I think that a drum corps should play a 311 show.

Could try replacing the pit entirely with steel drums.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Words:

Dream Theater!

2004 Teal Sound

From the program description I wrote for the corps that year:

Teal Sound was founded in 1998, and achieved finalist status at the 2001 Drum Corps International Division III World Championship.

The corps’ 2004 program is Delusions: The Music of Dream Theater. The show revels in the fact that Long Island’s Dream Theater quintet is relished for its epic songs and dazzling virtuosity, showing off a complex, progressive art-metal style. Known for its thrashing and theatricality, the band has earned legions of fans worldwide.

The corps’ show fuses the diverse musical styles of the band; such as metal, jazz and classical. Hard driving rhythms, numerous time changes and finger-busting musical passages are just a few of the elements that make this show so appropriate for drum corps.

2004 Show

Show Title: Delusions: The Music of Dream Theater

Metropolis Part I: The Sleeper and the Miracle

Goodnight Kiss V

Dance of Eternity

Overture I

Rewind to 1983..

Seriously, get ahold of pianist Christopher O'Reilly's two CDs of Radiohead arrangements. I just saw him live two weeks ago do a half hour Radiohead recital at the BOA Concert Band Festival and Orchestra America event. Amazing stuff...and although they wouldn't translate to the field, they might provide a glimpse of what could be done.

Would've LOVED to have seen that. Being a big Radiohead fan, I love what he did with "Paranoid Android" and such. Great stuff.

But again, like any show concept, Radiohead on the field would only work if done right.

And Lawrence Welk is behind terrible :P . . . listen to Duke Ellington or something.

2004 Teal Sound

From the program description I wrote for the corps that year:

Teal Sound was founded in 1998, and achieved finalist status at the 2001 Drum Corps International Division III World Championship.

The corps’ 2004 program is Delusions: The Music of Dream Theater. The show revels in the fact that Long Island’s Dream Theater quintet is relished for its epic songs and dazzling virtuosity, showing off a complex, progressive art-metal style. Known for its thrashing and theatricality, the band has earned legions of fans worldwide.

The corps’ show fuses the diverse musical styles of the band; such as metal, jazz and classical. Hard driving rhythms, numerous time changes and finger-busting musical passages are just a few of the elements that make this show so appropriate for drum corps.

2004 Show

Show Title: Delusions: The Music of Dream Theater

Metropolis Part I: The Sleeper and the Miracle

Goodnight Kiss V

Dance of Eternity

Overture I

Rewind to 1983..

Right Mike, I thought they did a pretty good job with it. Dream Theater has so much music that would be perfect for drum corps. They are one of the leading Progressive Rock bands out there. Their musicality is 2nd to none. I would love to see some corps attempt their more symphonic pieces. Dream theater recently released a 24 minute epic song called Octavarium that a corps could easily use for a show.

I can only wish.

Michael,

I like the word "theatricality."

Paul,

I like your way of thinking here.

- Jared

jeez...if you guys like dream theater then check out symphony x.

they're way better. although, dream theater is definitely cool. i was almost in an indoor that tried some dt music. i quit because it sucked big ones. interpretive dream theater can definitely go WAY WRONG!!!

Two Words:

Dream Theater!

DVWBWEA970366.jpg

w/Stp:

I'm interested to hear Teal Sound's 2004 production now...or another corps with some Dream Theater in the future. Good stuff.

jeez...if you guys like dream theater then check out symphony x.

they're way better. although, dream theater is definitely cool. i was almost in an indoor that tried some dt music. i quit because it sucked big ones. interpretive dream theater can definitely go WAY WRONG!!!

Although I like Symph X, they are not even in the same league as Dream Theater.

Michael,

I like the word "theatricality."

It's a good word. Much better than "theatrics" or "theatrical."