What would you do to revive Troopers?

MarkC

You are the new Troopers Director given the mission of fielding a quality 135 member Div I corps in 2007 - How do you go about it? Offer auditions in multiple cities? Reach agreement w/ U of Wyoming to offer credit for tour?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both good ideas. The University credits are always a good point of entry, and I'm sure it wouldn't be infringing too much on the other corps to offer auditions in Colorado, Nevada and Texas.

Switching to Bb for financial reasons (resale and getting more kids in the door with less training time invested) is probably in order as well. I know G's are tradition, but I think that all things considered, it would be for the best.

Identity wise, not much to change. Troop is still "America's Corps", and has some great brand identity to build on. Great souvies as well....and with I'm sure 2007 will bring a rush to buy "We're back!' merch.

I think maybe one visual/percussion "big name" may be needed to bring a few curious souls in and raise awareness of the program as rebuilt, retooled and ready to get back into the Top 12.

As I understand it, Chuck will still be there in 2007 (which is great news, he's one of the most consistent arrangers of the past 12-15 years IMO), so that will help already.

Maybe grabbing the visual designer from a 6-8th place finisher such as Crown/Boston to step things up a little in that department...along with of course, some home grown Troop folks to keep the "Long Blue Line" tradition strong.

Show wise, plenty to choose from and still have it be "Trooper". Charles Ives is just as "American" as Copland or Bernstein. Maybe a nod to Ron Nelson even..."RPH" would be fun to hear again, and would be a dynamic chart for them to do.

However it plays out, I can't wait to see them back. :)

I agree on all of the above, especially getting some names...not just to write, but to teach as well.

Also, look back at the last 20 years...see what worked and what didn't. Sometimes you tried too hard to be "the Troopers" and put some real reaches out there. Look at some older stuff, and see if it can be adapted to todays style of design....keep the flair and identity, but modernize the design.

But first and foremost, get your financial house in order. People will be very suspcious and you'll have to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have your ducks in a row

Show wise, plenty to choose from and still have it be "Trooper". Charles Ives is just as "American" as Copland or Bernstein. Maybe a nod to Ron Nelson even..."RPH" would be fun to hear again, and would be a dynamic chart for them to do.

On the topic of music, I was listening to Scouts' 88 show and realized that the opener had a very "Troopers-esque" feel to it.

They are a long ways from looking for staff for 2007, but I think Mike Ottoes has done a brilliant job thus far as the new exec director.

Are Bb/F horns in order? Might make it a little easier to recruit.

I would love to see them build on the tradition and move forward. I think they need to go back to the old unis or something similar. The image has to be upgraded without losing the "Honor, Loyalty and Tradition" -- but again Mike is doing that.

The financial house is pretty much in order now. Lots of steps have been taken.

I read where the Troopers, competing at times with the Blue Knights, had trouble recruiting -- BK would have fancy full color brochures to hand out. The Troopers had photocopies in the booth next to them. Again, this kind of image thing seems to be being addressed.

When growing up in Northern Colorado in the 70s, the Troopers were the elite corps and BK was an "exhibition" corps. The Troopers have to recruit from Colorado and around the region. Tradition will bring lots in. Great music and cool unis will too.

A camp in Idaho would probably be a big boost.

But all in all, I think Mr. Ottoes is doing a great job. Perhaps Jim Jones is smiling from heaven.

Jim

Having judged in Utah, I know there's talent galore in the state. I also know the demographic of that state (as well as Idaho) that make it more difficult for young males to march corps because of their religious affiliation. But that doesn't mean recruiting/camps shouldn't be had in those states.

And I'm no expert by far, but when reading about the difference in the handouts to people, yes, that DOES make a difference. Anything that registers with people that there's some thought and effort behind what's being put out makes a difference. It worked for VK back in 1983. They had a 4 color glossy 4 fold brouchure they put out. And it didn't take long for VK to step up a few notches and make finals. Someone down there had the right idea.

I am a little concerned however about the need for "a name" to be associated with the Troopers (all respect of course to Chuck). While many "names" out there are talented and there's no denying it, I worry about the ability to dedicate one's talents sufficiently to help with something like that. To me, it's not just a TECHNICAL commitment but an emotional/spiritual one as well. I may be looking to deep into that, but I would, as the Troopers, keep my options open and NOT subscribe to the "we need a name" to give us design/instruction legitimacy. I think there are plenty of talented people that may not have the endorsement of a drum/brass company backing them that would do well and even BETTER than a "name".

And one more thing. I'm a little on the ignorant side of the surrounding community support of The Troopers. I do remember reading that John Cougar Mellencamp did a concert fundraiser for them many years ago. Great idea. I think with the new blood in the management that networking and "greasing the slides" should be done in ALL areas. Not only the university and scholastic level, but local and statewide business leaders, political folks, and that sort of thing. I bet there's a probable need for The Troopers to rekindle or rebuild some of those types of relationships in their state.

Oh wait...and one more thing.

The Troopers should NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER forget or shun or degrade or make less important their impact and importance to the drum corps activity. Their show design and programming can be modern all day long and they COULD step up (as some are hinting) to the 21st century ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND keep an eye to their heritage. That would need to be a savy combination of marketing of their product, as well as smart programming and design of their shows...as well as in staff selection. There should be a requisite for new staff members to be "indoctrinated" (strong word--but that's all that came to mind) into the lore and history of the corps, so they know exactly what they're a part of and how important Troop is.

That's it...a little bit of free flowing consciousness whatever you call it, so I apologize for grammar problems.

They are a long ways from looking for staff for 2007, but I think Mike Ottoes has done a brilliant job thus far as the new exec director.

Actually, they need to line up as much of their staff as possible before September. They must get good people whenever they become available. But staff are also a valuable recruiting resource. Staff connections often determine where a corps can recruit successfully.

Actually, they need to line up as much of their staff as possible before September. They must get good people whenever they become available. But staff are also a valuable recruiting resource. Staff connections often determine where a corps can recruit successfully.

Si si. . .

Ideally, information would be ready to hand out this summer at shows in which the Troopers have their souvie booth.

Only 9 months until first camp for 2007. While it seems like a long ways off, it's really just in a few days.

best,

Chuck

Step #1 - change the name to "Super Troopers"

So if VK fails to materialize, then we could have Super Troop take the Division 1 comedic reins! GOOD IDEA!!!