My million dollar idea for DCI

well, JCassidy, if you want something done right... (ya gotta do it yourself...)

Your idea has now been announced... get on it. I actually own the VHS tape of the 1978 SCV tape produced by McCormicks,

with Rob Carson and Fred Sanford, et al warming up and playing like you're talking about, only just the drumline.

Point is... someone (like you) had the idea, and went with it.

True story: I remember in 1980 watching drum lines warming up and my friend saying to me: "someone should record these

guys and sell the tapes." (yes...tapes. 1980...no cd's)

Now, we have "The Lot" and "The Jonz" and so many others.

I would buy it. Especialy if it had Space Music. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Hey,

Great idea! I'd buy one!

Oh how about a CD of every corps corps song?

Have 'em arc up and play through this stuff!

b**bs

Hey,

Great idea! I'd buy one!

Oh how about a CD of every corps corps song?

Have 'em arc up and play through this stuff!

b**bs

'Cept not ever corps has a corps song. BD, for example, didn't have one that I was aware of when I marched, although certain charts were certainly identified with us (Legend, La Suerte, etc)...but there was no corps "alma mater."

'Cept not ever corps has a corps song. BD, for example, didn't have one that I was aware of when I marched, although certain charts were certainly identified with us (Legend, La Suerte, etc)...but there was no corps "alma mater."

When I was there we sang California Dreamin'.

Submitter should check out the Blue Devils' "Dynasty of Brass" DVD. It's got exactly what he's looking for along with commentary by Wayne Downey. It may seem pricey, but I believe it's worth every penny.

I've combined elements of Dynasty of Brass along with similar stuff we did when I was at BD (including some of Jack Meehan's stuff) and some old Suncoast Sound method to put together am excellent brass program for the corps and bands I teach. I've also written woodwind excercises to go along with everything for full-band situations.

The bottom line is that Dynasty of Brass is a really good start for this sort of thing. I would like to see DCI do a "lot" DVD featuring hornlines.

Heh, I don't know if it would sell beyond the enthusiasts either, those I think I would probably buy it. I have a bootlegged recording of Blue Devils' F Tuning. You can buy that warm-up on other discs, but this is a recording where they really let loose. Sweet stuff.

I love playing those Blue Devil Star Wars warmups for people who know nothing about the activity. I trap them

in a small area, and crank it. They are always wowed.

That being said...other corps have this same type of thing, but minus the exposure. The Cavies had a crazy chord-

progression warmup one season all in the minor mode with a major cadence at the end. It was chilling. I have a

recording of an easy Phantom Regiment chordal warmup. Even this simple thing sounds ultra-cool at 389565796

decibels. SCV has that nifty chord progression that morps into/out of Barber's Adagio.

The thing that tends to bother me about these recordings is the sound of the people going crazy all around the mic.

These things tend to be recorded in lots, and bystanders tend to yell, and whatnot. Sometimes, this can really be an

issue at 389565796 decibels!

This is why I'd like to see a CD of recorded progressions and warmups without the crowd noise.

*snip*

The thing that tends to bother me about these recordings is the sound of the people going crazy all around the mic.

These things tend to be recorded in lots, and bystanders tend to yell, and whatnot. Sometimes, this can really be an

issue at 389565796 decibels!

This is why I'd like to see a CD of recorded progressions and warmups without the crowd noise.

Yeah, I have a recording of a BD chord progression that sounds great. But right as it get's to the resolution, a guy who must have been standing right next to the mic shouts out YEAAAHHHH!!!!!

I didn't think it was possible, but he drowned out BD playing at a ffff level. :beer: