Blast!

Does anyone know if Blast! will be doing another show, rumor is they are calling it quits after this tour...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a court should step in at this point and take its exclamation point away - Blast! is getting pretty old and worn out... very 90's IMO

corps is much cooler - and I really wish we'd all wake up from this nightmare and Star would suddenly be back on the field

Edited by George

Blast is not corps, it is its own entity. Idon't think that it will ever die. If it doesn't stay as Blast someone somewhere will start it back up. As far as putting it down for not being corps????? It is the best of the best of corps. Get real.

Of course it's old and worn out if you've seen it twenty times. But for the first-time viewer, it still elicits pretty strong and favorable reactions. Every year when a new crop of band kids comes through the door where I teach, a video of Blast is shown at some point, and they sit GLUED to the screen. They love it.

what about shockwave, wasn't that supposed to be the next incarnation (show if you will) from Star

a court should step in at this point and take its exclamation point away - Blast! is getting pretty old and worn out... very 90's IMO

corps is much cooler - and I really wish we'd all wake up from this nightmare and Star would suddenly be back on the field

I agree. Blast seems pretty 'blah' now. Even Stomp! changes up it's show to keep things fresh and interesting.

That being said, there are good things in the show for newbies, and it wouldn't continue to tour if it wasn't financially successful. I'd love for Star to come out with something on the level of Blast, but different. I never saw their other thing (the thing with the sax player in the add), but it apparently wasn't as well received as Blast.

The thing for me, is if I want to hear Malaguena, or Pines of Rome, or something else I'd rather dig out a DCI video and see it done in that style (or pull out the original recordings). Most of Blast just seems like a retread of drum and bugle corps, albeit at a high level. I think it's great that guys like Jeff Queen and the rest of the cast found a way to make good money doing the drum corps type thing, and I like that Cook and his team was able to bring drum corps to the mainstream in ways DCI never could. But for me personally it just doesn't do anything for me, and I would love for the Blast creative team to go back and design something new.

--

doug

I I never saw their other thing (the thing with the sax player in the add), but it apparently wasn't as well received as Blast.

SHHH!!! Don't tell Hoppy! :worthy: