Parade Tunes

I've played Patriotic Stuff, special stuff for specific holidays (ie - Irish music on St. Patty's Day) and that's about the extent of it. I know some corps play pop / rock type stuff (Renegades doing Lucretia McEvil) and that's pretty cool. So my question is this...

What kinds of stuff do you guys play in parades. Anything fun and/or hip? I'm trying to get some ideas because I'd ultimately like to put together a little book of parade tunes. Short, sweet arrangements that are fun to play and sound good even with a small turnout (most corps know how parade season can be.) They've got to be crowd appealing too. Feel free to suggest something. Either something that is proven successful OR even something you'd like to see.

Go for it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester Muchachos (Manchester, NH) are playing (or soon to be playing) the following.

The Lonely Bull - This is the corps signature piece and older folks recognize the Herb Alpert Tune.

La Copa De La Vida - We have a longer version we play in concerts with solos. The crowd recognizes the tune and seems to like it.

Brazil - Nice tune, got a good beat.

Amparito Roca - A not well known Spanish March that the crowd seems to get into.

Liberty Bell March - This is being worked right now so we'll have to wait and see.

Last year we also played a short version of Grand Ole Flag that seemed to work well too.

In general for parades marches or something folks can recognize (pop music) works well. I wouldn't use all parade tunes for a concert though.

Dave

CorpsVets have typically done Boogie Down.

SoCal Dream usually does something from the curernt show program. Last year it was Esmerelda Suite (the closer)...America the Beautiful's usually there as well, since the only parade we've done is on July 4.

In 04 we had an additioal tune...if you can call it that. Instead of a street beat, the battery played their book from "Jupiter"....it sounded enough like a cadence to the crowd....but it was like marching in a 2 hour sectional!

I actually thought that was a fairly brilliant idea...they got a LOT of runs done..and I could hear the caption head -- who was marching with the line -- instructing as we went.

LOL...Prime Time Brass does the parade a-propriate tune for the specific parade. X mas tunes for Xmas parades, Irish Tunes for St Patty's Day, Patriotic for Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Also some Ozzy Osbourne, BeeGees, Mambo Kings etc....ansd then we stop and let it wail with some of the show tunes.

Pretty fun parades with this group.

DA

LOL...Prime Time Brass does the parade a-propriate tune for the specific parade. X mas tunes for Xmas parades, Irish Tunes for St Patty's Day, Patriotic for Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Also some Ozzy Osbourne, BeeGees, Mambo Kings etc....ansd then we stop and let it wail with some of the show tunes.

Pretty fun parades with this group.

DA

What, No Santana? :tic:

New this year for Hanover Lancers is "Moorside March" which also fit in our St Patrick Day parades. More lively than "Danny Boy".

The standards are "Battle Hymn", played a lot for Memorial Day and 4th of July, "Crown Imperial" plus our corps theme song of "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Also Man of La Mancha/Impossible Dream when the parades aren't too long. (MoLM is a chops buster.)

We also have other tunes for stand stills

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Parades?

What are those. :laugh:

Lonely Bull, Another Opening, Grand Ole Flag, Blame it on Donny...uh, Rio, Yankee Doodle, Stars 'n Stripes, Scotland the Brave, Syne....

In Cincinnati Tradition we did Flintstones -- Easy to memorize and the kids loved it.

Parades?

What are those. :laugh:

In PA they're called "Gods gift to the corps budget"..... IOW, if you can find the right parade, you get paid well.