Contra Lines

On a side topic, that relates to contras...The BD contra, Bill, who started with the Brigs, went to BD until he aged out, and has now joined the Marine Corps. He sat in front of me, placed his mouthpiece to his lips, played a middle C, slowly pulled the mouthpiece away from his mouth.....and I could CLEARLY see his lips continue to oscillate in a perfect figure-8, until he re-applied the mouthpiece to his lips... for a perfect middle C. b**bs Hey, I was impressed!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to the push following the softer middle section of Russian Christmas Music in 87 SCV. Still my favorite contra sound on any DCI recording. I don't know if that qualifies them as "best", but I sure love it!

Any of those 90-93 Star lines might qualify for me, as well as 81-84 Regiment.

Mike in OH

nothing against BDs contra lines or anything, but I've noticed they usually dont march much hard stuff.... they always seem to be separated into their own little clique that does its own thing... as compared to what other corps do with theirs.

You might want to pay a little better attention to the drill BD's contras are having to march. I marched in the '93 Star contra line, but I don't think I would have been able to hang with these guys.

As for my favs, excuse my prejudice, any of the contra lines in a Donnie Van Doren brassline (Cadets, Star...soon Crown and Blue Stars) seem to have a presence unlike any other.

Contras like tubas should be felt, not heard.

Listen to the push following the softer middle section of Russian Christmas Music in 87 SCV. Still my favorite contra sound on any DCI recording. I don't know if that qualifies them as "best", but I sure love it!

YES!!

The first thing that I thought of was the 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard Contra section. Those guys had lungs down to their knees and played some really complicated stuff very cleanly. They deserve a spot WAY up on this list for sure. :rolleyes:

in two topics now there is a love for the 87 SCV contra line

You might want to pay a little better attention to the drill BD's contras are having to march. I marched in the '93 Star contra line, but I don't think I would have been able to hang with these guys.

As for my favs, excuse my prejudice, any of the contra lines in a Donnie Van Doren brassline (Cadets, Star...soon Crown and Blue Stars) seem to have a presence unlike any other.

Contras like tubas should be felt, not heard.

Yes, I agree the only time you can really hear them is when they get edgey or raspy to project, but it gets hard to feel when some corps flip the pyramid or don't have very good balance. It makes me a sad camper :(

I completely disagree . . . if the hornline plays in true balance, then each section of the brass choir will inevitably be heard. It's easier to hear tubas when they play out of the ensemble with a nasty tone or with pitch problems, but it's easier to hear anything when that happens.

In pretty much every drum corps show I've ever seen, I can hear the tubas, just like I hear the trumpets, just like I hear the bass drums and the pit and the mellophones and the baritones.

As such, I really don't know what all this talk is about feeling tubas instead of hearing them. They project sound. Sound is heard and sometimes felt, but primarily heard.

cough*bluecoats2003*cough

ok.. i'm just kidding... but we were still "ok"... :)