Brandt Crocker

"everybody here" is NOT saying it.

ONE guy says it.. and just about everyone else who's come in here has said they've never heard it.. even offered suppositions about what might have been the cause of what he heard..

That's quite a different story and maybe you should take some of your own advice?

Stef

Im not insulting anybody though, "

QUOTE(Marc66 @ Mar 1 2006, 03:53 PM)

You have no idea what you are talking about!!!"

And maybe I shouldnt have overexaggerated by saying everyone, but I thought as a general consensus people did agree that Mr. Crocker's tone was quite different

Edited by yabetterbelieveit

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TO EVERYONE!

I AM NOT SAYING CROCKER IS OR EVER WAS A BAD/BIASED ANNOUNCER! ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE HEARD, LIKE THE PERSON WHO STARTED THE TOPIC, HIS TONE OF VOICE CHANGE FOR HIS EXCITEMENT FOR CERTAIN SHOWS! NOT TO DISPLAY THIS EXCITEMENT FOR EVERY CORPS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE UNPROFESSIONAL! I WOULD NEVER, NEVER, TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE I CONSIDER THAT TO BE RUDE! I DIDN'T SAY WHAT I DID TO STRIKE CONTROVERSY, ONLY TO STATE MY OPINION!!!!!!

Im not insulting anybody though,

QUOTE(Marc66 @ Mar 1 2006, 03:53 PM)

You have no idea what you are talking about!!!"

And maybe I shouldnt have overexaggerated by saying everyone, but I thought as a general consensus people did agree that Mr. Crocker's tone was quite different

You ARE insulting somebody, though. His name is Brandt Crocker.

The consensus is that Brandt Crocker is a fan of drum corps, period.

Showing vocal inflection that REFLECTS the situation is not "unprofessional." Was it unprofessional for the announcer to begin weeping during the reporting of the Hindenburg Disaster? Was it unprofessional for radio announcers to be jubilant upon announcing that WWII had ended??

On the contrary, vocal inflection HUMANIZES the disembodied voice floating above us for the hours we're in that stadium and kind of wraps the whole night up in a big shiny bow.

I'm sure he gets excited when exciting things happen.. kind of like Cavaliers winning their first championship.. or Garfield's three-peat.. or the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps entering the field in exhibition ... or the PR/BD championship tie.. or announcing the passing of a cherished member of the drum corps community (yes, he was crying.. you can hear it).

The concensus is NOT that his tone or delivery was "unprofessional" but that if it happened his delivery showed a change from the last time he announced a world champion, it could have been caused by any number of things -- up to and including the din of the crowd or the excitement of the moment after a week's or a season's worth of buildup.. or excitement because a kid he knew was aging out with a ring!

Unprofessional would be pumping his fist, screaming "#### YEAH.. THE CAVALIERS!! WOOO BABY!! CAVIES PWN J00!!" and telling everyone who lost to suck it.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

You ARE insulting somebody, though. His name is Brandt Crocker.

The consensus is that Brandt Crocker is a fan of drum corps, period.

Showing vocal inflection that REFLECTS the situation is not "unprofessional" -- on the contrary, it HUMANIZES the disembodied voice floating above us for the hours we're in that stadium and kind of wraps the whole night up in a big shiny bow.

I'm sure he gets excited when exciting things happen.. kind of like Cavaliers winning their first championship.. or Garfield's three-peat.. or the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps entering the field in exhibition ... or the PR/BD championship tie.. or announcing the passing of a cherished member of the drum corps community (yes, he was crying.. you can hear it).

The concensus is NOT that his tone or delivery was "unprofessional" but that if it happened his delivery showed a change from the last time he announced a world champion, it could have been caused by any number of things -- up to and including the din of the crowd or the excitement of the moment after a week's or a season's worth of buildup.. or excitement because a kid he knew was aging out with a ring!

Unprofessional would be pumping his fist, screaming "#### YEAH.. THE CAVALIERS!! WOOO BABY!! CAVIES PWN J00!!" and telling everyone who lost to suck it.

Stef

You know what, Im not even going to say what I want to because I know, no matter how level headed of a response it is, I am going to get 12000 responses to it saying how wrong I am, no matter how much I try to rationilize MY opinion without insulting anyone! Im sorry that "THE CONSENSUS" of users don't think that is unprofessional, but I do. And bringing in the WWII ending and Hindeburg disaster are COMPLETELY different situations! If you're going to argue a point, at least do it using legitimacy!

You know what, Im not even going to say what I want to because I know, no matter how level headed of a response it is, I am going to get 12000 responses to it saying how wrong I am, no matter how much I try to rationilize MY opinion without insulting anyone! Im sorry that "THE CONSENSUS" of users don't think that is unprofessional, but I do. And bringing in the WWII ending and Hindeburg disaster are COMPLETELY different situations! If you're going to argue a point, at least do it using legitimacy!

Hindenburg and WWII are examples of announcers relating information in a way similar to what you want to accuse Brandt of doing "unprofessionally" -- it absolutely relates.

All three situations are emotionally charged situations in which a PROFESSIONAL announcer related information effectively, truthfully and WITH EMOTION to a waiting, listening audience.

Showing emotion doesn't make you unprofessional.. and for the record, I realize YOUR opinion is that it's unprofessional.. and you're entitled to it.. whether you want to explain why effectively or not.

My opinion is that you're wrong and I've given you reasons why I think my opinion is valid and yours is wrong. That's how you argue a point legitimately.

Stef

Hindenburg and WWII are examples of announcers relating information in a way similar to what you want to accuse Brandt of doing "unprofessionally" -- it absolutely relates.

All three situations are emotionally charged situations in which a PROFESSIONAL announcer related information effectively, truthfully and WITH EMOTION to a waiting, listening audience.

Showing emotion doesn't make you unprofessional.. and for the record, I realize YOUR opinion is that it's unprofessional.. and you're entitled to it.. whether you want to explain why effectively or not.

My opinion is that you're wrong and I've given you reasons why I think my opinion is valid and yours is wrong. That's how you argue a point legitimately.

Stef

First WWII and Hindeburg are completely out of context. Since when was announcing disasters and end of wars with emotion anything like announcing the results of a competition??!! You can't possibly compare the two! Just because they are PROFESSIONAL announcers doesnt mean that between the three they have COMPLETELY different audiences! I'll make an effective example for you.... In this past Olympics, what if the announcer of the winning womens skater said her scores with more excitement and enthusiasm than the others, simply because it was her first medal at the Olmypics! What right does the announcer have to inflict his opinion upon the audience when not all the audience shares it! If you are going to be announcing some sort of competition (i.e. drum corps, ice skating, (what have you)), even being a referee of sport, you have to be nuetral!

Im not saying hes biased! All I'm saying is that can be considered unprofessional!

Oh, OK. But you did say this:

Yea, but he should NEVER convey to the audience his personal emotions. If he's going to get excited about one corps, he should do it for EVERY corps, regardless of the situation. Very unprofessional.

And this:

If everyone here is saying he gets over excited about certain corps (The Cavaliers), and nobody is denying it, then I consider that to be unprofessional, no matter how often or not often it happens.

And also this:

The facts show he can get over excited for certains wins/corps, and not other corps of the same year! His job is to be nuetral and announce what the judges have decided!!!!

So you never used the word "biased". But you did pretty much define that word with the above quotes. Perhaps you can understand our confusion now.