Spooky Effects

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, definately BD '95...still one of my favorite shows...especially those tenors....OH MY GOD!!!!! But the sounds in the beginning...groaning...scraping sounds...just eery. I believe the sound of the groaning of the hull of the "ship" in the '97 Scouts show was achieved by pulling a rope through a drum head...although I can't be certain about that. I know they got the wind/sea spray sound with a round wooden..."spool"?...for lack of a better term, that was mounted on a stand with a crank handle on one end. Around the spool was a piece of tarp or heavy cloth with both ends attached to the base of the stand. As you cranked the handle, the spool would spin and the friction between the spool and the tarp would create the sound...

Backfield upper brass cluster chords in Cavaliers '92 during Peterloo Overture. They used a similar effect during the '05 show, near the end of the Chicago Fire movement.

Outside of drum corps, David Lang's Are You Experienced? for electric tuba and wind ensemble. Tuba + amp + reverb + feedback = crazy stuff...

When Madison did their "Pirates" show, I believe they simulated the sounds of creaking masts, by putting the 'edge' of one cymbal into the 'cup' of the other, and 'grinding' the two together. B)

The marching machine (see Cadets '93) is a favorite, --

doug

I'm actually looking for one of these. Does anyone have a clue where I might find one? I've been looking into Foley style percussion and still no luck.

As for Spooky effects- BD 95 takes the cake!

...Outside of drum corps, David Lang's Are You Experienced? for electric tuba and wind ensemble. Tuba + amp + reverb + feedback = crazy stuff...

That piece would be performed more if Lang didn't require the narrator to introduce themselves as David Lang. Weird.

dont know if this has been done yet...

putting a suspended cymbal on a timpani head, and doing a cymbal roll... sounds like a ufo landing.

~>conner

dont know if this has been done yet...

putting a suspended cymbal on a timpani head, and doing a cymbal roll... sounds like a ufo landing.

~>conner

Been done....sometime in the mid-80s....darned if I can remember who, tho....I know it's on the vids of finals somewhere...the cybmal was upside down, resting on the dome.

Now that I think about it, I want to say it was Garfield