DCA Mid-America 2007

Oh and my previous post is not aimed at any of the corps themselves. I have not heard or seen anything official from them reguarding Southern or Western or even Mid-Western shows beyond announcing that they would not be attending (if that was the case).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of what has been said in these posts. The only thing I would add is that while no-one specifically blames any NE corps for not wanting to travel to shows that they perceive as inviable, there seems to be an attitude amongst a lot of the people related to said corps that these shows aren't worth going to simply because they aren't in the NE.

(I know...run on sentence)

We all know that our shows are new and our parts of the country are relatively new to Drum Corps. At least have the decency to say "We aren't sure we can do it this year but maybe someday." instead of "Why should we spend money to go to a show we care nothing about and that nobody will go to."

Believe me we would rather perform closer to home because of money but the shows aren't here....yet. So in the mean time you won't hear us b####### (too much) about having to travel to shows. After all it's the competition that drives us all...isn't it?!

w/Stp:

The shows are not here yet because we have not developed them yet.

Ive said this before but used other words.

What we are going to have to do is build a better playground.No one is going to want to travel to our shows unless we can offer them something they don't already have.What tham means is we need to be able to book a larger percentage of the top 10 corps.That will either take money to bring them here or some local corps with some really strong top 10 finishes producing these show..

Give us a few more solid expansion corps and some solid top ten finishes then we will control the voting.Then we can dictate the direction of the future.

Until that happenes,,these post might as well have been typed on torlet paper because they don't mean crap

to a large segment of the people reading them.

What we are going to have to do is build a better playground.No one is going to want to travel to our shows unless we can offer them something they don't already have.What tham means is we need to be able to book a larger percentage of the top 10 corps.That will either take money to bring them here or some local corps with some really strong top 10 finishes producing these show..

Give us a few more solid expansion corps and some solid top ten finishes then we will control the voting.Then we can dictate the direction of the future.

Until that happenes,,these post might as well have been typed on torlet paper because they don't mean crap

to a large segment of the people reading them.

Exactly, so go get your horn out in the backyard and practice marching and playing so we can be one of those corps you just mentioned...

:rock:

Exactly, so go get your horn out in the backyard and practice marching and playing so we can be one of those corps you just mentioned...

:rock:

You will be glad to know I have been practicing 2 hours a day everyday for the past month.Ive got a large chunk of the music memorized and the rest of it,,I just need some help getting it under my fingers.

IF I had some drill charts I would be at the high school learning my spots.

:P

:rock::huh::blink:

:mmm:

:rock::huh::blink:

:mmm:

:lolhit:

No one asked me, but here's my opinion:

I don't care if NE corps go anywhere, it should be 100% completely up to them.

Midwest/South/West/Etc. Should strive to put on the best shows they can, and put it out there at DCA meetings and such, and if a corps from outside the area wants to come, then we should do our best to make it the best experience for them.

a DCA show doesn't need any specific corps to be successful. If the non-NE corps would work to improve their own region and its corps, we can be just as successful or more. Most of us are in a position to expose people to an activity (all-age) they have never seen before. Maybe they've never heard of a DCA corps, don't know who won, etc. Then they are coming just to be entertained.

With more non-NE corps making it to Finals status, the NE shows can't have as many finalist corps in their shows. Renegades and MBI shouldn't have to be at a show in Maine for it to be successful, so why should having Hawthorne or Reading in a show in Utah be required for it to be successful?

So advertise the show, but let corps do what they afford to do and what their members want (some corps want to travel, some don't), but let's not require corps do beyond what they can afford

(now I am not mentioning anything about Championships, that is a totally different and complex issue to me)

This has come up several times, in a couple different threads.

But in all seriousness, if there were to be a large Mid-America show in Louisville, KY in August 2007 :rock: , who would be interested?

Oh yeah, that's what this thread was supposed to be about. :huh: Geesh! I should have remembered that rule of thumb: No thread can stay on topic for more than one page.

I'm sure lots of folks (from all parts of the country) would be "interested" in this show and MCL would probably be there. Good luck building the Knights Matt. We'll see you in a couple weeks.

No one asked me, but here's my opinion:

I don't care if NE corps go anywhere, it should be 100% completely up to them.

Midwest/South/West/Etc. Should strive to put on the best shows they can, and put it out there at DCA meetings and such, and if a corps from outside the area wants to come, then we should do our best to make it the best experience for them.

a DCA show doesn't need any specific corps to be successful. If the non-NE corps would work to improve their own region and its corps, we can be just as successful or more. Most of us are in a position to expose people to an activity (all-age) they have never seen before. Maybe they've never heard of a DCA corps, don't know who won, etc. Then they are coming just to be entertained.

With more non-NE corps making it to Finals status, the NE shows can't have as many finalist corps in their shows. Renegades and MBI shouldn't have to be at a show in Maine for it to be successful, so why should having Hawthorne or Reading in a show in Utah be required for it to be successful?

So advertise the show, but let corps do what they afford to do and what their members want (some corps want to travel, some don't), but let's not require corps do beyond what they can afford

(now I am not mentioning anything about Championships, that is a totally different and complex issue to me)

I agree completely Chris. This is what should happen. I don't think anyone want a requirement that corps from the NE travel or that they need to be there in order for these shows to succeed. It's more about the attitude that a large percentage (not all) of their members have toward outside (Southern, in particular) corps. As if they feel that only the NE should be allowed to have Drum Corps due to the fact that most of them are there already. This is a WORLDWIDE activity and ALL corps in ALL parts should be welcomed as they only serve to grow the activity and bring in MORE FANS.

I happen to be a fan of many NE corps and I know that MCL hopes to someday be worthy of joining their ranks in Finals.

I agree, but we the non-NE need to let it go as well.

We all need to start working together and not put so much pressure on each other

Everyone has to step up their game, the NE corps to not lose their competitive stature to a non-NE corps, the non-NE struggling to bring corps to communities that rarely (if ever) have had them, etc.

The days of having to go to a NE show (for a non-NE corps) are quickly going away, though some (and non-NE are part of the problem) are trying their best to hold onto them.

The way to truly make sure that DCA continues to grow? Make sure your corps is doing all that it can to grow and survive (whether it makes you super competitive right out of the gate or not), bring as much exposure to DCA in your local community as you can (free public performances, media, hosting a show, relationships to schools and community performing groups), and at least once a year, do one thing that is going to make your region or DCA stronger, even if it comes at a sacrafice to your corps (doing a show for free, travelling out of state). That is something EVERY corps needs to do, and many do, and some do not