Brandt Crocker

Oh, and by the way, having gone through DCI's and my own recording archives and heard his work from 1972 through the present day, let me just say that what I have heard is, IMO, "professional".

Hear, Hear! :wall:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I am not going to take this ######## from all of you anymore. I am being bullied for my opinion, made fun of, and mocked! I haven't done that to a single one of you up until now, and I do not appreciate the low blows and complete lack of courtesy! Shame on all of you that have done that.

You know what, I am not going to take this ######## from all of you anymore. I am being bullied for my opinion, made fun of, and mocked! I haven't done that to a single one of you up until now, and I do not appreciate the low blows and complete lack of courtesy! Shame on all of you that have done that.

But why did you say that Crocker was a bad announcer? :P

I've honestly never paid enough attention to have my own opinion on this, but after reading through the thread I do have to comment. Stef, these announcers of whom you speak weren't showing excitement (or any emotion) over other derigibles crashing or wars ending. There's a bit of a difference between big news and competition announcements. I know what you're trying to go for there, but the point wasn't 100% what you were shooting for.

I also don't think that the point of these guys' opinions was to insult Crocker; they're just stating that those particular years they think he showed more emotion for specific corps. In a way that is unprofessional (if it happened, but like I said, I don't know if it did). So regardless, please realize that these guys aren't saying he's not a fan or that he's the worst announcer ever or that he should be hung upside-down by his toenails. It's just people pointing out something they hear in his voice that's different from what they heard in the other announcements from the same year.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Nex,

I see your point.. and my point was that showing emotion does not = unprofessional. Even in a sporting event -- I suppose hearing Ron Santo report.. "annnnddd.. ittttssssss.. GOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!" is unprofessional, too? In the context of the moment.. no. If Dan Rather had done something similar on the nightly news, I would say, yes... that's probably a little less professional than I expect..

The bottom line is.. it's an opinion of professionality. WE are not professionals -- yet WE have formed an opinion of what's appropriate in that field... and I totally agree with you that it's NOT that big of a deal.. though I'm a little flabbergasted that people will go to the length of comparing the announcement of one championship in one year over the announcement of another in another year and pronounce that the announcer is biased because of how he said it or didn't say it one of those times.. it follows the conspiratorial nature of "things we don't understand" in this community.

In other words.. if it happens and we don't understand fully WHY it happens.. then it must be that someone sat in a dark back room conspiring with other dark figures.. twisting their handlebar moustaches and cackling as they hatched that dastardly plan to make it happen.. It's all too "film noir" for me to swallow.

I also agree that it probably wasn't his intent to insult Brandt, either.. but he did.. and it seemed he wasn't aware of it when he claimed he wasn't insulting anyone. I don't want to string the guy up for it.. but if he wants to come on here and tell others to "think about what you say before you say it.." and then turn around and appear to need to take his own advice.. well.. I'm gonna point out the inconsistency. :)

An interesting debate, nonetheless..

Stef

:wall:

Seriously?

I'm so not getting that. Sure your argument isn't holding up to debate.. but.. okay.. sometimes arguments fail.

Sorry you feel the need to leave the discussion because of it.

Stef

Nex,

I see your point.. and my point was that showing emotion does not = unprofessional. Even in a sporting event -- I suppose hearing Ron Santo report.. "annnnddd.. ittttssssss.. GOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!" is unprofessional, too? In the context of the moment.. no. If Dan Rather had done something similar on the nightly news, I would say, yes... that's probably a little less professional than I expect..

The bottom line is.. it's an opinion of professionality. WE are not professionals -- yet WE have formed an opinion of what's appropriate in that field... and I totally agree with you that it's NOT that big of a deal.. though I'm a little flabbergasted that people will go to the length of comparing the announcement of one championship in one year over the announcement of another in another year and pronounce that the announcer is biased because of how he said it or didn't say it one of those times.. it follows the conspiratorial nature of "things we don't understand" in this community.

In other words.. if it happens and we don't understand fully WHY it happens.. then it must be that someone sat in a dark back room conspiring with other dark figures.. twisting their handlebar moustaches and cackling as they hatched that dastardly plan to make it happen.. It's all too "film noir" for me to swallow.

I also agree that it probably wasn't his intent to insult Brandt, either.. but he did.. and it seemed he wasn't aware of it when he claimed he wasn't insulting anyone. I don't want to string the guy up for it.. but if he wants to come on here and tell others to "think about what you say before you say it.." and then turn around and appear to need to take his own advice.. well.. I'm gonna point out the inconsistency. :)

An interesting debate, nonetheless..

