The Cadets

well last year they used "vertigo"....so maybe they are ACTUALLY doing an alfred hitchcock trilogy?! conspiracy theorists...go at it.

^0^ <-- i am liking this face in this thread

They did "Vertigo" and "Twisted Nerve", both by Bernard Herrmann. I'm guessing they did "Vertigo" because it was by Herrmann (who did many scores for Hitchcock folms), not because it was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did "Vertigo" and "Twisted Nerve", both by Bernard Herrmann. I'm guessing they did "Vertigo" because it was by Herrmann (who did many scores for Hitchcock folms), not because it was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

i guess you missed the joke... :worthy:

I suppose it could, if they can get it right.

But then again, why give the judges more reasons to slam you?

would the judges be aware that phasing is intentional, if that is what they're planning?

it'd be a VERY fuzzy line -- what phasing is intentional, what isn't, is the phasing done right, IS there a "right" way to do phasing....etc etc....

IS there a "right" way to do phasing....etc etc....

Sure: don't do it. :)

Marian Catholic HS in their 2003 program had some "phasing" on purpose. But it was clear that was the intent of that moment, because you could see the woodwinds (clarinets) in their own time, within their own formation. While other sections were doing the real time, and others also "phasing"--this can be done, but you will need to have a formation or block of people doing it all together "in time" with each other (not in time with the music), in order for it to work. How Marian Catholic made that work was beyond me, but this type of thing has been done, and can be pretty cool if it is rehearsed THEN performed well.

But Marian's feet are always dirty...They phase HORRIBLY while playing some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard a HS marching ensemble play. In fact, I spoke to an alumni who said that their feet were never good. She claimed that was the one problem they were always trying to fix even though musically and visually (forms, sets, transitions) were all clean.

But off topic...

On topic:

What happens to the new fans this year or the ones who didn't follow last year? If they choose to re-hash The Zone, I hope they do so in a way that doesn't make the beginning of the 2006 show as big of a mystery as the entirety of the 2005 show. I'm sure no matter what they do, it'll be executed at the highest possible level- It's the Cadets. If they are going to phase, they are going to phase perfectly.

My idea of what they might do is one of two things.

1) March in time with the tempo with the sets being off from the music. Or maybe the music written on the upbeats and in a different meter than originally in 05. Like in Copeland's Outdoor Overture, the horn have down beats and tubas have upbeats. Something that is together when written on the page and listened to, but looks completely off during the drill.

2) Marching a different tempo than the music.

If either of these happens, it would be awesome!

I'm sure no matter what they do, it'll be executed at the highest possible level- It's the Cadets. If they are going to phase, they are going to phase perfectly.

:laugh:

I totally agree. In fact - I'm sure if they crack notes, they'll be cracking perfectly as well.

:worthy:

All in jest, all in jest....it sounded funny. "Hey man...it's the Cadets."

Anyway... There are many times when I've seen the visual perfectly out of sync with the music. It happens all the time on the DVDs.

*revelation!* :spit:

Does that mean if the Cadets "phase on purpose" and we watch the DVD it would just look as if they were perfectly in time (feet vs. music) but on an "odd" beat, thus making it look as if they decided the left foot was the way to go?!?! *GASP!*

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o