Your first Drum Corps Video?

My first video of DCI was '84 Finals taped from the PBS broadcast, only because we didn't have a VCR before that. My first live show was the US Open in Marion, Ohio in 1977. My first audio recording was made by holding an old cassette recorder up to the TV speaker during the 1978 PBS broadcast of DCI.

####, I'm old!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first show I ever saw was the bluecoats home show in 1979

first televised show I ever saw was 1979 DCI finals on PBS

first drum corps video I ever owned was a copy of the 1986 High Camera which had Blue Devils, Spirit, Boston, Bluecoats, and Connexion Quebec on it plus the guy that copied it for me threw on some various other shows pre 1986

1st Drum Corps Video I ever bought was 1989 finals.

OK...here goes...the video was of the 1973 Santa Clara Vanguard, and I saw it the summer of 1974...since our high school band was performing YPG the fall...then I went to all of prelims and finals championships the summers of 1975 and 1976...oh...actually I marched the summer of 1975, so other than my corps...the first corps I saw live was either the 1975 27th Lancers or Muchachos...I forget which one, but both were life changing....

First video I ever owned was actually a DVD. :P

I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I know that it was either the Cavaliers Championship Years DVD, or the 2003 Championships DVD.

My first exposure to drum corps was in 1999, when our high school practiced alongside the Blue Devils. I watched the PBS broadcast that year, and then the following year I attended my first show, in the RCA Dome, and I've been going there ever since.

First "video" I ever saw was a video of our own show in 74 that was recorded on one of those monsterous reel to reel video recorders that were used in that time. Prior to that, every year we would show "The Troopers are Coming", "Competitive Drum Corps"(after 73) and another movie that the Cavies made in the 60s(can't remember the title) at recruting functions. The first video I owned would have been one of the early 80s finals on VHS.....I bought a whole bunch of em' at the same time, so I can't say which was first.

As for audio...who remembers the days when you were allowed to take tape recorders into shows? I had the entire 73 DCI Finals on cassette that I recorded from the stands!

Edited by Bob Brady

First video I saw was the '97 PBS broadcast at band camp my rookie year. I'm pretty sure I was amazed, but I was in 7th grade at the time... also, pretty much every PBS broadcast from that point through '02

First tape I owned was half of the '01 PBS broadcast that I taped before leaving my house for band camp.

My first show that I saw was ECJ's home show, my first year marching...'04

Saw live shows for several years before I saw, owned a video.

Saw the PBS LIVE broadcasts several times also before owning a video.

1992 videos are the first ones I owned.

Edited by shawn craig