Brandt Crocker

TO EVERYONE!

I AM NOT SAYING CROCKER IS OR EVER WAS A BAD/BIASED ANNOUNCER! ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE HEARD, LIKE THE PERSON WHO STARTED THE TOPIC, HIS TONE OF VOICE CHANGE FOR HIS EXCITEMENT FOR CERTAIN SHOWS! NOT TO DISPLAY THIS EXCITEMENT FOR EVERY CORPS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE UNPROFESSIONAL!

Wow - what a relief! He's not a bad announcer after all, just unprofessional. Whew! :wall:

I guess that's a "good" unprofessional, not a "bad" unprofessional....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay okay. I got it! I have the solution!!! Maybe each corps should just bring their own announcer! Then we wouldnt have to spend time worrying if a man who clearly just likes an activity is playing favorites. Every announcer would be playing favorites! "Oh thats Brandt Crocker! I wonder what The CAVALIERS!!! Got?!"

Hindenburg and WWII are examples of announcers relating information in a way similar to what you want to accuse Brandt of doing "unprofessionally" -- it absolutely relates.

All three situations are emotionally charged situations in which a PROFESSIONAL announcer related information effectively, truthfully and WITH EMOTION to a waiting, listening audience.

Showing emotion doesn't make you unprofessional.. and for the record, I realize YOUR opinion is that it's unprofessional.. and you're entitled to it.. whether you want to explain why effectively or not.

My opinion is that you're wrong and I've given you reasons why I think my opinion is valid and yours is wrong. That's how you argue a point legitimately.

Stef

I've honestly never paid enough attention to have my own opinion on this, but after reading through the thread I do have to comment. Stef, these announcers of whom you speak weren't showing excitement (or any emotion) over other derigibles crashing or wars ending. There's a bit of a difference between big news and competition announcements. I know what you're trying to go for there, but the point wasn't 100% what you were shooting for.

I also don't think that the point of these guys' opinions was to insult Crocker; they're just stating that those particular years they think he showed more emotion for specific corps. In a way that is unprofessional (if it happened, but like I said, I don't know if it did). So regardless, please realize that these guys aren't saying he's not a fan or that he's the worst announcer ever or that he should be hung upside-down by his toenails. It's just people pointing out something they hear in his voice that's different from what they heard in the other announcements from the same year.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Oh, OK. But you did say this:

And this:

And also this:

So you never used the word "biased". But you did pretty much define that word with the above quotes. Perhaps you can understand our confusion now.

:wall: Is exactly how I feel to every single response I am recieving. Sure, pick a few quotes from my 1000 defense responses, and it makes me look like the ###! :wall: My head is literally hurting that I can't convey that showing emotion in a competitive event, DRUM CORPS, for example, is my opinion of unprofessional! You want to talk bias, lets, but until then I havent brought up his opinions of corps, only his tone of voice! This is just another word that is going to start another attack that I will have to defend myself on, where I truly shouldnt have to! I have stated my opinion, and now am being picked apart because of it!

I think it's great that there is a voice for DCI competitions. and I think Mr. Crocker does a fine job. Having heard him over the years, I would not spend any time trying to figure out whether or not he may be biased towards one corps or another. On the other hand, some of his mispronunciations have been hilarious--such as when, annnouncing the Glassmen's show in 1997, he pronouncet Bizet phonetically, rather than Bizay, as one would expect, or when anouncing the Colt's Magnificat show (? year) he pronounced it magni-fee-cat. Got to love the guy!! Hey, he clearly loves our activity. Isn't that enough?

Wow - what a relief! He's not a bad announcer after all, just unprofessional. Whew! :wall:

I guess that's a "good" unprofessional, not a "bad" unprofessional....

This and your post is getting ridiculously unfair! I have said that he has been unprofessional in certain situations, WHICH DOES NOT MAKE HIM A TERRIBLE ANNOUNCER! Yet, you vulture off like everyone else is and tries to make me look like an idiot, which I tried to make very clear that I am not trying to cause anyone any harm, and then look at you!

Oh, and by the way, having gone through DCI's and my own recording archives and heard his work from 1972 through the present day, let me just say that what I have heard is, IMO, "professional".

Oh and by the way, how many times do I have to repeat myself in saying that he is not an unprofessional/terrible announcer! All I am saying is that he has had a few moments of unprofessional-ness!

why is it that all of a sudden a true icon is being dragged under the bus because of someone's opinon?!!!! someone thinks he's "bias", then all of a sudden he's "unprofessional" you guys are sick <**>

I agree! I mean, this is Drum Corps Planet. We are supposed to be the ones who know everything related to drum corps in complete perfection and void of all false rumor, misconception and malicious gossip!

***sarcasm button off***

Edited by torn8o