Which shows were "off" on finals night?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely BD '05. Does this really need to be elaborated on?

Yes, it'd be appreciated. What was so terrible about their finals show?

How does having a narrator say that their show was off on finals night? (I'm not bashing you Titan, I hope you didnt think I was ... I'm not really bashing one person, I'm just fed up of the narration/amps stuff) If you're going to base it solely on that then they must have had an off season! I'm a firm believer in looking past these sorts of things. I'm not a mod or anything but can this stay a thread about actual ensemble performances that may have been off?

Anyways, I'd probably have to say Madison Scouts in 2005. It was probably just me, or maybe it was just because the Bluecoats show blew me away afterwards. I haven't been to any other finals so I can't say anything.

Edited by capregrookie05

I completely disagree. People wouldn't have given two ####s about BD 05 if it didn't have the "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza" and might have actually cheered at appropriate spots.

But I'm getting off topic. And yes, capregrookie, I was being sarcastic. I don't really think that's a good reason.

Oh hey, what's up, Saracasm? Didn't see that you had made it into this thread? What's that? No one else noticed that you arrived either? Hm....maybe I should spread the word for ya. That sound okay? Alright...talk to you later.

Hey guys....uhh....Sarcasm wanted me to let you know that it stopped by a little while ago to say hi, but none of you noticed. Maybe next time.

Star 1993 was unbeatable.. in quarterfinals. That was their best performance (ever!).

Cadets 1990. The hornline was blazing in semifinals (and is the recorded one on the DCI tapes).

Phantom 1987. In semis, they were within a point of SCV, and the hornline was amazing. In finals, the hornline was less than stellar (see 1990 Cadets), and the guard girl marched most of the show in her skivvies (poor thing!). And they had ensemble issues.

Phantom 1989's drums were 0.5 down from SCV in Finals-- the corps lost by only 0.4. GE-wise, though, finals were good to PR!

Cadets 1995 and 1998 guards were darned near perfect in semis... and both ticked up the place (badly) in Finals.

Blue Knights had a better semis performance in 1994.

We thought Bluecoats 1988 were disjointed in finals.

And of course, BD was flawless in 1999 semifinals. As great as SCV was in finals, BD "let" them share the title.

'87 Regiment - That show was a lock for 3rd place until finals. Listen to the phasing at the beginning of the second piece. Finals performance was a big let-down from semi's. Great show design (especialy when compared to '86), just lacking in some execution at Finals.

'92 Regiment - Tempo in 1812 felt slower than earlier in the week. Some people in the horn line got too excited and blatted at several points in the show. What looked good on paper before the season didn't materialize. It was a good show, but not to the caliber of '91 or '93, or even to semi's of '92.

'85 Scouts - were just missing a spark. Coming in to finals less than a point from 1st, their slight slump was made more evident by Garfield's finals night surge. Possibly overhype from finals being in Madison?

'86 Sky Ryders - peaked in Semi's. Finals were very good, but semi's had that "something extra" - a special connection with the crowd.

'89 Suncoast - ditto most of the comments above in that Semi's were clearly better than Finals. Still, that show produced a great air release (in the opener) that holds its' own to this day, all with a relatively small horn line for a finalist. I sure miss these guys!

'93 Cavies - probably due to the rain causing a slick field and hampering their marching.

Well, that's a few.........

Blue Knights had a better semis performance in 1994.

I'm going to chalk alot of that up to the kind of day we had on Saturday. Before the kids even got up, we were busy trying to wrangle just ONE practice field away from the Frisbee Football tournament going on all around the site before the kids even got up. Waking up early for a relaxing cup of coffee before the day started, getting ready for a quick jog to get warmed up, turning a corner, and seeing ALL the fields covered in collie dogs with bandanas around their necks and really non-tan people chanting team slogans and tossing frisbees (actually just a tad jealous after the shock and panic wore off). That year wasnt really the kind of drill that you would want to just shake up the way you approached visual block, much less start the day a bit later than you planned. Oh well, thems the breaks.