2006 DCI Classic Countdown

actually Ryan, Regiment won brass that year. I marched Euph that summer and there were several times when the brass staff had to pull us back some because we were overpowering the rest of the horn line. Was a NICE feeling LOL

I don't doubt it Mark--you guys WERE freakin' concrete shattering loud (side note--sucky sound system that I had at Irvine didn't get in the way of me actually understanding the power of PR's low brass). However, truth be told, I did lean over to my friend sitting next to me and said, "I'm wondering if the freaky loud baritones were an issue with the score?" But if you won brass, well, there you go. Who the HECK am I?? VK hack that I am...so good job dude. Great show that I watch several times a year on DVD just to reinvigorate me if I'm feeling down.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lolhit:

NICE ONE AAT! HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I'm still giggling to myself 2 minutes later...

I need to lay off the Diet Pepsi for cripe's sakes!!!

Hahahaa you sure carry the VK spirit :) Man do I love this guy ^OO^ !!!!

Show #3 – The 1980 Bridgemen.

The visual portion of this show, however, reminds me why I would NEVER march with the Bridgemen. Any corps that has a member dressed as a chicken for the entire performance, wasting a spot which a horn, drum, or guard member could have been, deserves my scorn. I don’t give a #### about show concept or entertaining the crowd if you’re denying somebody the chance to do what you’re SUPPOSED to do in a drum and bugle corps: Play a horn, play a drum, or spin guard equipment. The Bridgemen are a corps I can listen to but just cannot watch.

*NOTE - This was posted in another thread, and since I saw the above quote in this thread, I've chosen to post my response here, as well.

Kevin,

Thanks for your kind words about the 1980 Bridgemen.

Just a clarification on the "chicken", "bird", or "duck"... (I've heard her called all three!)

First of all, I did NOT care for the idea, but it wasn't my call, of course, and I'm willing to bet that if you asked the members of the 1980 Bridgemen, 80-90% of them would agree with me! I felt the same way about the clowns, and dancing animals, however, they were all part of the desired "three-ring circus" effect which the corps was striving for in "Thunder and Blazes". (By the way, a VERY difficult song to play! Try it sometime!!!

The bird on the other hand, was a whole different story. The person that wore the costume was a very lovely woman named Bernadette. She had marched as a member of the Bridgemen guard in 1979, and, I believe, 1978. She had planned on marching in 1980, but was forced to leave the corps in early spring (March '80), for personal reasons.

"Bernie" was able to clear up the issues which had kept her from marching in the guard, and returned to the corps in May 1980. Unfortunately, her guard spot had already been filled, and someone came up with the idea of the chicken. Bernie was asked if she would be interested, and she responded that "it would be better than not marching at all." (I'm paraphrasing).

While I thought the WORLD of Bernie as a person, I was NOT crazy about the whole bird idea, as previously mentioned. Then again, where is it written that we all "must", or "should" agree with EVERYTHING that our staff members/program coordinators decide to put into the design of our shows???

I'm fairly certain that not everyone is crazy about EVERY single aspect of the design of the show that your respective show coordinator/staff decide to implement as part of your performance. And with ANY organization, certain elements of the show design are NOT "up for discussion", and the bird concept just happened to be one of them.

And just remember, the horns, drums, color guard, and drum majors were ALL doing what they were supposed to do. Our drum line won the drum championship, our horn line placed 4th; we placed third in general effect; we were 5th in marching; and we only lost to the 1st place Blue Devils by less than half a point!!!

Hope that clears things up a bit!!!

Jim Jordan

Edited by overthehillDM

'SOkay bout the chicken......at least she marched.

It's not as bad as this person who had to wear a frog suit in front of a restaurant on a little 2 lane hiway in The Sierra Nevada range on a hot mountain day. I used to feel pretty bad for that frog. Show biz can be so cruel!

Bridgemen were good entertainment, pure and simple. A most unique drum corps experience.

The Kingsmen Alumni Corps has either one or two Bridgemen Guard memebers marching with us: Tori and, I think, Kelly? We're getting so big at rehearsals it's hard to keep the full resumes of our brothers and sisters straight.

Phantom french horns are represented in KAC as well.....Rene, you rock, Sister!

RON HOUSLEY

06-07 Kingsmen Alumni Corps

2nd baritone

Edited by ffernbus3

I don't doubt it Mark--you guys WERE freakin' concrete shattering loud (side note--sucky sound system that I had at Irvine didn't get in the way of me actually understanding the power of PR's low brass). However, truth be told, I did lean over to my friend sitting next to me and said, "I'm wondering if the freaky loud baritones were an issue with the score?" But if you won brass, well, there you go. Who the HECK am I?? VK hack that I am...so good job dude. Great show that I watch several times a year on DVD just to reinvigorate me if I'm feeling down.

VK hack? dude, I LOVE VK, even bought a pair of those crazy pants from the souvie stand one year LOL

VK hack? dude, I LOVE VK, even bought a pair of those crazy pants from the souvie stand one year LOL

Ya mean a pair like these?

SCV11992.jpg

VK Pants Circa 1991

i was ######! barely anyone showed up at my theater bc they didnt advertise that they were showing it. half the staff didnt even know what was going on. they didnt turn the lights off at the start of the show and no one wanted to leave durring the shows to tell them so we had lights on for the first show. they only had 2 speakers working in the very front so i might as well have been watching it in my room on tv. only about 50 people were there and i found myself feeling stupid when i started cheering. im DEFINITELY going somewhere else to watch this next year. to sum it up, i was obviously furious

My dad's quote regarding Star:

"That was just about the longest 12 minutes of my life."

Oh, wow. That is some kind of funny... because that's exactly how I felt sitting in Jackson MS watching that show almost 13 years ago.

Ya mean a pair like these?

SCV11992.jpg

VK Pants Circa 1991

i had those too!!! :laugh: