Your first Drum Corps Video?

The first time I was drum corps, it was a Saturday or Sunday morning and I was flipping throught the channels and came across what I think was 86 DCI finals on PBS, though thinking back now, it could have been 85. The corps that stood out were BD and SCV.

The first video I saw was 87 when my band director showed the marching band SCV and Garfield to show us marching style.

The first video I owned is a tie between Top 12 1989 and 1991, and the 88 Scouts Individual tape I bought through 1800VIDEOEXPRESS in 1992. Back then, if memory serves, top 12 cost $98 a pop and the individuals cost $38.

The first show I saw live was 1989 Bakersfield (where I live). The corps I remember being there were Mandarins, VK, Freelancers, SCV, and BD.

I remeber going to the sovie stands at the top of the standium and talking with a former sop player of the Freelancers who showed me a beat-up, buckle smashed chrome-plated King sop. While we were talking, the Freelancers took the field. That show is what made me want to join the Freelancers. They had a certain darkness that just sucked me in. The rest is history. I still have a few recruiting pamphlets the guy gave me in my box of Freelancers memories, includiing some guantlets, my dot book, drill charts and music from the 91 show.

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 1st video was a tv show called bands Of Gold (digging up the past ) back in 1983

1st DCI video would be the 1985

and now got most of the legacy collection

favourite dvd is BD tour video 99

Saw: 1997 Cavaliers in the Fall of 2001

First show 2003 Semi's in orlando

Owned 2003 Finals DVD/Taped 2002 PBS Broadcast

...whichever counts as owning more

First show I saw on tape was 91 Finals, specifically Star, BD, and Cavies. Still one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time.

The one I owned first was 1995 finals (since I marched in it)

The first corps show I ever saw live was the first one I was in. S FL doesn't get any shows. :)

My first video was a friends copy of the '83 PBS broadcast. I had never seen a live corps show. The first corps I saw was Madison doing "Strawberry Soup". One of the guys watching with me asked me "What do you think?" I simply replied, "I going to play that someday." with a huge smile on my face.

My first live performance was '84 Spirit from point blank range at their leadership camp. I sat less than 50 feet from Hunter Moss with him just wailing those solos. I remember thinking, "####!"

I never had the chance to march junior corps.

Fast forward 21 years. In 2005, I played "Strawbery Soup" with Corpvets and stood down front soloing with Hunter Moss. It was like a "full circle" thing for me.

I remember seeing something on PBS in 1998 but i didnt know what it was until the 1999 PBS was the first shows I ever seen and my first show i saw live was the 2002 Orlando show. Since then i have marched every year after =)

Two questions (just for fun to see where everyone started).

1) What was the first DCI Drum Corps video/DVD you ever owned?

2) Did you see that video/DVD before or after your first time seeing a DCI drum corps show live?

Here is my response...

1) 1980 Full finals.

2) Before seeing a drum corps show live.

(I'm going to start the same thread on the DCA forum so keep it just DCI on this one).

Well the first drum corps video I saw was my 1986 DCI Finals PBS recording. I saw my first drum corps back in 1982

I still have that original tape of the 1986 finals......I have played it to death through the years.....

Triple Forte