Looking for info from an old thread

well the goods news is the DCA graph is going up

Yes, you are right. And so is the DCI graph. I just wish the Kingsmen would have done more research in the over 100 competitive drum corps in this country before creating their erronious graph.

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a comment onj the graph...

The graph doesn't show only those corps at champs....the first year alone shows 442, for example...less than a tenth of that went to DCI champs.

I'd love to see a graph of the total number of competitive marching units nationwide, including MB...it would paint a very different picture.

Bingo! Except leave the "marching bands" out. :P

No seriously, leave then out - not to slide them but just to show just how much the number of drum corps alone is on the rise these days.

This whole thing really bothers me because it is just one more thing for a kid in the DCI activity to read and think "Wow, are these guys right? Is our activity not as good anymore?"

These poor kids who have to read this crap.

Edited by torn8o

Yes, you are right. And so is the DCI graph. I just wish the Kingsmen would have done more research in the over 100 competitive drum corps in this country before creating their erronious graph.

I don't think, though I could be wrong, that this graph is a creation of the Kingsmen.

Don't forget, it does stop at 2003, numbers-wise.

I don't think, though I could be wrong, that this graph is a creation of the Kingsmen.

Don't forget, it does stop at 2003, numbers-wise.

Good point. I was wondering about that myself.

Boy Mike. You and I are extremes, aren't we? :) Either we are in 100% disagreement or 100% agreement. There is no in between with us, is there? :)

Edited by torn8o

I still find it funny that people still believe the activity isn't dying. Just because we were on ESPN or that the shows are better and the corps are bigger.

When theres less of something means it's dying. And DCI membership or participation isn't the end all of Drum Corps. Just because 76 corps came to DCI on X years and doesn't mean there were only 76 corps nationwide. A drum corps is a drum corps.

Ben Franklin had a why of making a decsion. He wrote up the pros and cons and wieghed them. I'm sure if you lined up The signs that corps are dying versus sings that things are growing (not getting better but growing, theres a difference) I'm sure as George Mason will LSU that dying will come out ahead by far.

WRONG!!!! See my last post! As well as this one. There are MORE corps now! They just are not all at championships! This is a GOOD thing!

My gosh, California has over 14 competitive drum corps now ! DON'T BE FOOLED JUST BECAUSE DCI AND DCA ONLY LIST THE CHAMPIONSHIP ATTENDERS FOLKS!!!! THERE ARE MORE CORPS IN THIS COUNTRY THAN YOU THINK!!!!

There was a post on here several months ago from a guy in Florida, I believe, who teaches a fully-functioning drum and bugle corps at a high school (and it was a d&bc, not an all brass marching band like Ohio State--there was video). Are they counting stuff like this? I doubt it.

Good point. I was wondering about that myself.

Boy Mike. You and I are extremes, aren't we? :) Either we are in 100% disagreement or 100% agreement. There is no in between with us, is there? :)

THAT'S for sure....when are you going to admit that I'm ALWAYS right??? :P

I still find it funny that people still believe the activity isn't dying. Just because we were on ESPN or that the shows are better and the corps are bigger.

When theres less of something means it's dying.

Except you are missing something. THERE ARE NOT "LESS" drum corps today. There are actually MORE drum corps today than there were 10 years ago. People are just too easily brainwashed by erronious graphs like the above.

And DCI membership or participation isn't the end all of Drum Corps. Just because 76 corps came to DCI on X years and doesn't mean there were only 76 corps nationwide. A drum corps is a drum corps.

This is actually the point I have been trying to make except you of course are wanting me to believe that there were just as many if not more "non-competitive drum corps" in the past than there are now. Listen, I can go back to the years I marched and count on one hand how many non-competitive drum corps there were. Nearly EVERY drum corps in existance did full tours. That's why a lot of them folded. Today, there are somwhere in the ball park of 15-16 COMPETITIVE junior drum & bugle corps just in California alone. THAT IS A RECORD NUMBER since the 70s!!!!! And there are more outside of California that fit the same class of "local competing corps".

Stop the doomsday negative madness!

Edited by torn8o

There was a post on here several months ago from a guy in Florida, I believe, who teaches a fully-functioning drum and bugle corps at a high school (and it was a d&bc, not an all brass marching band like Ohio State--there was video). Are they counting stuff like this? I doubt it.

Nope, probably not. Because it doesn't fit their doomsday agenda.

Edited by torn8o

Except you are missing something. THERE ARE NOT "LESS" drum corps today. There are actually MORE drum corps today than there were 10 years ago. People are just too easily brainwashed by erronious graphs like the above.

Not a bash but finally I see how far back you are going (10 years). As I saw mentioned before 10 years ago both Jr and Sr corps were going thru a very bad time. Glad things are better now but I'll wait another 10 years before I try to find a long term trend.

This is actually the point I have been trying to make except you of course are wanting me to believe that there were just as many if not more "non-competitive drum corps" in the past than there are now.

If you count Alumni type corps I can believe it. Of course the bad news is most of those corps came from competative corps that no longer exist. One night I figured out there are more Alumni corps in my home state than competative corps combined. And only one of those Alumnis still has a competative corps (Buccs).