Histoic misspellings of drum corps

The standing joke In SoCal Dream for the last few years has been "Where are we from THIS week??"

I don't think we've been announced from the same city twice in a row.

DM mispronounciations??

Jr corps: BD...Gary Zinter -- we heard "Pinter" a couple of times....the most common was one "Zipper"

Sr corps: Dream...me -- thye name never really got mangled (because I'd told both Ryan Turner and Fran Haring how to pronounce it), but at our 2nd show in 03, the guy at the Riverside show stalled... "Drum major, Sam......" I was about to turn around and yell "SIGNORELLI!" when he got it out.

Also Dream...Marlon Hopper, 04 at Sac. "Drum Major, MARION Hopper...." We were lauhging right there on the field! Of course, he got caled Marion all the way home!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CorpsVets is ONE word. Not Corps Vets.

Well....we have been called Gulf Coast Sound Drum and Bugle Coprs.....but I think that was more of a language barrier thing on the pins we had made. Apparently the kind folks who turn those things out in the sweat shops overseas weren't familiar with the correct spelling of Corps.

And we were called Gulf Coat Sound....but that was on a tshirt and it was only the spelling of our website not our actual name.

I jokingly refer to us as Golf Course Sound but thats only because I never have time to play anymore thanks to drum corps. B)

The Muchachas from Manchester, New Hampshire.

We're really the Muchachos. And no, we're not all boys. We were really early in history though.

2004, the Kingston DCA show.

The announcer mangled every one of the Caballeros' drum majors' names. Steve Sapienza's name came out as something like Steve SaPeenza, and so on.

Messing up a name here or there is one thing...stuff happens. Whiffing on all of 'em......yikes.

Fran

"Histoic misspellings"

Does this count? :P

Sorry!!! Couldn't resist!!!

2004, the Kingston DCA show.

The announcer mangled every one of the Caballeros' drum majors' names. Steve Sapienza's name came out as something like Steve SaPeenza, and so on.

Messing up a name here or there is one thing...stuff happens. Whiffing on all of 'em......yikes.

Fran

Or the Rochester Last year where the announcer Butchered EVERYTHING!!!!!

Also I have enjoyed being called the Ka-blare-os

And as of only 4 years ago, we were called a "drum and choir corps" by a members parents that made a sign for us.
Been there, done that. Well it was a "Echoing Drum & Bugle Choir" (for Echoes DC). In Expressions, it was the director's name that was always mangeled. Thibideaux is pronounced (all short i) Ti - bi - dough. The only place they got it right was somewhere in Canada, but then the Cajuns come from displaced Acadians. The one that hung arround a couple weeks was Tie-by-do-ex.
Buswashers

the Budwiesers

hysterical.gifGot a clean bus, have you?

Announcers calling out Hawthorne always gave me a thrill. Some of my favorites...

Ka-Blair-ohs

Cable-airos

Cobble-yairos

Cab-bull-yairos

Cab-bull-ee-airos

CAV-aleros

Also, for those that remember the Emmaus Sentinels...

Ay-moss Sentimentals

Ay-moss Seminoles

Ay-moss Seminetals

I remember at any given time with Sky, we were from an overwhelming number of towns in at least 3 different states. Chieftains were the same way sometimes...

Dear drumcorps

I decieded to start this tread to see if it happens to anyone else. The Govenaires has been having their named spelled incorrectly for over 50 years (name changed in the 60's), usually with 2 r's (we only use 1). It happened again just yesterday on the front page of DCP, and as usual I chuckled and sent off a correction, but then I started thinking, I bet utter coprs must have the same problems. So here is your chance, I'll start first.

Govenaires is spelled

1)Governaires

2)Grovernaires

3)Governairese

Where are you from St.Peter?

1)St.Paul

2)St.Petersburg

3)St.Peters

4)Mankato

And as of only 4 years ago, we were called a "drum and choir corps" by a members parents that made a sign for us.

John Mayer

Well, you guys have the hardest name to spell in all of drum corps since Les Chantelieanes (sp.?)