Dayton and Indianapolis

There was decsion concerning DCI Championships being held in Indy for 10 years. The biggest complaint was that it would get boring after 10 years. Well, I just realized that WGI has been held in Dayton for over 10 years. Dayton is a smaller city and host a major event with multipul groups. I have never attended WGI or even been to Dayton while I have been to Indy and love the city.

I see many advantages of being in a city for a long time. If Dayton can do it why can't Indy or another city.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Dayton's stadium is too small, only seats about 10000 or so. It would probably be a decent venue for a regular show, but it just wouldn't be suitable for the sort of crowd that DCI is looking to attract for finals.

dayton_welcome.jpg

Edited by Galen

I think you completely missed his point.

Because Dayton's stadium is too small, only seats about 10000 or so. It would probably be a decent venue for a regular show, but it just wouldn't be suitable for the sort of crowd that DCI is looking to attract for finals.

dayton_welcome.jpg

I don't think the original poster was suggesting that we have DCI Finals at Dayton, but rather that because WGI's championships are in the same place every year, so could DCI's.

WGI Championships are on just a weekend, right? DCI Championships are pretty much a week-long event. So there's one difference right there.

There was decsion concerning DCI Championships being held in Indy for 10 years. The biggest complaint was that it would get boring after 10 years. Well, I just realized that WGI has been held in Dayton for over 10 years. Dayton is a smaller city and host a major event with multipul groups. I have never attended WGI or even been to Dayton while I have been to Indy and love the city.

I see many advantages of being in a city for a long time. If Dayton can do it why can't Indy or another city.

I know it's not your point either, but I might as well mention; they held it at San Diego recently, as well.

Every few years WGI goes to a different city...off the top of my head - Buffalo in 91 (?), Phoenix in 97, Milwaukee in 01, San Diego in 04

The reason why Dayton works so well for WGI is that the area loves them. Finiding rehearsal spaces and venues for Prelims and Semifinals don't seem to be an issue.

With DCI it's a bit different - you only need the one venue (2 if Div II/III are elsewhere) and corps can get rehearsal space pretty much anywhere you throw them.

I'm not so sure if this Indy thing is such a great idea. Why are we agreeing to 10 years in a venue that doesn't even exist yet? Seems a bit risky that the first time we will hear a note played in that stadium will be the first corps on the field in Quarterfinals.....

Yes, as Byron has stated, the decision to the WGI Championships in Dayton every year was just made this year. Up until now, it has rotated between cities, though it had been in Dayton quite a bit. Dayton is a great place for WGI. I just got back from there an hour ago. The arena is great, there are tons of hotels around for lines, and lot's of lot space. As for the audience not digging it because it's in the same place, that has yet to be seen. But it has been in Dayton a lot and I haven't heard anyone complaining. People go to finals in Dayon to see great lines. I didn't go down there to hang out. I went watch shows and lots. And I think the same goes for corps. How much the venue varies I think plaes in comparrison to the positive outcomes of holding DCI finals in one place. People go to DCI shows to watch shows. Not to find the best pizza place, go to bars or whatever. In the end, you are there to watch shows. And if the stadium is sweet, than having it in Indy every year could be sweet. It will also help with planning, for both corps and fans. They know how far away it is, what kinds of hotels or schools are in the area. Corps can also start writing their shows to the arena. Like Crossmen coming from off the field in 02. Or BD 04. Knowing exactly what the stadium is like can help designers. And vets fo course will have a much easier time, knowing how the stadium sounds, where things are, what the turf feels like, ect.

Yeah, I don't really see any real negatives about having Finals in Indy for multiple years. The whole "getting bored with the area" seems like a lame argument to me.

So to answer the thread, it does work for WGI. Finals has been in Dayton a lot and I have yet to hear of anyone not digging it. I don't see why it would be all that different for DCI.

Yes, as Byron has stated, the decision to the WGI Championships in Dayton every year was just made this year. Up until now, it has rotated between cities, though it had been in Dayton quite a bit. Dayton is a great place for WGI. I just got back from there an hour ago. The arena is great, there are tons of hotels around for lines, and lot's of lot space. As for the audience not digging it because it's in the same place, that has yet to be seen. But it has been in Dayton a lot and I haven't heard anyone complaining. People go to finals in Dayon to see great lines. I didn't go down there to hang out. I went watch shows and lots. And I think the same goes for corps. How much the venue varies I think plaes in comparrison to the positive outcomes of holding DCI finals in one place. People go to DCI shows to watch shows. Not to find the best pizza place, go to bars or whatever. In the end, you are there to watch shows. And if the stadium is sweet, than having it in Indy every year could be sweet. It will also help with planning, for both corps and fans. They know how far away it is, what kinds of hotels or schools are in the area. Corps can also start writing their shows to the arena. Like Crossmen coming from off the field in 02. Or BD 04. Knowing exactly what the stadium is like can help designers. And vets fo course will have a much easier time, knowing how the stadium sounds, where things are, what the turf feels like, ect.

Yeah, I don't really see any real negatives about having Finals in Indy for multiple years. The whole "getting bored with the area" seems like a lame argument to me.

So to answer the thread, it does work for WGI. Finals has been in Dayton a lot and I have yet to hear of anyone not digging it. I don't see why it would be all that different for DCI.

mmmhmmm I agree! :laugh:

I don't know, my mom uses DCI as her "summer vacation." Her and sometimes friends/family members make a full experience of visiting the city its at. Usually she's had a good time even if by herself.

WGI, however, seems to be more of an "in and out" sort of thing. You can't NOT be watching something unless you get bored.. but there's always something going on, from dawn until dusk. The same can't be said for DCI.

I'm not so sure if this Indy thing is such a great idea. Why are we agreeing to 10 years in a venue that doesn't even exist yet? Seems a bit risky that the first time we will hear a note played in that stadium will be the first corps on the field in Quarterfinals division III prelims.....

See the correction above. :)

Edited by audiodb