Which was more controversial?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. You decide

• 1993 Star
    • 2005 Cadets

Does anybody remember Academie Musicale. In 1990 and years after. They (AM) did it first. They placed the responsibility of visual interpretation on the horns and drums. Very few things in Drum Corps are new.

Oh, To answer the question. Star 93

The real question should be: Cadets 82/83 or Star 93

Edited by Sexyguardcap

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with SexyGuard. Star was definitely not the first corps to use body movement through the entire corps. And I think if the question is simply which show was most innovative and epoch-shaping, then I would say that neither Star '93 nor Cadets '05 truly changed the activity (although the jury for '05 is obviously still out). I guess the point really is that very little (if anything) in this activity can't be traced back to some source. The activity evolves, and because of that, nothing is really revolutionary.

If the question is which show annoyed more people, i'd call it a tie. I was shocked by the volume of negative responses to both shows.

I really didn't think Cadets '05 was all that controversial. You may have thought it was, but really all it was was a show that just didn't make much sense.

Star '93 however was something completely different. It was unlike anything else that really no one had any idea of what to make of it. I watched it last night on Google video and even 13 years later I'm still like, "What the f*** is this?"

Still like it.

Really appreciate what they were trying to do.

Has really changed the way marching bands do things.

But, it was unlike anything else EVER. There are lots of Cadets '05 out there.

Of course there had been body movement by horn players and drummers in drum corps before Star 93. But I think Star 93 was the first time that anyone had done it AS MUCH, or AS WELL as they did. It was really hard to ignore what they did, there seemed to be a huge emphasis on the movement. After seeing them for the first time in July of 1993, I walked away remembering the weird body stuff they did, and that huge hornline park and blow ripping my face off.

The question is not who was more innovative or revolutionary, the question as it is presented to us is which corps caused more controversy.

I'd have to say Cadets 2005, only because we have more ways to voice our opinions now than we did in 93, and more and more people have found their way to DCP so that they can share their voice, whether it's good or bad. Star's show caused a quiet stir...you watched and either loved it or hated it, just like the Cadets 05 show...but you didn't have the ever popular DCP to jump on and broadcast your opinions for everyone to see, causing argument, conflict, and online war.

If the question is which show annoyed more people, i'd call it a tie. I was shocked by the volume of negative responses to both shows.

Tony gets it. The issue is less what transpired on the field than what was communicated in the stands and beyond. It's too early to judge the lasting impact of last year's shows, but I'd venture a guess that the legacy of Cadets '05 and Star '93 will have more to do with what was said about either than what either attempted or accomplished.

HH

Of course there had been body movement by horn players and drummers in drum corps before Star 93. But I think Star 93 was the first time that anyone had done it AS MUCH, or AS WELL as they did. It was really hard to ignore what they did, there seemed to be a huge emphasis on the movement. After seeing them for the first time in July of 1993, I walked away remembering the weird body stuff they did, and that huge hornline park and blow ripping my face off.

Acadamie Musicale really moved through out the show. They even won their divisions championship. I wish you could have seen it.

Does anybody remember Academie Musicale. In 1990 and years after. They (AM) did it first. They placed the responsibility of visual interpretation on the horns and drums. Very few things in Drum Corps are new.

Oh, To answer the question. Star 93

The real question should be: Cadets 82/83 or Star 93

Sky Ryders did full corps body movement 85 to 87. SCV was doing it during the precussion feature in 84. The unique part of Star in 93 was how much they did it, and how it was borderline interpretive dance, as opposed to just body movement at times.

My question is this; Why is it that if a corps does something different people think it is a controversy? Kind of sad that some people will look at new ideas and think of it as controversy.