Anyone else out there think that GE gets too much weight?

But in indoor, both WGI and state level, I have found GE design to bleed into other captions more.

Well there you are. WGI Judging is in a whole other world from DCI.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you consider that there are 6 performance judges and only 2 effect judges, your mind may unboggle. :P

It is still important to note that each effect judge has more influence over the total score (per subcaption point) than any of the performance judges. For instance, if the GE Visual judge decreases their score by two points, the total score decreases by two as well, whereas a brass performance judge decreasing their score two points only causes a one point decrease in the total score. GE is where the most power is at on the judging panel. Regardless, I think the judging system is fine where it is at. Any constructive modifications should be much more subtle than the vast redistribution of weight that many of you support (such a redistribution is extremely unlikely anyway). If you want to discuss a contemporary judging debate that, as I understand it, has been a frequent topic of discussion in director/staff/judge meetings, let's talk about removing the field brass caption and evaluating brass performance strictly from the stands. It's changes like this (or the addition of the upstairs percussion judge) that are having an immediate effect on the activity. While the point distribution discussion is interesting, I can't help but wonder where folks stand on some of the more immediate judging issues.

Edited by horn_star

Do scores really matter in the end? No.

What matters is whether or not you enjoyed a show. I used to think that scores were what it was all about, and I would get so upset that shows I didn't like were winning. But now, after about 10 years of heavy corps watching, I've come to a few conclusions:

- I don't really care who wins, I just want to be entertained. Sure I'll be momentarily irked if my favorite show doesn't win, but it won't make me hate the winner.

- We all like a different flavor of ice cream/pizza topping/soda pop. Sure we all may like to see our favorite corps do well, but don't we really want to see every corps do well?

- Corps should have two goals: play an entertaining show and have fun doing it. I look to 2004 as my poster year for enjoyable drum corps. Every show in the top 12 made me want to continue to be a drum corps fanatic. What, you thought 2004 was a down year? Fine by me.

- You can never really hate a corps, and you can never love a corps so much that you don't care what they produce. I'll be honest, as a NoCal resident I want to see BD, SCV, Mandarins and all other CA corps place as high as possible. But, last year I could not stand BD's show and would not have been upset if they hadn't made finals. I don't particularly care for most of the Cavies shows from the past decade, but I love 007 and can certaintly appreciate their unmatchable drill writing and marching skills.

My point? I guess it's just that no matter where our favorite corps/show places, in the end we should just love drum corps because we love drum corps and cheer them to our hearts content.

Edited by Guizeppe

I don't mind it.

Maybe it might be fare if every corps gets 1 automatic point, then GE, Music, and Visuals would all be worth 33 points.

I think its fine the way it is. If something is not performed well then how would they get the effect. Yes some part of it the kids have no control over but thats why you have to write better shows.

Isn't GE a combo of visual and music? I could be wrong, it's pretty late..

well....when i hear a GE music tape, i always hear how the visual helps sell the music...but i rarely hear on a GE visual tape how the music helps the visual as far as impacto points etc.

that GE is not averaged but performance is is a scary trend. GE does seem to be more talking about the what than the how

Isn't GE a combo of visual and music? I could be wrong, it's pretty late..

well....when i hear a GE music tape, i always hear how the visual helps sell the music...but i rarely hear on a GE visual tape how the music helps the visual as far as impacto points etc.

that GE is not averaged but performance is is a scary trend. GE does seem to be more talking about the what than the how

Hmm...I will admit that I do not know a thing about DCI critique, so this may not be at all pertinent. But in indoor, both WGI and state level, I have found GE design to bleed into other captions more. Nearly every GE judge has talked exclusivly about design and left performance virtually off the sheet. And even quite a few performace judges tend to let most of their tapes turn into "what they would have written instead". But I suppose that is a topic for a differnt forum.

design has bled over into the performance captions, and in some circuits, the what gets more points than the how