Soprano Bugle/ Trumpet

Eaglesong

Hi, Everybody. I don't know how many of you know of me yet,; I joined a couple weeks ago and mostly post on the DCA Forums. I am new to the trumpet and the world of Drum and Bugle Corps. I hope to join Carolina Gold in 2007.

Got a question. I've heard a couple terms: soprano and soprano bugle. Are they other names for the trumpet?

Thanks,

Well sapranos are trumpets pitched in G. So thats why they are called bugles. But not that DCI uses Bd they are trumpets but they are the saprano voice of the brass choir so they are stilled called sapranos. Or people call them sapranos because they said it for so long before DCI changed the rule.

Well sapranos are trumpets pitched in G. So thats why they are called bugles. But not that DCI uses Bd they are trumpets but they are the saprano voice of the brass choir so they are stilled called sapranos. Or people call them sapranos because they said it for so long before DCI changed the rule.

sopranos dude, no A at the beginning

Elizabeth,

Great to see you still out here on DCP as such a willing student. Others have answered your basic questions superbly.

Seeing your "Gold...trumpet...'07" signature, I was a bit lost. After searching the "Who's on G" thread, I see a recent John Adcock, Gold brass guru, post which confirms Gold is still on G bugles, with no mention of changing. Stay tuned to Gold and all corps for updates. Let's hope Gold remains G. Don't jump into these corps politics...yet! Just play!

Your interest: You are in Raleigh learning on a Bb trumpet, which is fine. When you attend Gold camps, it might help Before! if you can get any experience with a G soprano ("sop") bugle, whether it's 3- or 2-valve G bugle. Fingerings for a 2-v will be the same, minus, of course, you can't properly do most notes which use a 3rd valve (alternate fingerings much later); e.g., low D just below the treble clef staff, 1 and 3; E-flat (Eb), just above the low D, or A-flat (Ab), 2-3.

Why do I bother to mention an older 2-valve G sop bugle? It's a way to save $$ for now, but a 3-v sop would be preferable. If you can't get in any practice on a G horn, don't ever let that stop you from going to Gold. The sooner the better. I don't know their staff, but sure like the Gold precision.

To simplify your original question: G is soprano bugle -- Bb, C, etc., are trumpet; just as we are drum corps, others are band -- No slams at anyone, merely semantics. Other marching voices (instruments) are sometimes in F, and called...bugles.

It's educational to play instruments in various keys, but try to practice in G at times solo or in small ensembles to adjust your ear and chops (embouchure) to the nuances of a G sop before your heart races from the thrill of playing with the large Gold horn arc on a regular basis. Best of luck! Keep at it. You are worthy!

Edited by CozyChopsCom

Hi, Everybody. I don't know how many of you know of me yet,; I joined a couple weeks ago and mostly post on the DCA Forums. I am new to the trumpet and the world of Drum and Bugle Corps. I hope to join Carolina Gold in 2007.

Got a question. I've heard a couple terms: soprano and soprano bugle. Are they other names for the trumpet?

Thanks,

Don't ever call a soprano a trumpet and don't ever call a trumpet a soprano.

I know some hard corps guys that will take that to heart if you do. :)

BTW,,If you want to get a feeling for what the pitches will sound like on a g soprano,,take your b flat trumpet and hold down the 3rd valve.It will be close to the sound a g soprano makes.

If you try to march a b flat trumpet with the 3rd valve down i a soprano line,,it will be Very much out of tune,,it wil jsut give you some sort of Idea what you are going to be playing.