Voice Coach Needed for Cadets

Byron

Imagine Yevgeney Pleshenko during the long program at the olynpics complete a triple axle/triple toe, stop on the ice and start singing ?? LOL..Imagine a drum corps during a beautiful brass ballad, stop and let someone brab a microphone and start singing ?? both are ludicrous, does this mean its the future ??

~G~

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - so how will they be paid ?? I guess more fundraising...or higher ticket prices ? Vocal coach needed to work on a members vocal skills, not brass, percussion, or marching skills.

No marching block today, we are going to learn our scales !!! LOL

Cheating ?? no, pathetic ? yup..not drum corps ? you bet.

Pissy, badgering, silly, all of the above.

~G~

I would assume the vocal coach is for the vocalist. If Cadets couldn't afford to pay for the role, they wouldn't be seeking one. Again, not defending vocals as doubtless I will be as annoyed by the use of them this year as last, just saying, the criticism here isn't exactly warranted.

Blue Devils had a vocal coach in the early 80s. Ray Atlas, currently singing at La Scala. The corps did not sing in competition, but it sure helped them play.

Always wanted one when I taught SCV as well. It really helps with intonation, quality, support and phrasing.

Not a big deal.

Imagine Yevgeney Pleshenko during the long program at the olynpics complete a triple axle/triple toe, stop on the ice and start singing ?? LOL..Imagine a drum corps during a beautiful brass ballad, stop and let someone brab a microphone and start singing ?? both are ludicrous, does this mean its the future ??

~G~

Actually it's not that ludicrous since drum corps is already a musical idiom anyway, while ice skating is not.

Big argument for me si that vocals/narration don't match up to the professional sounding brass/percussion. As we push for more "concert" style playing, we might as well not half-### the vocal component.

Even though I'm not for amped vocals like this, this move makes sense in a pedagogical way.

I'd rather it hear it done well, than amateurish....which would bring down a good part of this show, judging by how much they're using it.

Guess we'll see.

It's just smut. You want to sing, fine join a choir. You want to play on your saxes and oboes, fine play in a community band/orch. Somethings need to be held sacred...... just bothers me that a vocal coach is needed for a DRUM CORPS.

Just a question? How does voice get scored on the sheets? I mean, isn't it about what you play or is it anything that is interpreted as 'musical'? I guess I just question how do you rate one group that plays w/ nothing but traditional instruments against someone that sings and has synthized amplification? (Note: not making this into an anti-amp topic)