Dayton and Indianapolis

There was decsion concerning DCI Championships being held in Indy for 10 years. The biggest complaint was that it would get boring after 10 years. Well, I just realized that WGI has been held in Dayton for over 10 years. Dayton is a smaller city and host a major event with multipul groups. I have never attended WGI or even been to Dayton while I have been to Indy and love the city.

I see many advantages of being in a city for a long time. If Dayton can do it why can't Indy or another city.

Dayton hasn't hosted WGI for 10 years straight.

And the biggest difference is:

Dayton is in Ohio

Indianapolis is in Indiana

:)

Stef

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we agreeing to 10 years in a venue that doesn't even exist yet? Seems a bit risky that the first time we will hear a note played in that stadium will be the first corps on the field in Quarterfinals.....

For the record.. nothing has been agreed to with regards to Indy, yet. At this stage, it's just an option being explored.. that's all. And I seriously doubt they would enter into any kind of a blind agreement without an out-clause based on the needs of this activity..

:) Thy sky isn't falling (yet).. though I agree, I don't think finals in one place for an extended consecutive period is a good idea (I'm gonna keep repeating myself in every thread today.. :laugh: )

...and dude.. thanks! I've never been quoted in anybody's signature before!

Stef

And the biggest difference is:

Dayton is in Ohio

Indianapolis is in Indiana

:)

I know, which makes Indianapolis even better! ^0^

Right, Stef?

Edited by Maedhros

Well, I just realized that WGI has been held in Dayton for over 10 years.

Milwaukee in 2001.

:laugh:

Uhhhh, not exactly. The big problem with DCI in one place for so long is going to be finding housing and practice fields for all the corps. Just getting enough housing each year at a different city is enough of a headache (i.e., Boston last year). With the past history of school districts getting mad about the use of their fields, or damage to their facilities, or simply changes to their administrations who don't like outsiders in their facilities, this problem is going to be magnified over a ten year period. Unless the city government in Indy is able to get some iron-clad contracts from many of the suburban school districts for the ten year period (highly unlikely), there could be corps being forced to stay further and further away every year. No matter how well the corps try to maintain these facilities, there is still general wear and tear, and local school administrators love to blame anything on these "outsiders". I know this to be fact from years of finding housing for a local DCI show. Although the Band Directors loved having the corps stay at their schools, the Athletic Directors, Principals, and District Administrators hold alot more power over these type of decisions, and they don't always appreciate the benefits their music programs get from these visits. They just look at the wear and tear to their fields, the amount of trash left in their dumpsters, the use of their water, electricity, etc., etc.

Dave,

Corps housing availability, accessibility and cost are a major consideration and have a significant budgetary impact wherever we hold the championship (in recent years). If the overall discussion would not have included a significant assurance from some of the highest levels of the Indiana and Indianapolis governments, as well as the support of influential area school district officials on this specific issue, the discussion would not have continued.

jeff

I know, which makes Indianapolis even better! ^0^

Right, Stef?

*heh heh heh*

Not by much... :diva:

:laugh: ya, Matt..

• 4 months later...

Thought I would add my two cents....

-WGI is indeed much longer than a weekend. The events run Wen-Sun.

-The UD Arena is one of the nicest arenas in college sports. Only one other facility has hosted more NCAA Division One Basketball tournament games than the UD Arena

-The sightlines at the UD Arena are perfect - the design lends itself to performances

-The Fred J Miller Company is based in Dayton, Ohio (and is a proud UD Alum - that's why the UD Marching Band gets new uniforms every other year!)

-The local schools support WGI, as many have units that compete

-The UD Arena is not the only place that WGI uses. There are so many events and competitions that almost large venue is utilized - including the Convention Center, Wright State's arena (which isnt as good as UD's), and some local high schools.

-In terms of paid attendance, WGI attracts just over 25,000 people. I think that was more than DCI had at finals.

-WGI moved their headquarters to Dayton in 2002.

I do not think that DCI should be at Dayton, but it is a PERFECT fit for WGI!

Here is an article with some more details - http://www.daytoncvb.com/newsletters/2006-q1.html#2

With all due respect, this is the same board that has brought us amped vocals, non-members running the soundboard, and the elimination of retreat.....so trusting their judgement is a little tough for me to do at this point!! ^0^

This same board of directors has overseen the growth of DCI into the stable entitity it is today.

If you don't like the rule changes, that is fair, keep in mind they BOD made the choices based on what they, as corps directors who, oversee the running of the corps, wanted to see happen. Remember, they actually PLAY this game.

KansasDC, I would imagine that being in the same city would makle it easier to secure locations then harder.

We have our Firemen Conference every year in the same city, We keep a running security on the same rooms year after year. Many other states do also with much success.

Depends on what city you're continually going to. Look at how many conventions go to Las Vegas every year. Why? There's a lot to do there and it changes every year (referring to entertainment venues). But then the North America International Auto Show (NAIAS) is always held in Detroit in the middle of winter. :lol: It continually pulls in big record crowds every year, but then people only come for a day or two, not a whole week.