Phantom 94

You guys know the end of Phantom 94 right before they crabstep and end the show when there's three chord hits?

Is it just me, or is there a euph overblowing ridiculously (especially on the last two)? It almost sounds like he's accenting the second beat, or brothe (breathed? bruthed?) on the first beat and then just let it all hang out for the second beat . .. the last one is pretty terrifying.

Was this intentional? If someone can shed some light on this, I'd like to know if this was an accident or not.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to find a recording of that and listen for it - one show I've never heard.

If I am not mistaken that euph is our very own Poodle (Geoff Jones).

Edited by MagicAlto99

You are mistaken. That euph was Tim Gray. He just got a little excited on that note. Tim was (is?) a great euphonium player, and one of our loudest players. Grant and I used to have contests with him regarding volume production, and he'd always kick our tuckus.

You know, it's funny...we had a GREAT euphonium line those years, each one of us able to do something to make us stand out. Grant was the master of high range. Tim was the master of volume. I was the master of double and triple tonguing. Smiley had a MONSTER tone, round and full. Lori had tremendous finger dexterity. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Out of that group of baris/euphs I marched with from 1991-1993, we had two DCM I&E championships and two DCI I&E Championships under our belt, between Lori, Tim, and myself. Man, that was a good line.

Anyhow, back to Tim...yes, he got a little overexcited, but I'll forgive him his enthusiasm. Most of us aging out that year were just so happy to have made it through that season without killing D.R., we were just happy to have a good Finals run.

That whole line could take the stadium down to rubble, just on its own. Having stood across the arc from them, I can attest to this. B)

That whole line could take the stadium down to rubble, just on its own. Having stood across the arc from them, I can attest to this. B)

Heh heh....we were dang loud. But so were you guys...just on a different frequency.

Ah, memories....

That 1991 line stands out in my memory as being particularly loud....myself, Grant, Tim, Grady, Smiley, and Lori....wow. When you think about it, that's one #### of a line. 3 I&E winners, none of which were the two soloists! The 1989 line with Amanda Drinkwater, Alvin, and James Hosmer was probably better, but...perhaps not as loud.

Wow...I got a goosebump just now, realizing I was a part of that line, and the 92 and 93 lines as well.

I wish I would have started marching earlier. I could have marched starting in 1987. Sigh.

You are mistaken. That euph was Tim Gray.

You know what, it was Tim Gray that told me it was Poodle. Go figure!

You know what, it was Tim Gray that told me it was Poodle. Go figure!

Hah hah hah!!! :)

Well, I know my memory is fuzzy concerning many things in 1994, but...I'm pretty sure it was Tim, because I remember the look of "sheepishness" on his face when we were marching off the field as ageouts (I always ended up next to him as we marched off). Plus, frankly, he's about the only one who could have overblown that horn that loudly.

I could be mistaken though, it happens frequently enough. Poodle, you out there? You got something to say about this accusation laid at your feet? :P

Does anyone know what Tim is up to these days? I've lost track of him.

Does anyone know what Tim is up to these days? I've lost track of him.

He is living up here in the Detroit area and writing drill for several bands in the area.