Todays Hornline

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes yes, I know. But the mouthpiece is a different matter. Not that this affects me, I play on a 3C anyway. I'm just saying, if someone comes into the hornline who doesn't play on a 3C and is really good, and plays in tune, I see no reason to make him change.

Uniform sounds and technique. That's why some corps use the same mouthpieces and instruments.....

Mouthpieces don't dictate sound. Players will eventually migrate to their personal concept of sound regardless of the piece. The mouthpiece only dictates comfort and ease in doing so.

Using a uniform mouthpiece makes the whole process of achieving a consistent sound across the line somewhat easier, but the concept of sound in the players' minds is far and away the most important factor.

I played on a Schilke 50C this year, a 6 1/2 AL in 2004, and will probably be playing on the Schilke again this year. The other leads played 6 1/2 ALs, except for our screamer (yes, a baritone screamer) who played on a 12C. Call it a cheater mouthpiece or a beginner's mouthpiece, but it got the job done for him... Now if only his second valve hadn't gotten stuck during his solo at finals.....

I played on a Schilke 50C this year, a 6 1/2 AL in 2004, and will probably be playing on the Schilke again this year. The other leads played 6 1/2 ALs, except for our screamer (yes, a baritone screamer) who played on a 12C. Call it a cheater mouthpiece or a beginner's mouthpiece, but it got the job done for him... Now if only his second valve hadn't gotten stuck during his solo at finals.....

Uh oh sounds like some instrument care issues :laugh: I love the 51D because of the dark song and great air speed it easily supports, one of my favorites. Baritone screaming is simple :P once you learn the ease of it and get the endurance

For The Cavaliers...

Trumpets - Played on whatever they wanted, for the most part. I think some leads played 1 1/2 C's but they also had some custom mouthpieces.

Mellophones - IYM Corp. Larry Kerchner

Baritones - Since 2001 most of the guys have played on a Denis Wick SM3.

Tubas - At one point it was Helleberg or equivalent. One guy had a Perentucci at one point. Near the end of the 2005 season, the whole line was given IYM Maximus mouthpieces, which the brass staff loved.

all the mpc will do is make changes in the tone quality (generally speakin). i am wholly agianest the idea of changing a mpc just to have a unifrom mpc size.

now if a player is unable to achieve a good sound for thier part/instrument then they should make a move. but thinking that gear (specifically mpc in this case) must be the same from person to person is quite untrue. go down the line in any pro horn section and youll find this to be the case. guys like manny laureano play on the biggest mpcs they can play on, whereas vizzuti advocates playing on the smallest piece you can while still maintaning a good sound. if you were to look at what they play side by side it would feel like a toilet bowl vs. a peashooter.

far too often to educators and instructors think that there is an end all be all approach to mpc's and equipment. that being siad, i would be foolish to not acknowledge and agree that there is a majority of players who use a similiar size in mpc's for their work. the danger is when a change is made without regard to whats coming out the bell already.

but if a kid is playing on something that is cuasing uncharecteristic sounds to come out of the bell, then by all means take them through a series of mpc's to find the right one FOR THEM, and not the "um yeah, 78x is the best piece around".

now all this being siad, i just realized it may be read with a negative tone. not at all what i meant :)

just my 2 cents