what constituted a "concert" piece...

There's a photo of Troopers' "Yellow Roses" in the Historical Photos thread.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What tunes did Phantom use for concert numbers?

Just curious...

1976--Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor

There's a photo of Troopers' "Yellow Roses" in the Historical Photos thread.

Showing here...

WYCasperTroopers1974WhitewaterWI2.jpg

You know I knew that, right Tony? B)

Yes sir, Mr Wabbit... :drool:

Just wanted to post some pics of me "In Concert" b**bs (J/K)

Tony B)

Was 1980 for DCI? I remember the Sunrisers having a concert in their 82 & 83 championship years in DCA.

DCA corps were still doing concerts for a few years after 1980, definitely. In Sunrisers' "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" concert tune, 1981-83, we did some movement during the tune, to change sets. (We spelled out S-U-N with one of our sets in that tune.)

After posting this, I realized that Tony White covered the exact same topic a few posts ago. Deja-vu all over again....LOL

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

In my day more than just concert was removed...our shows were 11 1/2-13 minutes long, with prelims around 7 minutes. A LOT of ugly transitions were written into prelim drills to get a corps from point A to B to pick up the drill later in the show.

I hear ya..... I always thought those "shorter show for prelims" rules were pretty bizarre. All kinds of chopped-up shows were the result.

I think it was in 1970 at the World Open... the Troopers did not use their signature "Sunburst" visual move during prelims, and came in 2nd.... they did the Sunburst in their Finals performance and won.

Fran

The guard actually doing stuff was after myu era...in mine they stood rock still at attention.

Concert was usually my LEAST favorite part of a show.

AHA! ;)

I always knew there was a reason you and I never saw eye to eye on drum and bugle corps! There IT is.. by your own admission! :)

Mike..

Concert evolved into a showcase for colorguard! While you people that played instruments stood.. to play.. WE shined. After we figured out that standing at attention wasn't worthy of the equipment in very talented hands.. We blew away the audience. AHA!

Good to know. :)

Sharon

AHA! ;)

I always knew there was a reason you and I never saw eye to eye on drum and bugle corps! There IT is.. by your own admission! :)

Mike..

Concert evolved into a showcase for colorguard! While you people that played instruments stood.. to play.. WE shined. After we figured out that standing at attention wasn't worthy of the equipment in very talented hands.. We blew away the audience. AHA!

Sharon

Oh comparing different eras in Drum Corps. :P Sharon what I remember from my first year (1974) DCA concert was flag bearers at attention but moving the flags around in the holders. Maybe for a big finish it was take the flags out and slam 'em to the ground a few times. By my end (1979) the flag bearers were not doing dance but maybe a step or two to the side or spinning on the pivot foot (like basketball) while doing flag moves. And I'm totally blanking on the rifles. What was Northstar doing (and I can't remember the name of your concert number)?

And :P just looked at the Trooper pic again (after I got done looking at the roses ^0^ ). Anyone (besides us olde phartes) notice that there are no yard markers? Not to mention marching tymps and the Honor Guard (American Flag) section.

AHA! ;)

:P

Mike..

Sharon

Oh, I know all about after my day...and I agree, guards did some great stuff later on during concerts. I still prefer a show without a long set-piece standstill.