Dear George Hopkins,

This discussion started out as a reference to an historical novelty in the activity. It was neither silly, indecent, nor uncivil. As the person who got this thread re-opened I take as much offense at your characterization as I have to other insults on other forums.

As far as what I've seen, the people who've participated in this thread have had 1. a sense of history. 2. a curiosity about other ways to present the idiom. 3. a musical knowledge about artists transitioning between instruments.

If there was some implied lock-step agenda that had to be met to make it acceptable to "decent civil-minded people", I guess we didn't get the memo. Your constant references to RAMD come off as a drum corps form of McCarthyism. It's always the boogeyman hiding under everyone's bed who disagrees with you..................boo!

First off.... thanx all for actually having a great discussion here (some relavent, some not but mostly all enjoyable!!)

Now, I feel the need to toss in an oldie but a goodie..... please keep in mind this is for pure entertainment.

This is strictly for *Humorsake* Did I just make up a word?

At any rate... I thought I'd administer some humor here.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E12223D2D

Too funny!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To speak to the original article, as a young band director in South Carolina, I actually had the opportunity to meet and work with Bill Jacobus towards the end of his career. He was a man who worked with a vision of greater things for his students and for music education in general.

Loris, SC was in the early 60's and is still today about five square miles of tobacco fields. A town with world famous Myrtle Beach only miles away as a neighbor, the citizens of this community were and are extremely poverty stricken. They live as generations before them have, crop to crop, with little hope for a better life.

Jacobus wanted to give these young people something besides a lifetime of hard work to remember. Of course, any music educator knows that the true way to Carnegie Hall is to rent the facility. But, this trip is still a source of great pride for that community 40 years later. To conceive such an idea of a poor band from South Carolina playing in one of the world's most famous venues would be comparable to a drum corps fron New Jersey performing at the closing ceremonies of the Atlanta Summer Olympics. It is hard, even today, to believe it could happen.

In the 1960's, SC bands were very much in the military style. "Corps style" didn't really start taking hold until the mid to late 1970's. The thought of performing such a production as a high school band at the time would be equivalent of a corps director having the fortitude to perform something as radical as... the Bernstein Mass. It just wasn't acceptable to many of the establishment at the time. Now, it is the norm.

Taking the risk of enhancing the educational opportunities for his students by created a drum corps which would at the same time funnel money away from his high school band would be equivalent to a leader of a competitive organization risking the financial future of his own corps by taking over responsibility for another that was going insolvent. It didn't make sense but it was the right thing to do.

Bill's vision was not limited to his own band. While others in the South Carolina Band Directors Association viewed him as a radical who cared not for tradition, many of the changes he fought to implement within the organization are the actual bedrock foundation for our programs of today.

He had the belief that while one should honor the past, it should not limit the future for tomorrow's children.

Few people in the SCBDA would know his name today - forty years removed from trying to implement change within a tradition-laden organization. Most of them preach his gospel though through their own teaching not knowing the battles this man fought and the scars he received by people who feared change.

David

Hey Jeff, "whatever" is my way of saying there's no point in defending my position. You will twist my words to make me the bad guy and you the good guy , but that's ok, your posting reputation on RAMD is well known. Not that I owe you an explanation, I comment on the Cadets because they are the only DCI corps I get to see on a regular basis. Have you noticed yet that you and your RAMD buddies are the only ones participating in this silly discussion? the decent, civil minded people on DCP are staying away from this thread.

Funny, I see many non RAMD posters in this thread. Jim nailed it on the head in his post, but really, the only one throwing insults here is you.......despite your claims of us RAMD regs being scum of the earth.

PKB?

To speak to the original article, as a young band director in South Carolina, I actually had the opportunity to meet and work with Bill Jacobus towards the end of his career. He was a man who worked with a vision of greater things for his students and for music education in general.

Loris, SC was in the early 60's and is still today about five square miles of tobacco fields. A town with world famous Myrtle Beach only miles away as a neighbor, the citizens of this community were and are extremely poverty stricken. They live as generations before them have, crop to crop, with little hope for a better life.

