Sad Moments in Drum Corps

"Real Truth":

The fact that the "New Era" DCI/Summer Marching Band crowd has NO IDEA of "What Drum Corps Was Like" back in the 'Old School' days. Give the "Old School Bashers" credit: THEY WERE THERE.

And I seriously doubt that the "Talent Level" of todays band-corps participants is all that much greater than those who marched "Back In the Day". Try spewing that line to the likes of Al Chez, Frank Dorrite, Billy Cobham and Jeff Kievett.

Elphaba

Guess what..we saw the past and chose to move on! Sometimes I wish you would too! TIME CONTINUES ITS EVERPRESENT MARCH IN TO THE FUTURE.

The drumcorps of today are plenty talented..not that you would know..I'm sure you havent been to a show anytime recently. <**>

Edited by tubamann

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me there are a couple of sad moments.

1 - Being on tour with Sprit when "The Wreck" happened. I never will forget the next night we saw them. Man , I felt so sad for them. I will never forget talkin' with some of them. I'm getting choked up now just thinking about it.

2 - After being away from Drum corps for 22 years I returned to find that Drum corps has changed into a high priced broadway show that was performed for the judge's and not the fans ! <**>

Why dont you ask a kid from one of today's corps?? I would venture that they perform for fortune and glory and to become better musicians.

I suggest taking up golf if you don't enjoy drumcorps anymore.

Edited by tubamann

Why dont you ask a kid from one of today's corps?? I would venture that they perform for fortune and glory and to become better musicians.

not answering for Old Geezer.

But I still enjoy much, even most, of what drum corps has to offer today. I greatly miss some things from the past and I don't care for some changes. But still enjoy most of it.

I'd take up a lot of others things before I would ever consider golf. :P

2 - After being away from Drum corps for 22 years I returned to find that Drum corps has changed into a high priced broadway show that was performed for the judge's and not the fans ! <**>

Odd, as I sit and remember the cheering fans at the two shows I attended last year...lots of newer and legacy fans alike.

"Real Truth":

The fact that the "New Era" DCI/Summer Marching Band crowd has NO IDEA of "What Drum Corps Was Like" back in the 'Old School' days. Give the "Old School Bashers" credit: THEY WERE THERE.

And I seriously doubt that the "Talent Level" of todays band-corps participants is all that much greater than those who marched "Back In the Day". Try spewing that line to the likes of Al Chez, Frank Dorrite, Billy Cobham and Jeff Kievett.

Elphaba

You mention a few great players....it's the overall average talent level that has grown leaps and bounds, not the select few who were indeed...and are still...wonderful talents.

"Real Truth":

Elphaba

Guess what..we saw the past and chose to move on! Sometimes I wish you would too! TIME CONTINUES ITS EVERPRESENT MARCH IN TO THE FUTURE.

The drumcorps of today are plenty talented..not that you would know..I'm sure you havent been to a show anytime recently. <**>

For me there are a couple of sad moments.

1 - Being on tour with Sprit when "The Wreck" happened. I never will forget the next night we saw them. Man , I felt so sad for them. I will never forget talkin' with some of them. I'm getting choked up now just thinking about it.

2 - After being away from Drum corps for 22 years I returned to find that Drum corps has changed into a high priced broadway show that was performed for the judge's and not the fans ! thumbdown.gif

Why does it have to be a battle between old school and new school. Face the new school would not even be around if it wasn't for the old. Also, the new school innovations add to the excitement of Drum Corps. Instead of wasting time arguing have some respect for those that performed on the Field of Honor before you, those that are there today, and those to come.

Edited by jminton

And the opinion bashing is still going strong in this thread. : :blink:

Does, opinion bashing= difference of such ? :)

This thread is not about "NEW SCHOOL vs OLD SCHOOL".

We have about another 6 billion threads beating THAT dead horse. Keep this on topic or I will shut it down because if that is all we have to talk about here then the thread has obviously run its course.

Thank you