My semi-annual repertoire suggestions...

Dude, this is kind of an outdated stereotype.

There's no long hair on this head either, but that doesn't prevent me from knowing my rock and roll...

I believe he's referring to classical as "long-haired." Therefore, he's referring to classical knowledge, not rock and/or roll.

I don't understand that saying, but I've heard it before...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've secretly always wanted to be Phantom Regiment's brass arranger. . .

^0^

All Mozart show. . . do it right. . . it will win.

Chuck Naffier

Amen to that!!!

I wrote something about this before (as have others). Go with powdered wigs for a change of pace? I love the music, and this just screams Phantom to me! Confutatis is a must! Think of the movie "Amadeus". The segment in the movie where Mozart is dying in bed and having Salieri "take dictation" is etched vividly into my memory.

Also, how about Phantom playing "Salve, Regina" from Arrigo Boito's "Mefistofele"? It's the last piece found in the "Prologue in Heaven" section, and from around 2 minutes into the song (I'm going from memory - CD is not close by to verify) through to the end (a total of 4 minutes or so) has Regiment written all over it. If arranged and played in a style similar to the opening of the '96 Defiant Heart show - WOW - that could be a real winner!!!

Keep up the good work Tsar Nikk and ArrangerX!!!

spamalot and Rocky Horror

:OT: Happy barfday there, jnj...

Yes, I've secretly always wanted to be Phantom Regiment's brass arranger. . .

^0^

All Mozart show. . . do it right. . . it will win.

Chuck Naffier

I think if you do an all mozart show "right" your not going to get very far. Really anything from the classical era arranged for drum corps is just not going to sound right, find me an example, chances are whoever arranged it strayed as far away from classical period stylistic writing as possible. If you want to find some great "classical" music to play in drum corps the time frame to look into is the romantic era.

From my background I love all "classical" music, but given the choice of hearing phantom regiment blare out mozart symphony no. 39 or hearing something like ravel's daphnis and chloe or resphigi pines of rome I'm going to pick the latter two everyday of the week and twice on sunday (maybe trice on finals night)

:OT: Happy barfday there, jnj...

uh thanks i think. how did i go OT tho? i like Spamalot and Rocky Horror and think they'd make great shows

Sir Edward Elgar's "Enigma Variations"

I am still waiting for some corps to pull off a kick-butt version of this wonderful opus. I have begun an arrangement for marching band (thank God for public domain music) that I will pick up again after I am done with the Piazzola...there are so many wonderful moments in this music, it's hard to believe no one has done an entire show of it before. Perfect vehicle for Regiment, SCV, Cavaliers, Glassmen, or Crown.

I just heard the Columbus Symphony Orchestra do Enigma Variations on Saturday. The last variation has some really nice low brass licks. The slower stuff just came across as odd to me and would be hard to put on the field. But as you said, there are 14 movements to choose from and there has to be a couple that would do well on the field. That last variation was just cooking IMO.

I believe he's referring to classical as "long-haired." Therefore, he's referring to classical knowledge, not rock and/or roll.

I don't understand that saying, but I've heard it before...

Hmm...I've never heard that saying before.

Then again, if I had a nickel for all the things I'd never heard of before, I'd fund several drum corps all by myself. :)

uh thanks i think. how did i go OT tho? i like Spamalot and Rocky Horror and think they'd make great shows

NO, NO ... YOU didn't go OT ... I did, to wish you a happy day. That's all...