Which shows were "off" on finals night?

SCV can claim to have the very first night "off" at the very first DCI in 1972. I've told that story many times here so I won't bore you with it again. It's really too bad that we had such a lousy show that night because it would have been interesting to see how we would have fared with an "on" show against Anaheim Kingsmen who went out, turned it on and in the process of blowing the roof off, won the night.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a member's perspective, they didn't have a bad show finals night; they were generally consistant through finals week. It was mostly that SCV was apparently on fire during their last show of the season. As a drum corps through, from the point of view of most of the members, finals was their best show of the year.

The fact that they had a narrator has become a reason to bash them in every way possible, it appears.

BD shows take a while to grow on me.

The first time I see them every year, it's hard sometimes to tell them apart from previous years.

:shrug:

I think 2000 Cadets were much better on Friday than Saturday. I also think Cavaliers had a slightly better show the night before as well, but I also think the two corps at the top belonged there on Saturday night regardless of the "off-nights" they experienced.. I just don't think it was a tie by any stretch. Cavaliers should have won outright, IMO.

2003 Cavaliers, absolutely.. great show.. was missing a little spark Saturday night (I remember standing on the field as the scores were announced fully expecting to hear "THE CAVALIERS" a place before the place they actually got).

1994 Regiment. Friday night, I didn't actually get to SEE them (other than on the live feed in souvenir alley) but they stopped me absolutely dead in my tracks that night.. Saturday night was a little flat after that, IMO.

Those are the only recent ones that really stand out in my mind.

Stef

Cadets 2000.

Not even close to how good they were on Thursday night.

True. Cadets 2000 was an odd case because i think Finals night was ripping with energy but not as much technical accuracy as the previous nights

Hmmm off nights would also include 1997 Blue Devils, quarterfinals was better.

Oh yeah and 2002 The Cavaliers. Semifinals show was definitely better for the guard.

Edited by TommySopranoContra

True. Cadets 2000 was an odd case because i think Finals night was ripping with energy but not as much technical accuracy as the previous nights

Hmmm off nights would also include 1997 Blue Devils, quarterfinals was better.

Oh yeah and 2002 The Cavaliers. Semifinals show was definitely better for the guard.

Wasn't some of the flag work to their show re-written right before Finals (week)?

Edited by sobe

1988 Madison. Their semis performance was smokin'. Finals night was off. Particularly their opener. As it turns out, it didn't matter....

1999 Blue Knights. Their quarterfinals performance was one of the best performances I've ever seen. I believe they were in 4th place after quarters. Ended up 7th, passed up by Glassmen and Madison.

<snip>

'89 Suncoast - ditto most of the comments above in that Semi's were clearly better than Finals. Still, that show produced a great air release (in the opener) that holds its' own to this day, all with a relatively small horn line for a finalist. I sure miss these guys!

</snip>

Without a doubt, semis was the performance of the year, by far. We tore the place up that night.

Likewise with 88, MUCH better on Friday than Saturday. Oh well...