I think that a drum corps should play a 311 show.

I actually despise 311 . . . but since I'd probably cringe if Led Zeppelin or Radiohead's music was ever turned into a drum corps show because someone would screw it up (or is there any real way to do that right?), it might as well be 311 so they can screw up a band I don't care for. :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never met a DCI drummer who didn't like 311 AND Incubus....

hi, my name is james.

people call me trey.

my opinions of this matter can be expressed with this mathematical equation:

rock and roll + dci = stupid shows.

unless you did something WAY cool like some progressive swedish death metal. man, that would be sweet. opeth on the field. mmm mmm good. or some power metal, since it's pretty much classical music turned up to 11, like some blind guardian.

Dunno who 311 is, but sounds fun. One of the brass instuctors at Pio joked about doing a Flogging Molly show, that might actually work though. That would be interesting.

I actually despise 311 . . . but since I'd probably cringe if Led Zeppelin or Radiohead's music was ever turned into a drum corps show because someone would screw it up (or is there any real way to do that right?), it might as well be 311 so they can screw up a band I don't care for. :P

Seriously, get ahold of pianist Christopher O'Reilly's two CDs of Radiohead arrangements. I just saw him live two weeks ago do a half hour Radiohead recital at the BOA Concert Band Festival and Orchestra America event. Amazing stuff...and although they wouldn't translate to the field, they might provide a glimpse of what could be done.

PioSop06 ... your avatar is an ironic likeness of what is going on right now in the "Conn-Selmer..." thread. Amazing coincidence.

OK...well let's expand this converstaion a bit to make mention of who has actually attempted certain genre music when it might

not have been accepted or thought of as "corps-able" ... (made that word up...)

I'll start (because I have to go back to my old f@rt days to find an example...)

1.) Madison playing Bohemian Rhapsody...and pulled off very well I might add. (no bias here I'm sure...)

2.) Geneseo Knights playing "Knights in White Satin" by Moody Blues. (Hmmm...still not at all like Incubus...)

3.) Ummmmmm..... the bands in the movie "Drumline" playing full on hip-hop stuff with guest appearances by the artists!!

:rock:

Ok... I'm going back to work now.

hi, my name is james.

people call me trey.

my opinions of this matter can be expressed with this mathematical equation:

rock and roll + dci = stupid shows.

unless you did something WAY cool like some progressive swedish death metal. man, that would be sweet. opeth on the field. mmm mmm good. or some power metal, since it's pretty much classical music turned up to 11, like some blind guardian.

311 is significantly more musically advanced than Flogging Molly.

Christopher O' Riley is amazing. He played on campus here a month or two ago; I love his version of Paranoid Android (Radiohead). I didn't both making this thread about Radiohead because I'm already confident that a show of their music would work tremendously well.

Fever played a song by Tool recently, and Glassmen did the same Moody Blues piece as well.

BD's Tommy show had very prominent rock influences. To do a show like 311, I think it'd be best to include many different songs; possibly making each chart in the show comine two pieces each. With the right arranging, I don't think it'd be too difficult to make accessible and highly likable for audiences. Crown '01 had a techno piece, and it sounded natural within the show. If a corps like BD or Crossmen really tried their best to sell it, I'm confident that it would work.

Just listening to "I'll Be Here Awhile" and "Large In The Margin" a few minutes ago from class, I'm sure there's some arranger somewhere in the world that could have lots of fun with this music. There's so much variety within their music, the show WOULDN'T feel as if it's forced into one genre (one of the same reasons why BD '90 was so effective), and it'd certainly be something original within drum corps. No vocals needed. Sweet timbale fills (ala Cavies '04), and an extended battery feature written to imitate the style of a rock drumming solo (if you've heard Chad Sexton solo, it's probably as rudimentary as you're going to hear in all of rock music....his drum corps influence is EXTREMELY prominent) as far as the mixing of the drumline's instrumentation.

A video that gives an idea of what his style is like as far as solos go. The rest of the band seems to be on drums/cymbals in the front of the stage (hadn't ever seen them do anything like that before). You can most definitely hear parts of the solo that would fit within a drum corps show; having an extended feature with good portrayal of style could be great G.E. points, too. :)