Phantom 94

thought that was 93? oh wait... was that an alto?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For musicality - it's JD all the way, but I focussed on the euph solo because that's what the discussion is about. There is no doubt that you guys were beasts out there, and left one heck of a legacy for todays members to try and live up to.

Matt! Geez, it's been a long time!

Ok, so to this day, I'm not 100% sure if it was me, or Tim. I know when I came off the field that night, I was approached by the person in front of me in the wedge (I forget his name), and was told he had never heard volume that loud come out of a horn before, and that his ears were still ringings. Exaggeration, of course, but still... I know I had overhyped that night, but I didn't think I had played THAT loud.

I credited the note to Tim originally. I was sure he was the only one out of that lead line who could get that volume. Yes, he was a monster player, and I was constantly in awe of his abilities. Now, sometime in 95, I saw the corps at a show, and a couple of the Buicks from that year said "You're the guy who played the note!" and stuff to that effect. I explained that it wasn't me, but they insisted the stories they heard were that, in fact, it was. Ok, then.

After that day, I started to take some "credit" for it, but wasn't 100% sure in my mind that it wasn't Tim. I saw Tim very briefly in Orlando at one of the finals weeks, but the topic didn't come up.

Fast forward to a couple months back, and I get a PM from Paul (MagicAlto above), who says he was talking to Tim, the subject came up, and Tim credited/blamed me. The comment from Matt regarding Bouton is the first time I have heard that from another one of the leads.

So, was it me? I don't know, and I don't know if we will ever know 100%. I can tell you I was on a baritone horn that year, while Tim was on a euph. My ears are that good to tell the difference on that particular note, so I'll let someone else decide.

For the record, I'm not particularly proud of overhyping at that point, and playing loud was something I had struggled with throughout my corps career. For further proof, grab a recording of Cardinals in 1993, or the Kingston Grenadiers of 2002, and listen for the baritone.

Anyway, that's my version of events. Maybe Tim can be located, and jump on here and give his side.

Hey Poodle, It's been a REALLY long time!

I can certainly attest to the 1994 line being pretty loud. I remember times in horn arc that it just downright hurt to stand across from them! And who knows who it really was that overblew, but it's a moment we'll all remember!

So, who was louder - the buicks in 89 or the line in 91? I heard stories about the guys in 89 being able to make it feel as if your organs were vibbrating.

Well I marched Euph in 89 (The Buick tag didn't come until years later BTW)

And Dan Farrell had to reign us in several times for overpowering the rest of the hornline.

I can't say if we were more powerful than 91 or not as its hard to tell when you are actually in the hornline, but as of 89 we had several judges tell us we were the loudest hornline they had ever stood in front of.

I would like to think its true LOL

On another note, I can't believe how many guys I marched with in 90 were still around in 94 LOL

Hope to see you all at the party and show in Rockford this July!

How about we just say that both 1989 and 1991 were dang loud bari lines and leave it at that. :-)

I know that "growing" up through the Regiment system, we all heard stories about how wonderful 89's bari line was, and I guess I'm not quite ready to put ourselves up there with that group. Hosmer and I had a discussion about this a few years ago at Finals in Orlando...I say they were equally great lines.

How about we just say that both 1989 and 1991 were dang loud bari lines and leave it at that. :-)

I know that "growing" up through the Regiment system, we all heard stories about how wonderful 89's bari line was, and I guess I'm not quite ready to put ourselves up there with that group. Hosmer and I had a discussion about this a few years ago at Finals in Orlando...I say they were equally great lines.

Well on matters of Baritones, I would not argue with James LOL

Well on matters of Baritones, I would not argue with James LOL

Heh heh...well, in that case, he had us as equals (the 1989 and 1991 lines). So we shouldn't argue with James.

He also thought I was his equal in baritone playing, so obviously he was drunk that night, since James has chunks of players like me in his stool. (Gratuitous Phil Hartman/SNL reference).