Do vets ever not make the cut?

Up until 2004, Colts had a policy of retaining all vets. The idea was that it should create a stronger family retaining the people who know more and have been there longer. I'm personally glad it changed as it allows for the people who really want to be there...to be there.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM GLAD THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS THOUGHT THAT FOR OVER A YEAR NOW.

Sheesh. Really. I've always wondered.

Hey, what happened to that guy who posted with every little phrase on another line? Liked div 2/3 a lot....remember him? I think he wrote children's stories on the side, away from DCP. Something ___frog, I think. Where'd he go?

OT...BUT I JUST REALIZED WHAT "WWW" MEANS!!! Thats has bugged me forever! :rock:

Edited by jts5032

I actually just realized also. I didn't even know who "Elphaba" was, until recently.

That was #### well put sir!

"The Brass Ring":

The "Ring Dance" and "Corps Jumping" will go on no matter what. What I am talking about was "Loyalty", from the corps members to the units and the units to it's veterans.

A big tip of our old Witches hat to all of those who have commented. I am constantly amazed that anyone takes the time and trouble to do so.

And I'm "Not a guy" (Or "Dead Yet"...with apologies to Monty Python's Spamalot).

Elphaba

Younger musicians think of try-outs as just part of the process. I mean, I've never known anyone [myself included] to think it's unfair of a corps to require it. In school and college, we had to audition for everything...all-district, all-region, all-state, quad-state, all-collegiate, orchestra, wind ensemble, jazz band etc... We're used to the try-outs. So try-outs for drum corps isn't out of the ordinary.

I can't imagine any drum corps turning away its own veterans without some real cause (they were causing problems on tour the summer before, for instance). You may not be doing the same thing you were doing the year before, but they should always be able to find a place for their vets if they have been committed to returning.

For those who wash out of Blue Devils/Cadets/Cavies/SCV and then want to return to their "bottom 6" corps, I can understand not cutting someone from an April camp who has been there since October/November and is committed. Vets who show up from camp one should have a spot in the corps, but you shouldn't be guaranteed a 'safety net' when your other option doesn't pan out.

Edited by Tekneek