Goodbye 05, Heelllooooo 06.

Now that the 2006 season is pretty uncomfortably upon us (at least, it feels that way if you're marching this year and move-ins are a little more than a week away), I thought we could have a thread where we each took some time to say some things about the 2005 season, lay this thing to rest, and welcome the 2006 season.

I'll go first.

First, in general: I feel that 2005 wasn't a great year for drum corps. I liked the top 2 MUCH better between 00 and 04 (especially 04 and 03). I also think the 99.15 was unwise. we go thirty years before we get a score that high and then the second one is three years later? Please. Also, I think the 99.15 makes some people compare the two 99.15 shows- a comparison that I don't really think is all that valid. Anyway . . .

That said, I think 2006 has a lot of potential. More specifically:

Cadets- I loved the drumspeak. Loved it loved it loved it. I really liked the drum thing in the ballad. I really liked that one crazy drill move in the back left part of the field during the percussion part. I thought this show pretty clearly deserved to win, even if my loyalty is obviously not to the maroon and gold. Good job. Easy on the trumpet tone :P . I think it was stupid of the people on DCP to vote this show off first on drum corps survivor. And uh, great guard. Good luck in 06, Cadets B)

Cavaliers- Not what people usually expect from this corps. I guess that's okay. I could have done without the fanfare and most of the opener. Loved the baseball movement . . . okay ballad. Great mellos! I liked the ladders, and I loved the big band swing-blues closer. That was some crazy drill in those ladders. Nice job out-Blue Devilsing the Blue Devils. Looking for a more Cavalier show this summer. Hopefully we'll get one. Oh. And I wish that the hornline performed as well on finals night as they did on semifinals night. The baritone section always sounded great, though.

Phantom- Jeez, people really love these guys, don't they? I'll be honest. Except for like, 89-96, I don't get it. I just don't get it. Personal taste? Anyway, I think I'll like Faust a lot more than I liked Rhapsody. Hope the drill is better. Oh . . . and the guard is really hot.

Blue Devils- Man. What a misfire! Who ever would've thought that a couple of Yowzas could have annoyed so many people, or that the corps who scored a 20 in brass in finals week last year would get beat by the bluecoats in brass on more than one occasion? I didn't. I'm sure the Godfather will be a contender, though. Also, the 05 show is really awesome when you watch it drunk. At least, I enjoyed it.

Bluecoats- Nice job. I loved the music. Thought the drill was just OK. But great, solid, drum corps show. The connexus clip from march already sounded wonderful. With a visual package to match Doug Thrower's great work, the Bluecoats could really really do some damage in 06.

Madison- It's good to see Madison back where they were before the dark years. Best of luck to them in 06. Hopefully, you won't get beaten last minute this year around :P

Crown- Another one people just seem to love. Again, no offense- I don't really get it. But the hornline does sound good (not quite as good as everyone seems to give them credit for imho) and I'm sure the packages will keep improving as this corps tries to break more ground. Whatever the 06 program is (probably something lofty and spiritual again) I'm sure people will love it. Thanks for not singing again in the 05 program :)

SCV- Phew. Yeah. This was SCV? That's all I have to say. Better luck this summer, it sounds like things may be turning around and a comeback might be in order.

Boston- I liked the 04 show better. I thought it would have judged better if it had been a little cleaner. Ohhh well. I think this year will be a great year for boston. I think the guys from Lawrence Central that Howard's brought in (the BOA monster from Indiana . . . champions in 04) will give this program a much needed kick in the behind. I expect good things!

Blue Knights- I know nothing about this drum corps. I've never even seen the 05 show. Sorry! Good luck in 06 :P

Glassmen- Fighting the good fight. Keep going. I loved the 05 show, especially the pit dude who does the robot in the hip-hop breakdown in the closer (i know you can see it pretty well on the quarterfinals dvd). Glassmen took a drum corps cliche (new world) and poked it with a stick enough until it became cool again. Well done, and good luck with the Beethoven show. Frank Williams is just awesmoe and crazy enough to keep making this hornline improve.

Spirit- Probably the only Saucedo/Gaines show from the past few years I haven't seen B) Good luck. I enjoyed the 04 show a lot. This will be a tough spot to hold on to or move up from. Best wishes!

After the top 12- A lot of potential here. I expect great things. Keep working.

Goodbye, 2005. Hello 2006!

People, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good shows... some not so good. Definetely not my favorite year in drum corps.

Glad this year soudns much more exciting.

~>conner

Also, the 05 show is really awesome when you watch it drunk. At least, I enjoyed it.

Hahahaha.

I didn't like 2005 either, and think that '06 will be much improved. Good idea for a thread though, maybe I'll contribute more at a time when I feel more descriptionally (is that a word?) ambitious.

