Voice Coach Needed for Cadets

Byron

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say whether you're right or wrong about the increase lately, but I'll take your word for it. I've noticed it for a long time, that's all. Hope you liked pepperoni. :huh:

I dunno...maybe with BD this year, I should ask for cannoli instead.

"Leave the sabre. Take the cannoli." :P

does this mean they will say george Hopkins sleeps with the fishes?

:P

Why would they use brass staff to teach vocals? It's an entirely different instrument (brass vs. voice).

It would be like asking your percussion staff to teach the brass or the color guard.

Vocals are here to stay, and it only makes sense to bring qualified staff on board to teach it.

You would be surprised at the similarities between Brass and Vocals

You would be surprised at the similarities between Brass and Vocals

Just because two things are similar doesn't mean that a brass guy should teach vocals or vice versa.

That's like me saying "I play trumpet, therefore I am going to give clarinet lessons"

Just because two things are similar doesn't mean that a brass guy should teach vocals or vice versa.

That's like me saying "I play trumpet, therefore I am going to give clarinet lessons"

As a professional singer who's been in drum corps, I don't think it's a question of whether they SHOULD teach it.. it's a question of whether they COULD.. and they could -- quite easily.

The technique for proper vocal performance is basically the same as the technique for proper brass performance. The apparatus used - same. The connection to the resonators - same. The placement of the sound - same. The opening of the throat - same.

All the techniques taught to a great brassline are the same techniques taught by great vocal coaches... so you could have your brass staff (most of whom are actual teachers and have to be able to coach voice as part of their own training) coach vocal performers.

Here's the other thing.. Unless they are bringing in a "vocal line" -- meaning all those kids are gonna do is sing.. for the entire show.. and they need a full time coach.. why on earth would you need a full time vocal coach? A consultant? perhaps. Someone to come in the beginning to lay the ground work and return periodically to make sure the techniques and vocal health are being carefully observed -- but beyond that, you'd be paying somebody to sit around most of the time.. because once you get into ensemble.. the brass guys are usually running the music portion of the show anyway.

In general, you're not talking about them taking a kid from nowhere who's never played or sung a note of music in their lives.. you're talking about kids who are musicians first.. they understand the fundamentals of what they're doing.. teaching them to sing with good technique will not be difficult and would (and SHOULD) not require a specific vocal coach full time.

Based on what I know of both instruments and the instruction thereof, that's what I think.

Stef

Blue Devils had a vocal coach in the early 80s. Ray Atlas, currently singing at La Scala. The corps did not sing in competition, but it sure helped them play.

Always wanted one when I taught SCV as well. It really helps with intonation, quality, support and phrasing.

Not a big deal.

Absolutely! Vocal coach or not you guys had us sing a lot. I know it helped me and my tin ear! B)

As a professional singer who's been in drum corps, I don't think it's a question of whether they SHOULD teach it.. it's a question of whether they COULD.. and they could -- quite easily.

The technique for proper vocal performance is basically the same as the technique for proper brass performance. The apparatus used - same. The connection to the resonators - same. The placement of the sound - same. The opening of the throat - same.

All the techniques taught to a great brassline are the same techniques taught by great vocal coaches... so you could have your brass staff (most of whom are actual teachers and have to be able to coach voice as part of their own training) coach vocal performers.

Here's the other thing.. Unless they are bringing in a "vocal line" -- meaning all those kids are gonna do is sing.. for the entire show.. and they need a full time coach.. why on earth would you need a full time vocal coach? A consultant? perhaps. Someone to come in the beginning to lay the ground work and return periodically to make sure the techniques and vocal health are being carefully observed -- but beyond that, you'd be paying somebody to sit around most of the time.. because once you get into ensemble.. the brass guys are usually running the music portion of the show anyway.

In general, you're not talking about them taking a kid from nowhere who's never played or sung a note of music in their lives.. you're talking about kids who are musicians first.. they understand the fundamentals of what they're doing.. teaching them to sing with good technique will not be difficult and would (and SHOULD) not require a specific vocal coach full time.

Based on what I know of both instruments and the instruction thereof, that's what I think.

Stef

:rolleyes:

I also have done a great deal of singing, taken voice lessons and play brass instruments.

Everything Stef says is very true!

why on earth would you need a full time vocal coach? A consultant? perhaps.

from the yea.org article:

We are in search of a “coach” to join the Cadets’ instructional team. We are looking for someone local (in the tri-state area), who can make rehearsals and perhaps spend some time with the corps over the summer season.

I think it is more of a "consultant" type deal from this bit of info. How cool would it be if you could be the one to do it? :)