Go Brigs, 2006!

Actually I thought a T-Shirt with every "Tom Meek-ism" would be a huge sell!

Souvie table Exclusive! :blink:

Here's my favorite Tom Meek-ism to date....

Peter Blake: Oh Tom, what did we ever do before you came along?

Tom: You won!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our friend, Bill Oney, reminds us to mention the passing of Tim Laun, a Brigadier in the early 90's. He was 44.

Tim was a member of the Syracuse City Police force and was decorated for saving lives in one of those classic above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty things about which he would have been the first to say was just him doing what a cop does. I met him in the seventies when I marched with him in the Syracuse 76ers where he played a mean two-valve Mellophone. After his marching days were over he would still check on our parked cars at Brigadier Hall when we were away at a show. I'm not sure Brigadier Hall was even on his beat and I'm fairly sure his superiors didn't know of this out of sector surveillance of our property. Bill Oney could probably expand on the liaisoning he did for us with the City and Law Enforcement folks. I would welcome that. See below his death notice.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

Timothy T. Laun

April 30, 2006 Timothy T. Laun, 44, Deputy Chief and Commanding Officer of the Special Investigations Division of the Syracuse Police Department, died suddenly at home on Sunday from a heart attack. He was born in Syracuse and attended Henninger High School, OCC, and Cazenovia College. Deputy Chief Laun, often times called "Mowdee" Laun by his colleges, joined the Syracuse Police Department in 1982, after two years of service with the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department. In his 24 exemplary years of service, Deputy Chief Laun has received many departmental commendations including the John C. Dillon Award, the Distinguished Service Medal, the Life Savers Award, and the PBA President's Award. He also received the St. John's Certificate-Meritorious, Life Saving Award from the Ontario, Canada Provincial Police for his help in saving a life while he was vacationing in Canada. He was an instructor with the national Weed-n-Seed program regarding multi agency task force design and operations. He was also active in the Weed-n-Seed program in the Syracuse neighborhoods. He was a former volunteer with the Liverpool Fire Department. He is survived by his son, William Thomas Laun; his parents, Patricia and Thomas Laun; his sisters, Linda (John) DeGilormo, Jean (Chris) DeJohn; his grandfather, Howard T. Laun; close friend, Sheila Davie and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. Funeral services are Thursday at 10:30 a.m. in Blessed Sacrament Church. Entombment will be in Woodlawn Mausoleum. Calling hours are Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Goddard-Crandall-Shepardson Funeral Home, 3111 James Street. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Heart Association. Goddard-Crandall- Shepardson 463-4320

Published in the Syracuse Post Standard on 5/2/2006.

Edited by SkipMebden

Hey Everyone:

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the work ethic in the

corps this year. I was planning on being on staff this year...but

marching a spot and playing in the horn line is really a better place

for me this year. All winter I kept hearing how GREAT everyone was.

That it was truly a wonderful unified group of people. I'll tell ya

I was blown away at the first drill camp and was thrilled that this

work ethic continued this past weekend.

This is also an incredibly friendly, positive and as mentioned above

unified group. There are no egos, no whining, no excuses...just lets

get down to business and get this stuff going.....HOW REFRESHING!!!

For those that are in the 2006 Brigs....its a pleasure to be

back...For those still on the fence...come and check it out..I

PROMISE you, you will enjoy it. The music is great the visual design

is wonderful! I am certainly not begging.....I am just stating as a

6 year vet what the deal is this year.

Hope to see have some of you join us again..or simply cheer us on

when we are out on the field this summer.

Happy Mothers Day Weekend...to all you Mothers...:)

Teddi

PS...practice those exercises!!! :)

OMG!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this, Scott. It's hard to believe Timmy is gone... :(

Tim's last year marching with the Brigs was 1994. He never stopped supporting the corps--like taking a little "extra" time to respond to neighborhood noise complaints if we were scheduled to rehearse for another 30 minutes on a Friday night. Way too many stories to go into here...I'm glad I got the chance to know him...44 is just way too young...

Jen

Our friend, Bill Oney, reminds us to mention the passing of Tim Laun, a Brigadier in the early 90's. He was 44.

Tim was a member of the Syracuse City Police force and was decorated for saving lives in one of those classic above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty things about which he would have been the first to say was just him doing what a cop does. I met him in the seventies when I marched with him in the Syracuse 76ers where he played a mean two-valve Mellophone. After his marching days were over he would still check on our parked cars at Brigadier Hall when we were away at a show. I'm not sure Brigadier Hall was even on his beat and I'm fairly sure his superiors didn't know of this out of sector surveillance of our property. Bill Oney could probably expand on the liaisoning he did for us with the City and Law Enforcement folks. I would welcome that. See below his death notice.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

Timothy T. Laun

April 30, 2006 Timothy T. Laun, 44, Deputy Chief and Commanding Officer of the Special Investigations Division of the Syracuse Police Department, died suddenly at home on Sunday from a heart attack. He was born in Syracuse and attended Henninger High School, OCC, and Cazenovia College. Deputy Chief Laun, often times called "Mowdee" Laun by his colleges, joined the Syracuse Police Department in 1982, after two years of service with the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department. In his 24 exemplary years of service, Deputy Chief Laun has received many departmental commendations including the John C. Dillon Award, the Distinguished Service Medal, the Life Savers Award, and the PBA President's Award. He also received the St. John's Certificate-Meritorious, Life Saving Award from the Ontario, Canada Provincial Police for his help in saving a life while he was vacationing in Canada. He was an instructor with the national Weed-n-Seed program regarding multi agency task force design and operations. He was also active in the Weed-n-Seed program in the Syracuse neighborhoods. He was a former volunteer with the Liverpool Fire Department. He is survived by his son, William Thomas Laun; his parents, Patricia and Thomas Laun; his sisters, Linda (John) DeGilormo, Jean (Chris) DeJohn; his grandfather, Howard T. Laun; close friend, Sheila Davie and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews. Funeral services are Thursday at 10:30 a.m. in Blessed Sacrament Church. Entombment will be in Woodlawn Mausoleum. Calling hours are Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the Goddard-Crandall-Shepardson Funeral Home, 3111 James Street. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Heart Association. Goddard-Crandall- Shepardson 463-4320

Published in the Syracuse Post Standard on 5/2/2006.

Here's my favorite Tom Meek-ism to date....

Peter Blake: Oh Tom, what did we ever do before you came along?

Tom: You won!

There's no cause and effect here, I assure you! We're so fortunate to have the quiet wisdom of Tom Meek in the hornline and to have his Honey, Dianne Meek, helping us in every thing we do.

"A high powered executive in real life, he joins the Brigs to be just one of many. Soon, and without seeking the title, he becomes the SUPREME AND EXALTED MASTER OF WIT AND WISDOM that is

:laugh: Tom Meek!"

You are much loved Tom.

Scott Mescon, Sop

Brigadiers 1993-

OMG!!!!!!

Thanks for posting this, Scott. It's hard to believe Timmy is gone... :(

Tim's last year marching with the Brigs was 1994. He never stopped supporting the corps--like taking a little "extra" time to respond to neighborhood noise complaints if we were scheduled to rehearse for another 30 minutes on a Friday night. Way too many stories to go into here...I'm glad I got the chance to know him...44 is just way too young...

Jen

Hey guys, Jenn is right Tim took care of ALOT of so called little probplems especially with the former city administration. It's no surprise the county exec likes the corps. He was a good friend of Tim's.

BILL

:blink: GO BRIGS! A lot!!! :)

Go Brigs!