Star

Just did...quick question tho. How much was there member fees? I guess I don't know the difference from a corporation owning the corps than just a regular non-profit. Because Bill made it sound like the future of DCI was to have corporations own corps. What would be the impacts of a corporate owned corps vs non corporate owned?

**I am pretty sure that this wasn't in his online history book

I never actually marched Star, but went to most of the camps in 1989 until a death in the family forced me to quit. The member fees then were $250. You paid $50 less for each year you marched previously. Several friends who had marched there told me that THAT was that price the year before. To compare, the corps I did march with was $600 the next year.

Know that Bill Cook has been a great friend to DCI and drum corps in general.

Now, I wish DCI would post the Bill Cook interview that aired on the PBS telecast in 86 ( I think ). It could go in the same section that shows the people hooked up to the breathing machine. It would be an interesting resources for the younger posters.

Hope that helps!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone meant to attack anybody here. Please understand that many of the Star alumni and volunteers from the Star years are very sensitive when it comes to discussion of Star. Particularly the members from the latter years. Their pride in what they accomplished is tempered by the animosity they faced at times. Be it people singing M-O-N-E-Y, or being booed for challenging what could or should be done in a show. Then at the height of the competitive history the corps leaves the field, breaking the hearts of many involved. Over the years they have seen story after story, most of it crap and heard rumor after rumor. All of this has created a group of very proud and sometimes defensive alumni family.

But please don't think for a minute that we are not flattered and a bit stunned to still have people talking, extolling, and generally enjoying what we worked so hard on so many years ago now. It is so cool that anybody even has the interest in how the corps formed, some twenty one years later! From what I have seen 95% of all the comments made on our history nowadays are overwhelmingly positive. I guess the 'boobirds' of so long ago have flown away for good. Thankyou to all for your positive comments and I will do my best to answer any questions anybody might have. I can be reached at mchromik@staralumni.org.

Yep, I remember I got close with a bunch of Pride alumni that came to 27 (some in the mellophone line with me,) after they folded. When Memphis folded, a bunch of us went to 27 as well, and I know some of our people were from Bloomington and went on to march Star...some ended up good friends of mine from Indiana. Hey Michael, do you know Maggie (she marched baritone with us) I think she marched with you.

I think I remember a Maggie. But I believe she may have played Flugel in Pride the winter before the 85' season. It is all a bit fuzzy now, to many years and dead brain cells. As best I can recall I can remember greeting about three Pride members when we first saw 27 at DCI Southeast Durham, NC in June. The names escape me, but I remember you guys had two of our Flugels and at least one soprano (scott?) :laugh: Getting old sucks!

I came extremely close to marching 27' that year for you still had a couple holes in May. The fact that you guys were finalists the year before somewhat intimidated me. That and the fact that two of my favorite Pride staff from that year, Steve Suslik and Dave Tippett were at Star sort of swayed me there.

I would like to apologize to AzEuph and to all of you for the tirade the other day. Thank you for all of your kind comments about Star in this thread. I'm very sorry I overreacted to a very simple question.

I didn't pay the bills back then, but as far as I can remember, dues were $200 a year. We could pay $20 a camp and the balance by move in. As a 16 turning 17 year old daughter of a single Mom, if the dues were any more, I would not have been able to march. I would have missed out on 3 of the best years of my life. I am very proud to have been and still be a part of my Star Family.

I would like to apologize to AzEuph and to all of you for the tirade the other day. Thank you for all of your kind comments about Star in this thread. I'm very sorry I overreacted to a very simple question.

Classy! :)

We love ya Ma!!!! And we love Star too! PLease bring'em back Jim!!!! :)

We love ya Ma!!!! And we love Star too! PLease bring'em back Jim!!!! :)

If only ... we could "wish upon a star" ... Thanks!

Ma

If only ... we could "wish upon a star" ... Thanks!

Ma

But Marilyn my dearest friend, we do wish upon a "Star" - that is why there is such a mystery and magical feeling that occurs just on the mention of the corps. Remember last year before the Alumni Parade - the rumbling of anticipation. It will never end, nor should it.

i remember how embarassed and ticked i always became when spectators actually "booed" star. because they actually successfully made a coporate program work (the only one that really was self -sustaining) they were accussed of buying dci. what total bs. to actually boo kids that work just as hard, if not harder to bring an original and fresh idea to entertain, is total disrespect. those people should have been removed from the stadium immediately with brute force. (when Spirit of Atlanta was formed and quickly moved into the top 5, they werent booed...they were originally corporately sponsered)

I think if star had been around thru the 90's and today, this activity would have grown in different directions and not have remained so unkown and boring as it is today. It is clear if bill cook were to run dci, the organization would be much more successful than the old school, marketing goofs that run it.

I was standing with Cook and Roman Blenski, II when the question was posed in 91 that there was a tie for 5th, but the budget would not allow for 6th corps to be shown on finals night...in less than a minute, cook had written a personal cheque and negotiated to make sure all 6 corps would have their appearance. under cook's direction, he always made his bus fleet available to other corps in emergency situations. I wish more millionares were able to take their devotion of an activity and turn it into a "hobby". I think Microsoft, TimeWarner, etc could come up with some great corps or sponser existing.

Thank you Star for your short, but sweet history in DCI's hey days. You will be missed and forever remain a legend. the 93 year, enough, still holds the record of most awesome presentation ever to be put on a football field.

Edited by walder