Jacobus wanted to give these young people something besides a lifetime of hard work to remember. Of course, any music educator knows that the true way to Carnegie Hall is to rent the facility. But, this trip is still a source of great pride for that community 40 years later. To conceive such an idea of a poor band from South Carolina playing in one of the world's most famous venues would be comparable to a drum corps fron New Jersey performing at the closing ceremonies of the Atlanta Summer Olympics. It is hard, even today, to believe it could happen.

In the 1960's, SC bands were very much in the military style. "Corps style" didn't really start taking hold until the mid to late 1970's. The thought of performing such a production as a high school band at the time would be equivalent of a corps director having the fortitude to perform something as radical as... the Bernstein Mass. It just wasn't acceptable to many of the establishment at the time. Now, it is the norm.

Taking the risk of enhancing the educational opportunities for his students by created a drum corps which would at the same time funnel money away from his high school band would be equivalent to a leader of a competitive organization risking the financial future of his own corps by taking over responsibility for another that was going insolvent. It didn't make sense but it was the right thing to do.

Bill's vision was not limited to his own band. While others in the South Carolina Band Directors Association viewed him as a radical who cared not for tradition, many of the changes he fought to implement within the organization are the actual bedrock foundation for our programs of today.

He had the belief that while one should honor the past, it should not limit the future for tomorrow's children.

Few people in the SCBDA would know his name today - forty years removed from trying to implement change within a tradition-laden organization. Most of them preach his gospel though through their own teaching not knowing the battles this man fought and the scars he received by people who feared change.

David

wow...thank you so much!

:wub::wub::blink:

'Zactly... Few weeks ago Loris was just a name in History of Drum Corps book to me. Now I find the group was one of the more unique corps ever created. :wub:

I thought ESPN2's DCI Broadcast's mic set ups were terrible. All you can hear from any of the corps was the amplified Pits. You couldn't even hear the hornlines.

Someone better rethink their microphone positons.

Wow I am in awe. after reading page for page this hold topic has really changed from Nani's first post. I have to admit the entertaining value this topic has been.

One of the points about this "Forum" is what is Drum Corps becoming. It reminds me of the conversations of G to Bb, I happen to believe in the Drum and Bugle corps are Brass (keyed in G) and percussion with a color guard, whereas Drum and Brass (Keyed in Bb) and percussion with a color guard are all a part of "Drum Corps". I have said in the past that the 2 (Bugle and Brass) should be judged separately. How can GE fairly judge 2 different sounds and honestly say that one is better then the other.

Next Point is about DCI vs DCA. For the record I will NOT PAY for a DCI ticket that advertises "Drum and Bugle" corps competition (see above). I am surprised that some group has not filed a class action law suit because what DCI is showing is NOT Drum Corps. Bb horns, amplification, singing chorus now go into reed instruments. Thats NOT Drum Corps. Hey you want to play a sax, there are plenty of bands out there.

Now lets go on and talk about RAMD a bit. First a point I know there are folks out there that have bad mouthed me in the past here on DCP. I know I read it. I am glad that DCP was bought by some one like John who has done a great job here. That why I have been posting here. However everyone has an opinion and us guys (Florida still has no effect on me :ph34r: ) have the right to say it. Some of you DCP'ers have sent me hate email on what you were going to do to me if I bought DCP last Thanksgiving. The question I will ask you is "Is that what DCP is about?" This summer I am once again preforming playing my contra. When I am at rehearsal I have a high work standard. That should be the standard here and that is the standard on my Drum Corps USA.

Oh and lastly I can not stand George Hopkins. He is willing to say and do anything to get what he wants and that includes deception and lying . Sometime someone should ask Mike Siglow about him if you want the truth.

Now I am not saying that his corps the Cadets are not outstanding performers, thous kid work hard and put out a great product and yes George has some to do with that along with his great staff and great members.

and finally it has been entertaining Have a great day!!!!! time for a :huh:

Who cares who's fan you are? I started this whole thread. It was aimed at George... simply, for the sole purpose of where he stands on certain isssues AND having the influence he holds. I was sincerely hoping he would take this old / new concept into concideration. That's all. Better yet.... run a join Band / drum corps show. Like the almost nonexistant Sr. / Jr. Drum Corps shows. Pros or cons on this idea? Bueller? Anyone?

The season timing of both might make that tough...just add WW to DCI!