Stef

For the last time, before any else is lazy enough not to actually find out why I was saying it, I said it because the poster made a rude comment personally to me. Since when was pointing out a few 'erks' in somebody's career an insult? Read the entire post and comprehend everything I say (which clearly has explained everything you just posted about), don't just take out the words youd like to use against the poster.

For the last time, before any else is lazy enough not to actually find out why I was saying it, I said it because the poster made a rude comment personally to me. Since when was pointing out a few 'erks' in somebody's career an insult? Read the entire post and comprehend everything I say (which clearly has explained everything you just posted about), don't just take out the words youd like to use against the poster.

Oh. But why did you say that Crocker does not have a good voice for announcing? :P

And, why did you say that you don't think we should have an anouncer at drum corps shows because he's "amplified"? :lolhit:

Yea, but he should NEVER convey to the audience his personal emotions. If he's going to get excited about one corps, he should do it for EVERY corps, regardless of the situation. Very unprofessional.

Here's what you originally said.

Speaking as a professional performer, if someone who doesn't do what I do and really doesn't have much background in what I do other than to watch or listen to me doing it once or twice a year comes out and says to me, "the way you are doing that is very unprofessional," that's insulting. The thought that goes through my mind as a professional in my field is.. "you don't know what the #### you're talking about." Naturally, I don't SAY that to you, I smile and thank you for your comments.. but it IS insulting.

Are YOU a professional announcer? You chose to use the Olympics as an example.. but I would go even further and say what Brandt does is closer to sports announcing -- and are you going to tell me that "the voice of the Cubs" showing emotion when announcing an exciting play or a big hit (whether it's the Cubs or the opposing team) is unprofessional? Really?? Because, again, I'd say you are wrong.

In sports, the announcer is not just there to report the news.. the announcer is there to call the action.. give the play by play.. and if the play by play is exciting, that's going to REFLECT in his voice.

Same goes for drum corps. If the announcer there is just going to report everthing completely inflectionless, I'm going to stop listening to him pretty quick and the show sponsors will have wasted their money on him..

In this activity, Brandt is "the voice" for us.. how many of us in the past ten years or so have shouted along with him, "PRIIIIZE PATROOOOLLL!"? He's one of us.. and the fact that he loves and interacts with this activity is WHY he needs to be emotionally connected to us through the inflection in his voice.

It all boils down to we don't know why he inflects on way or another in any given year or for any given corps.. for all we know he's had a raging case of the squirts all day and inflecting causes leakage. (sorry for the graphic imagery.. I'm trying to make a point many of us can relate to).. We can't just automatically assign it to bias and therefor brand it "unprofessional" without having a little more proof than just the comparison of a couple of announcements over the course of a couple of years.

Stef

Here's what you originally said.

Speaking as a professional performer, if someone who doesn't do what I do and really doesn't have much background in what I do other than to watch or listen to me doing it once or twice a year comes out and says to me, "the way you are doing that is very unprofessional," that's insulting. The thought that goes through my mind as a professional in my field is.. "you don't know what the #### you're talking about." Naturally, I don't SAY that to you, I smile and thank you for your comments.. but it IS insulting.

Are YOU a professional announcer? You chose to use the Olympics as an example.. but I would go even further and say what Brandt does is closer to sports announcing -- and are you going to tell me that "the voice of the Cubs" showing emotion when announcing an exciting play or a big hit (whether it's the Cubs or the opposing team) is unprofessional? Really?? Because, again, I'd say you are wrong.

In sports, the announcer is not just there to report the news.. the announcer is there to call the action.. give the play by play.. and if the play by play is exciting, that's going to REFLECT in his voice.

Same goes for drum corps. If the announcer there is just going to report everthing completely inflectionless, I'm going to stop listening to him pretty quick and the show sponsors will have wasted their money on him..

In this activity, Brandt is "the voice" for us.. how many of us in the past ten years or so have shouted along with him, "PRIIIIZE PATROOOOLLL!"? He's one of us.. and the fact that he loves and interacts with this activity is WHY he needs to be emotionally connected to us through the inflection in his voice.

It all boils down to we don't know why he inflects on way or another in any given year or for any given corps.. for all we know he's had a raging case of the squirts all day and inflecting causes leakage. (sorry for the graphic imagery.. I'm trying to make a point many of us can relate to).. We can't just automatically assign it to bias and therefor brand it "unprofessional" without having a little more proof than just the comparison of a couple of announcements over the course of a couple of years.

Stef

Im not assigning anything to a bias against other corps, in fact, all I am talking about is his tone, not what he is saying with that tone.

Baseball has no more than 2 teams. There is a HOMEFIELD announcer who obviously is supposed to support and cheer for the HOME team, with the HOME CROWD of the two teams.. But who is the home team at Finals? There are so many corps from all over the place.

Using the Cubs didn't help, either. :P ^0^

Go Sox!