DCI Spring Meeting

The most recent meeting was to discuss some ideas (a rather large proposal actually) that have been presented by a group of current board members. There are many issues at hand, but the main reason for doing this is to adjust the structure and governance of DCI according to the current standards associated with similar groups, organizations, and businesses. I believe that the original governance structure of DCI has been pretty much the same since the early 1970s.

There are some excellent, well thought out, ideas on the floor, and whatever does get ratified will ultimately change many aspects of the activity for the positive. Again, without dishing out information that is too specific, I will give some basic ideas that are floating around. One is that Division II and III would align and become one division, and that they would have more opportunity to be a part of shows with other corps from DI. There is the possibility of all corps (regardless of status) having the opportunity of becoming members of DCI. Their directors would then also be part of the governing body (like the current board of directors). But the current board will look something more like congress, where all corps directors have a vote, not just the top 21 corps or what have you. DCI would then install a smaller "Board of Directors" that operate much more like a typical business BoD does. This board can be made up of corps directors (who would have to be voted in), as well as other board members from any corps (who would also have to be voted in), and I believe that a few seats will be saved for businessmen from outside the activity.

There will be certain standards that corps must adhere to in order to be accepted as a DCI member corps, or to maintain that membership. This is not so much based on placement but more on the health of the corps. I am pretty sure a competition committee and a rules committee will be put together, and all proposals from such committees will ultimately have to be put to vote, which is nice because we will now be talking about a much larger body of voters (congress if you will), since any corps has the ability to be a member corps. It will not be easy, and there is much work to be done, but I really believe it will pass in September. Some of the wording is going to change over time, and issues about scheduling and shows will always be a concern for all corps. So those little details will need to be ironed out. But I like it, and I believe that most in the activity will be in favor of this proposal. It is truly one of the best things I have read and I feel it can take DCI to another level of success.

More will come out soon, but the real nitty gritty details will likely not come out until September. Until then, hey, let's enjoy the season. Cause....you know, the Bluecoats are going to tear it up this summer (like last)! You just wait! :)

Jonathan

some great possibilities in this. i look forward to seeing how it shakes out

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan,

Thanks for the information. Sounds good.

Division II/III corps get to vote - :blink:

Division II/III corps get access to more shows - :blink:

Combine division II and III into one division - :huh:

Jonathan, do you know what the rationale is behind combining II and III into a single division? There must be a reason - I'm just not seeing it yet.

Jonathan, do you know what the rationale is behind combining II and III into a single division? There must be a reason - I'm just not seeing it yet.

Ditto!!!!! Ditto!!!!! Sorta ditto. I await the rationale.

Jonathan, thanks for not only stepping off your soapbox, but also chopping it up into kindling. You have the brass cajones to mix and mingle with us riff-raff. Thanks for sharing from the inside! Class act, Jonathan!

Well, like I said, it's just an idea floating around. This does not mean that it will come true. Ultimately the directors will tweak this until it works. And a lot can change by September. I am just being very general in how I describe this. In one sense, I want all of you to be excited about this and to know that there are some great people in DCI and the corps that are working on something to help benefit the activity; and on the other hand I need to be careful because nothing has been decided on. It would not be good for the process for me to say things that ultimately don't pan out. I don't want to get myself in trouble. I strongly believe that DCI and the Board will do what is in the best interest of drum corps.

Jonathan

Fair enough, then. In the interest of encouraging the appropriate "tweaking"....

I would think that preserving both division II and III in their current form would be a better course of action than combining them into a single division. The leaders of division II/III themselves spent significant time exploring options for realigning divisions several years ago. The full board brainstormed, then committees developed the better ideas in more detail, and they were again debated in a subsequent meeting. And when all was said and done, the conclusion was that the size-delimited concept (on which division III is based) was the best idea of the lot. They did adjust the break point from 60 members to the current system, where corps of 71 to 79 members can choose either division, larger units are II and smaller units are III.

In the absence of any opposing rationale, I would suggest retaining this divisional structure that the II/III directors have established as long as both divisions have a significant number of participating units. (And frankly, the more likely way I would envision that changing would be by division II disappearing as a result of their units moving up to division I over time, should they all find it desirable to do so.)

More Div II/III involvement - good

More voice for non Top 12 corps - good

Have to agree with audiodb on seperate Div II/III classes. Seems theses two classes have different goals and ways of operation. Wonder how much input they had in the Spring meeting. Possible that all talking about Div II/III was done by Div I people?????

Edit - Forgot to say Thanks Jonathan :blink:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Count the number of III corps attending championships, Imagine how many II/IIIs won't attend CA in 07 and how many more we may lose in the next year.

Perhaps what's going on is pro-active action to protect II/III before they vanish all-together

I agree.....this move, depending on how it shakes out, will be huge for D2/3