Glassmen- Fighting the good fight. Keep going. I loved the 05 show, especially the pit dude who does the robot in the hip-hop breakdown in the closer (i know you can see it pretty well on the quarterfinals dvd). Glassmen took a drum corps cliche (new world) and poked it with a stick enough until it became cool again. Well done, and good luck with the Beethoven show. Frank Williams is just awesmoe and crazy enough to keep making this hornline improve.

Poked it with a stick--that's a good way to put it. :wub:

Now that the 2006 season is pretty uncomfortably upon us (at least, it feels that way if you're marching this year and move-ins are a little more than a week away), I thought we could have a thread where we each took some time to say some things about the 2005 season, lay this thing to rest, and welcome the 2006 season.

I'll go first.

First, in general: I feel that 2005 wasn't a great year for drum corps. I liked the top 2 MUCH better between 00 and 04 (especially 04 and 03). I also think the 99.15 was unwise. we go thirty years before we get a score that high and then the second one is three years later? Please. Also, I think the 99.15 makes some people compare the two 99.15 shows- a comparison that I don't really think is all that valid. Anyway . . .

That said, I think 2006 has a lot of potential. More specifically:

Cadets- I loved the drumspeak. Loved it loved it loved it. I really liked the drum thing in the ballad. I really liked that one crazy drill move in the back left part of the field during the percussion part. I thought this show pretty clearly deserved to win, even if my loyalty is obviously not to the maroon and gold. Good job. Easy on the trumpet tone :P . I think it was stupid of the people on DCP to vote this show off first on drum corps survivor. And uh, great guard. Good luck in 06, Cadets B)

Cavaliers- Not what people usually expect from this corps. I guess that's okay. I could have done without the fanfare and most of the opener. Loved the baseball movement . . . okay ballad. Great mellos! I liked the ladders, and I loved the big band swing-blues closer. That was some crazy drill in those ladders. Nice job out-Blue Devilsing the Blue Devils. Looking for a more Cavalier show this summer. Hopefully we'll get one. Oh. And I wish that the hornline performed as well on finals night as they did on semifinals night. The baritone section always sounded great, though.

Phantom- Jeez, people really love these guys, don't they? I'll be honest. Except for like, 89-96, I don't get it. I just don't get it. Personal taste? Anyway, I think I'll like Faust a lot more than I liked Rhapsody. Hope the drill is better. Oh . . . and the guard is really hot.

Blue Devils- Man. What a misfire! Who ever would've thought that a couple of Yowzas could have annoyed so many people, or that the corps who scored a 20 in brass in finals week last year would get beat by the bluecoats in brass on more than one occasion? I didn't. I'm sure the Godfather will be a contender, though. Also, the 05 show is really awesome when you watch it drunk. At least, I enjoyed it.

Bluecoats- Nice job. I loved the music. Thought the drill was just OK. But great, solid, drum corps show. The connexus clip from march already sounded wonderful. With a visual package to match Doug Thrower's great work, the Bluecoats could really really do some damage in 06.

Madison- It's good to see Madison back where they were before the dark years. Best of luck to them in 06. Hopefully, you won't get beaten last minute this year around :P

Crown- Another one people just seem to love. Again, no offense- I don't really get it. But the hornline does sound good (not quite as good as everyone seems to give them credit for imho) and I'm sure the packages will keep improving as this corps tries to break more ground. Whatever the 06 program is (probably something lofty and spiritual again) I'm sure people will love it. Thanks for not singing again in the 05 program :)

SCV- Phew. Yeah. This was SCV? That's all I have to say. Better luck this summer, it sounds like things may be turning around and a comeback might be in order.

Boston- I liked the 04 show better. I thought it would have judged better if it had been a little cleaner. Ohhh well. I think this year will be a great year for boston. I think the guys from Lawrence Central that Howard's brought in (the BOA monster from Indiana . . . champions in 04) will give this program a much needed kick in the behind. I expect good things!

Blue Knights- I know nothing about this drum corps. I've never even seen the 05 show. Sorry! Good luck in 06 :P

Spirit- Probably the only Saucedo/Gaines show from the past few years I haven't seen B) Good luck. I enjoyed the 04 show a lot. This will be a tough spot to hold on to or move up from. Best wishes!

After the top 12- A lot of potential here. I expect great things. Keep working.

Goodbye, 2005. Hello 2006!

People, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

2005 was a good year, but I think 04 (and 03) were better. The top four those two years were pretty solid. I think 05 had a pretty solid lower half of the top 12 though, more so than the past couple of years.

Yes, Triple Forte . . . that is exactly what I said.

I don't really see the need to requote it?