Brandt Crocker

What is his allegiance to the Cavaliers? Although he is the very best announcer I've ever heard (including myself), he's shown a little microphone bias over the years: when Cavies won the first time in '92, he SCREEEEAMED their name after announcing their score (he's usually more subdued). Then, in '02, he made it a point to announce them "undefeated" winners and dragged out that 99.15 score.

He never mentioned '04 BD or '00 Cadets being undefeated... nor did he dramatically announce Cadets' 99.15 last year (a much bigger score jump for them than was for Cavies).

I have studied media bias and looked at drum corps, as well. These might be slight stretches, but believe me, I've seen more subtle things. Regardless of any alliance he may have, he's still the best. I was just wondering why he's favored them a bit more.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is his allegiance to the Cavaliers? Although he is the very best announcer I've ever heard (including myself), he's shown a little microphone bias over the years: when Cavies won the first time in '92, he SCREEEEAMED their name after announcing their score (he's usually more subdued). Then, in '02, he made it a point to announce them "undefeated" winners and dragged out that 99.15 score.

He never mentioned '04 BD or '00 Cadets being undefeated... nor did he dramatically announce Cadets' 99.15 last year (a much bigger score jump for them than was for Cavies).

I have studied media bias and looked at drum corps, as well. These might be slight stretches, but believe me, I've seen more subtle things. Regardless of any alliance he may have, he's still the best. I was just wondering why he's favored them a bit more.

Hmmm... :wall: Don't know why he would have an attachment like that to the Cavaliers. I know that in 1989 his son marched with the Troopers and he even made a point to say "Troopers, and my son ____crocker (can't remember the name), you may enter the field for competition" any time he announced for a show that they were at. Cavies? Hmmmm... :wall:

I don't think it's media bias. I think it has more to do more with the situation being presented.

1992 - This was the first time that the Cavaliers had EVER won DCI. The situation is unique in that it is a first time corps winning DCI

2002 - again, this was the highest score ever achieved by any drum corps. The situation was another unique one - and the added dramatic effect of also being undefeated that season just made for a better story.

And btw - I work in advertising, so I know all about medai bias ;0)

Later,

Mike

I don't think it's media bias. I think it has more to do more with the situation being presented.

1992 - This was the first time that the Cavaliers had EVER won DCI. The situation is unique in that it is a first time corps winning DCI

Agreed. The place was already up for grabs when Star was announced in 3rd place. Dropping from 1st in Quarters, to 2nd in Semis. Then, when he announced 2nd place, all you heard was, "The Cade..." and then just sheer pandemoneum. You couldn't even hear "of Bergen County." That was a heck of a night of drum corps. And the Midwest fans got what they wanted, it seems. A first time victory for the Green Machine.

Well, the 92 announcement may have been a little extra enthusiastic since it was the first time that the Cavaliers had won DCI World Championships. They had been close for several years before, and they had been a major powerhouse long before the days of DCI.

02 - Cavies were simply on a different plane that year. They were untouchable, as was reflected in the undefeated season and the almost 2 point lead over the second place corps that year.

He never mentioned 04 BD as undefeated, because they were not undefeated. They finished second. They were not undefeated in 03 either if that's the year you meant. And with the tie in 00, the lack of the announcement of hte undefeated season is not much of a surprise. I thought he was pretty enthusiastic in announcing the Cadets last year. The Cadets big score jump was a bit of a surprise, but the Cavaliers scores were consistently in the stratosphere (indicating it was not a finals night fluke of spreading scores to make sure there were no erroneous placements vs. a consistently stellar performance). Perhaps it's just a perception thing, since "The Cadets" is harder to emphasize (because it's a shorter name), than "The Cavaliers".

i was there in '92 and you're not kidding that it was crazy when they announced the CBC score.

The justifications are all welcomed, folks. I realize the Cavies were around long before Star, but he seemed pretty blase about Indy winning THEIR first. Not to mention Phantom... but he was struggling with HOW to tell us DCI finally had a tie at the top. lol Kill the messenger? hehe Anyway, I don't have the answer I want yet. :P

Now.. go to the marketplace, and BUY MY STUFF! ^0^