Anyone else out there think that GE gets too much weight?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disagree. If there's going to be any reduction, there should be NO MORE than down from 60 to 50 percent.

GE incorporates both design AND performance- in repertoire and in "excellence" (achievement/performance, etc). Judges are told not to put the repertoire scores much higher than the "excellence" scores- as such, a good product will only get you so far.

The way it is now, a good product must be combined with an excellent performance to win. Every corps has some mixture of both, and the group that consistently out-performs other corps with a show that has been designed better than other corps will win . . .

Case in point: Cadets 2005. Cavaliers 2002. Cadets and Cavaliers 2000.

Effect is weighted the way it is because a poorly designed show where the performers perform wonderfully . . . isn't worth that much.

You can only do so much with a bad show. (need a good show)

You can only do so much with a good show. (need good performers)

It's easy to criticize the system we have now, but I think it's quite clear that the system is about as balanced as it can be expected to be- it leaves room for precise placements AND human error, but I think more often than not, the corps that deserves to win wins, and so on.

I don't think you know what you're asking for . . . I can only see a decrease in effect (especially to some of the more ridiculous suggestions, like 20%) can only lead to a decrease in the quality of shows.

And why would anyone want to watch a bad show performed well?

Not trying to attack ya here but......

Maybe there are a lot of folks like me who feel that if the GE % toward the total score is reduced the shows with actually get BETTER and MORE entertaining. There is waaayy to much "Designing just for the sheets" going on. The most credit (By far) should be given to performance......the members should be the focus.....not the designers. Sometimes I get sick listening to the extra audio tracks on the DVD's of the GE judges slobbering all over about the design. Sure there are a few comments here and there about the members performance quality....but not as much as the DESIGN piece........

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte

That makes sense. Spend less time trying to impress the judges and write more of what they used to play. More of what all the fans like.

That makes sense. Spend less time trying to impress the judges and write more of what they used to play. More of what all the fans like.

No, spend just as much time impressing the judges, but focus the judges more towards how well the corps performs that night and less towards what the designers have written all year.

Mind you, I'm not saying show design shouldn't be taken into consideration, just that it should be less of a factor in competition than it is now.

weird, the green team always seemed like more of a bottom to me...

What does this mean?

Not trying to attack ya here but......

Maybe there are a lot of folks like me who feel that if the GE % toward the total score is reduced the shows with actually get BETTER and MORE entertaining. There is waaayy to much "Designing just for the sheets" going on. The most credit (By far) should be given to performance......the members should be the focus.....not the designers. Sometimes I get sick listening to the extra audio tracks on the DVD's of the GE judges slobbering all over about the design. Sure there are a few comments here and there about the members performance quality....but not as much as the DESIGN piece........

Triple Forte

You're not attacking me, you're disagreeing with me. Which is fine.

Agree to disagree . . . I pretty much like things the way they are. :)

weird, the green team always seemed like more of a bottom to me...

Pot, kettle...black?

What does this mean?

It's a gay reference.

Edited by Jayzer