Then and now

I just read on the SCV alumni forum that DCI has decided that it will not allow any alumni corps to perform at finals. According to the forum the Kingsmen will be allowed to perform at semi-finals. Can anyone involved with the Madison effort confirm when DCI will allow your alumni to perform? Below is my response on the SCV alumni forum.

I think this is another perfect example of how far DCI has its head up its…rear when it comes to offering the paying public the best value for its entertainment dollar. I saw the 2-7 performance in ’93 and it was truly amazing! I have a feeling that people in the stands felt the same about our performances in ‘97 and ’02. Maybe DCI is afraid that current fans may discover that drum corps can actually play melodies. Quite frankly I find today’s DC shows, although intricate and difficult, are quite boring and bland. I rarely make it to finals, so I usually ask someone who was able to go. I remember asking Jerry (Seawright) what he thought one year. I’m going to paraphrase him. You know Paul if you sat back, closed your eyes and just listen, you wouldn’t be able to tell one corps from another. I also remember his reaction to his first DCA championships and I don’t have to paraphrase. “That was real DC!” As far as I’m concerned screw DCI! Let’s do PP and go to the DCA finals!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me preface by stating i love alumni corps.

oh, and that 27 was in 94.

However, DCI has been running the alumni corps on friday nights for a while, tho SCV in 02 did do preshow.

also remember, if you have two shows in the same stadium in one day, you need set up time between shows to get things ready for show #2, and also, you have time limits...you can't be running a show til 1 am.

also, please note, finals night is about the kids...not the older crew.

i for one see no issue with them doing it on friday night....if anything, it will boost attendance on friday, which, IMO is the night every corps really goes all out.

I just read on the SCV alumni forum that DCI has decided that it will not allow any alumni corps to perform at finals. According to the forum the Kingsmen will be allowed to perform at semi-finals. Can anyone involved with the Madison effort confirm when DCI will allow your alumni to perform? Below is my response on the SCV alumni forum.

yeah...you know, it IS going to be that way for us (Madison Alumni Corps) as well. We will do our performance on Friday night at semi's after everyone has competed.

There have been several reasons thrown around that we have heard, but I believe the TRUE reason is the one that simply states that finals night should belong to the competing corps alone. After all, it will have been a season of sweat and competition for those corps who make it to finals, and that competition should be left for that purpose alone.

Certainly the arguement can be made that our alumni group is performing for the sheer fun of it, and would be simply a glorified exhibition. I mean, after all, that's basically what it is. But it will be a 250 member exhibition with a really loud sound, and ... I don't know, could be distracting from the actual competition.

The finals night competition belongs to the corps that earned the right to be there throughout the season.

I don't want to contradict myself by saying that if i had my choice of nights to perform, it would certainly be Saturday, but I do understand the reason DCI would rather not.

I think this is another perfect example of how far DCI has its head up its…rear when it comes to offering the paying public the best value for its entertainment dollar. I saw the 2-7 performance in ’93 and it was truly amazing! I have a feeling that people in the stands felt the same about our performances in ‘97 and ’02. Maybe DCI is afraid that current fans may discover that drum corps can actually play melodies. Quite frankly I find today’s DC shows, although intricate and difficult, are quite boring and bland. I rarely make it to finals, so I usually ask someone who was able to go.

I doubt that is the reason since there are just as many of us who absolutely love the shows of today and have no difficulty telling corps apart or finding the melody in their music.

friday night is fine.

At FINALS YOU HAVE JUST SEEN THE FINEST CORPS IN THE WORLD HOPEFULLY DO THERE BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON.

then you want to watch an alumni coprs..

I do not.

friday we are usually waiting for the final 2 or 3 scores and its just positioning for finals at that point.

we already know who is in and out.

The thrill we (KAC) are feeling by just being able to march a night show at the 2007 DCI Championships is great, and will not only be an honor to and ode to our 1972 Championship season, but also an honor to Don Porter, Kingsmen legend and newly elected hall of famer. The fact that the KAC is not marching in the Finals is irrelevant. It's our back yard, we will be going on late and the audience will get a chance to check out a little classic drum corps done in the classic Kingsmen style....I'm loving it and I just can't wait......come check out one of our rehearsals....thank you DCI B)

Edited by felixh

This is the jr corps night , just as it was when all of us alumni/senior guys perfrormed in the jr show. I tell the Kingsmen alumni to think back to 1972 when we won the first DCI. Imagine a corps going on after us that had won American Legion Nationals 35 years before in 1937, one year before the Madison Scouts were founded in 1938. Get real. DCI is for kids and we are the exhibition. I personally would have loved to go on a finals but it's not what DCI wants and it is their show. In reality the quarters show shown all over the US is the best place to perofrm with the largest audience in theaters across the US.

Dan, Thank you for inviting and believing in us. After 35 years and 20 years of inactivity and lots of BS, DCI believed in the Kingsmen enough to give us this opportunity which has turned into 18 months and beyond.

I really look forward to the Scouts this year, Randy is incredible and he and the corps with Sal and all's support will rock the house at semi's, we hope we can do the same next year. Many Kingsmen will be there with the black jackets to honor Mr. Porter as he is inducted into the Drum Corps hall of fame.and everyone in the Scouts.

I think this is another perfect example of how far DCI has its head up its…rear when it comes to offering the paying public the best value for its entertainment dollar.

... Maybe DCI is afraid that current fans may discover that drum corps can actually play melodies.

... As far as I’m concerned screw DCI! ...

Well, please considering all the facts before advocating that DCI hates the people that pay to come to its shows.

One thing to consider is on Friday, there is still something coming up on Saturday. On Saturday, everything has to be broken down and removed from the stadium and it's already a tremendously long night with just the performing finalist corps and the finale. And a lot of kids and spectators have to be on airplanes in the morning as it is.

DCI is all about providing entertainment and putting butts in the seat. Do you honestly think DCI would go out of its way to do the opposite? It's not as if there will be NO alumni corps at the World Championships and Friday is quite a substantial night...it's not as if DCI was relegating the alumni corps to 6:00 am on Tuesday morning. And Saturday IS all about the kids.

I can't do a better job explaining this than Jeff Ream already did in this thread. His response, based on reality and a nurtured consideration of the facts, is excellent. Please re-read it.

I speak only for myself and not for DCI. I hope you enjoy the show...and I hope you can find a melody somewhere within the confines of twelve entire shows on Saturday night. Maybe the new DCP EarAmps will help.

I'm glad it's on Friday and not Finals night - that night is already packed IMO. Having it on Friday is a good way to make Semifinals night more special and exciting - and a good way to increase the crowd that night.

Saturday night should be about the finalists.

Good job DCI :)