Old vs. Young

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is because, IMO, all too often those opinions are made up primarily of griping about this, that, and the other thing the old timers do not like about modern drum corps. Take a corps from 1945 and compare it to a corps from 1975...about as alien as a 2005 corps looks to a 1975 corps vet....IMO.

Also IMO...and of course..that IS what all of this is about..opinions...us old time members whould KNOW better, having gone through the trenches somewhat like todays members do. Having done what I did...when I did (see sig)...I am amazed at the intensity and sheer performance quality of today's marching members....and the wonderful shows created by talented designers.

Whatever era you (the royal you) came from...when you marched you were at the leading edge of marching music...and did the very best you could...just like today.

Mike, marched 64-72

I might take slight issue with an enthusiast of a Corps performance in the 40's not being appreciated by your typical drum corps enthusiast in the 70's and having that 70's enthusiast gripe about that 40's corps show. Those who participated in drum corps in the 40's thru the 70's and well into the 80's in my opinion do not share the same disconnect to the corps shows that came about in the 90's and beyond. Most 70's and 80' s Corps members can relate to that 40's corps show a lot better than the DCI Champion's show of 2005. It is the mid 90's year members and beyond that have the tendency to appreciate the DCI shows of today. I don't want to stereotype here too much, but it is a misnomer to think that the 40's marcher and the 70's marcher don't have much in common and can't relate to one another's show despite the more than 30 years between the 1945 Corps and the 1975 Corps. These folks, despite their vast age and experience levels, tend to be much more closely aligned on their drum corps thoughts on what they appreciate most in Drum Corps programs.

Edited by X DM

I don't post all that much, but I read very often.

This is a FORUM: n. A place where ideas and opinions are exchanged and discussed.

Let's face it. If we all only wrote what others would agree with, all replies would be, "Yep, Uh Huh, Sure was..." and the like.

BORING

How about this: If someone does not agree with you, it is not a personal attack. Saying I liked 06 or 76 is not trashing either year. Don't make sweeping generalizations about kids or geezers, and we can discuss drum corps.

the problem is, some people can NOT take criticism and not make an issue of it. The same thing goes for when people show dislike for the design of a show be it then or now, but especially of a current show...the minute you say " i didnt like this show because...", boom, people immediately jump on you and saying you're trashing the kids.

the kids dont write the shows, they perform what they're given. if they dont like what they're given, they quit or go elsewhere.

if they dont like what they're given, they quit or go elsewhere.

True. So then, if they stay, paying time and money to march that particular show, I'm guessing it's because they take a lot of pride in what they're doing. So when someone says something negative about that show, even about the design, of course it's going to affect. Now I agree with you, saying that you didn't like a particular show is not an offensive thing. I should be able to say I didn't care for Phantom 2005, and a member of that corps should be able to read that and say "that's fine, it's his opinion to have". However, like all things, there is a line. And sometimes that line gets crossed. If said "the designers of Phantom 2005 must have been smoking crack to come up with a design that bad" I would completely expect any marching member of that show to be offended.