Voice Coach Needed for Cadets

Byron

It's just smut. You want to sing, fine join a choir. You want to play on your saxes and oboes, fine play in a community band/orch. Somethings need to be held sacred...... just bothers me that a vocal coach is needed for a DRUM CORPS.

Jeez, smut. Isn't that a bit much? Drum corps have been singing in shows for years and they're going to keep doing it. Infact, someone already mentioned in this thread about the Blue Devils hiring a vocal coach in the 80s, not that they were singing in the show, but to help with aural skills and the like (something EVERY musician does at some point or another). Drum corps is already sacred in the fact that it's drum corps.

Just a question? How does voice get scored on the sheets? I mean, isn't it about what you play or is it anything that is interpreted as 'musical'? I guess I just question how do you rate one group that plays w/ nothing but traditional instruments against someone that sings and has synthized amplification? (Note: not making this into an anti-amp topic)

I think it has more to do with vocals sounding good, and as others said, up to par with the brass and percussion stuff going on. I'm surprised we haven't had people with more vocal experience on staff before amps. Singing is pretty beneficial, otherwise every music major in school wouldn't have to do it, now would they? You're getting awfully excited over a such a little thing. By the way, I noticed that you're a guard person, I found it odd how upset you are over something like this. Of course I don't know your whole backround, so I can't really say.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but that really didn't answer the question. (Self Edit because it reads wrong)

Anyone on a brass staff know how voice is scored as far as the Musical sheets/Effect goes? Has there been any discussions on it?

Edited by MHSmirage

No offense, but that really didn't answer the question. (Self Edit because it reads wrong)

Anyone on a brass staff know how voice is scored as far as the Musical sheets/Effect goes? Has there been any discussions on it?

I asked that same question a few posts back and am still waiting for an answer...

I'm trying to discuss with you.

Don't get pissy.

I'm not getting pissy...But I am tired of getting tarred and feathered around here for asking a question and trying to have a discussion in a discussion forum...and I'm not saying you are doing that but I'm just tired of it.

Edited by Lancerlady

I asked that same question a few posts back and am still waiting for an answer...

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.org/forums//ind...showtopic=71028

George Hopkins says narration is scored under effect. I would assume that, until the sheets are changed to include a specific vocal score, that singing would also be scored under effect, as well.

George Hopkins says narration is scored under effect. I would assume that, until the sheets are changed to include a specific vocal score, that singing would also be scored under effect, as well.

I know he said that but just because he said that it's not written in stone right?...I think they need to change the sheets to reflect it ALL... if you ask me. I think it needs to include the amplification and vocals..all of it needs to be judged on its own merits. Not just some blanketed GE score where they can get away with it if they have a sorry show with amps..

Oops..don't want to get off on that topic... :worthy:

Edited by Lancerlady

A little off topic, but we are talking about vocals....

When Spirit did The Color Purple I thought it would be the deal to have a 20 member gospel choir come out and sing "God's Tryin' to Tell You Somethin'" while the corps wailed away! (their actual interpretation was very weak, IMHO)

I still hold out hope for a high school band to use my idea.

Now, back to the topic at hand....

I too think this is a VERY slippery slope.....we DO have to hold our traditions in the highest regards to drum corps & it's history. While it may "seem" harmless to admit vocals & amplification, woodwinds have already been discussed & that is treason in my book. (just my opinion, folks) We HAVE to draw the line somewhere!

OK, NOW back to the topic at hand...LOL

I think a vocal coach would make that part of their show better. I agree that the vocals last year were a bit amateurish, and that's being nice. (I really hated the whole bit of it...sssshhh!) So if it makes them better this year, as much as I hate to say it, I think they should seek out the best. Yeah, they can afford it.:-)

Edited by garfield_cadets

I would imagine that one could rationalise singing being judged on the music ensemble sheet as well.

Edited by MagicAlto99

I like pizza.
pepperoni and onions on mine please.