What would you do to revive Troopers?

MarkC

I have a question. Since they are not fielding a corps in 2006, when they come back in 2007, according to DCI rules, don't they have to march in DII for the year until they announce they are going apply for DI in 2008? And then it would be subject to approval from the DCI board to march DI?

Regardless, I wish the Troopers the best of luck, and can't wait to see them regardless of their classification in 2007.

I hope they can get their finances in order, and I hope everyone who can will send donations, and heavily support their souvie stand when they tour the next time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. Since they are not fielding a corps in 2006, when they come back in 2007, according to DCI rules, don't they have to march in DII for the year until they announce they are going apply for DI in 2008? And then it would be subject to approval from the DCI board to march DI?

Regardless, I wish the Troopers the best of luck, and can't wait to see them regardless of their classification in 2007.

I hope they can get their finances in order, and I hope everyone who can will send donations, and heavily support their souvie stand when they tour the next time.

I have not hear a definitive answer to that question. Since DCI.org has kept them as a "member corps" on the website, my guess, and only a guess, is that they will be Div I and that their membership was only temporarily suspended.

The financials should be in order. The path is a good one that they are on right now. My guess is that the BOD will decide what Division, but I think they would not want to take one of the founding DCI corps and "America's Corps" to boot, and put them in Div II -- even for a year.

You can send donations NOW and buy souvies from the online sheep wagon. I have bought several t-shirts for my son. He is a budding euph player and will march for the first the with his HS this summer. If he wanted to march with the Troopers, with the management they now have, I would do my very best to make it happen!

But I don't think it has been said ... at least publicly, anything about what division they will be in.

Jim

It's up to the participation review committee. Anything is possible (except perhaps a brand-new corps entering division I their first year).

In the most recent example, Magic's 2002 return from a two-year hiatus, DCI considered reinstating them in division I. It would probably have happened if Magic had their current level of fundraising and infrastructure in place back then.

It's up to the participation review committee. Anything is possible (except perhaps a brand-new corps entering division I their first year).

Functionally, would it be much more expensive for Troop to march DI versus DII? If we were talking about Magic or another corps in a populous area, the answer is certainly yes. However, Troop would need to travel many miles regardless of their division...so I'm not sure it makes a big difference.

If anything, when they return, perhaps it should be a la Pacific Crest with a limited DI tour for a year or two.

I never understood that limited tour stuff and being in Div I. Isn't Div II set up so a light regional tour would fit, and then, if funding allows the DII corps can travel to finals to compete?

My complaint I guess is that other Div I corps are traveling every night almost and rehearsing all day, and performing, then repeating this step all summer. The Div I status would allow more every days for a limited tour, which allows more improvement to be made in a 12 hour rehearsal day, as opposed to a 6 hour show day.

This is the definition from dci.org:

Division I is a competitively determined division where corps can have up to 135 members. They assume extensive touring schedules averaging more than 10,000 miles each summer.

Division II corps have between 61 and 135 members competing in local and regional events. They travel primarily on the weekends and during the last two weeks of the season when championship events occur.

My question is how can a light or reduced schedule still make a Div I corps? When right in the text a Div I corps, by definition, has an extensive touring schedule.

It might make it financially easier, but it isn't the same demands as the other Div I corps.

I'm really glad to see so many people interested in getting the Troopers back to full strength in 2007! I think the suggested camps in Idaho and Utah would prove very beneficial.

Is the brand new facility in Casper capable of hosting camps? I would assume so, when bingo is not being held. If that is the case, maybe make best efforts to bring kids into Casper. To that end, how about sending Sabre Lines out to various locations for pick-ups?

Does Troopers administration have to make the call right now whether they believe they can attract enough kids to camps in Wyoming or must they make the call now to set up camps in Wy, Ut, Id and maybe even Colorado?

Even though Casper is "out there" geographically, I still think b/w the University of Wyoming and all the college and high school music programs in Wy, Ut, Id and Colorado (even w/ Blue Knights), there must be quality brass, percussion and guard to attract.

Speaking of names on staff to attract kids - How about either Ralph Hardimon or Tom Float? Both are legends in marching percussion and both are geographically, relatively close. I think either one of those guys would create enough buzz for quality drummers to head to Casper.

Si si. . .

Ideally, information would be ready to hand out this summer at shows in which the Troopers have their souvie booth.

Only 9 months until first camp for 2007. While it seems like a long ways off, it's really just in a few days.

best,

Chuck

A thread I put up some time ago addressed ideas to help recruitment. Just a suggestion, but if possible, I would be putting a "Life as a Trooper" video together consisting of footage from actually auditions, actual winter rehearsals, actual footage of life on the road and Trooper pre-show prep and warmups, show performances, etc. Hand-outs and sign up sheets are good, but I believe if corps that are struggling with recruiting gave away (or sold at a VERY nominal price) a "What it's like to be in our corps" kind of video/DVD that gives potential members that walk by the souvie booth a much better idea of what drum corps is about, December and January camps might have more bodies.

If I am looking at some activity/business I might be interested in, a video/DVD that shows what that activity/business is about with actual people who are involved in it in "action" would either go a long way to sell me on it or indicate that I'm not interested. I know there's show DVD's, but I'm talking about the real, behind the scenes kind of stuff that really gives a person a much better idea of what it's really like to be in drum corps. A video that focuses on recruitment may very well help.

Edited by HISop

I really hope that the troopers make a full comeback... I've always looked up to the troopers and I want to see them make finals someday... I would've marched for them in the past, but being 6'7" makes it hard on your knees in general. If I had more years left to march, I would do troops when they come back... but seeing as (not counting this season) I only have 2 seasons left to march, I want to go out with a bang... I'll probably march crown or phantom. good luck to my favorite corps! BTW, I'd change some things, but G bugles probably need to stay. It's a symbol of the corps

The best thing the Troopers can do and I believe they are on their way to doing is to provide a consistent quality from to to bottom. Having excellent instructors and administration in place with good equipment will recruit more than anything. From 98 to 2000, we grew from 68 members to around 110. After the 99 season we had a few who didn't return, but not one person went to another corps for the 2000 season. We finished as a 21st place corps, but we were going places, things were run pretty well, and it was an exciting time to be part of the corps. Then things just didn't stay together for whatever reason.

That has not been so true the past few seasons. There have been many wonderful individuals involved, but it takes more than that. I was a music student at the University of Idaho and if someone asked me about joining a corps, I was more likely to tell them to check our Seattle or one of the California corps. I wish I could have told them that the Troopers at the time was a first class experience, but at the time it wasn't close to being the professional experience overall that a college music student expects.

So in closing, I believe people are in place to break out of what I call the "survival" attitude that the corps has had and provide a great drum corps experience. Geographically, the people are there I believe and they want the chance to take part in something great.