Dear George Hopkins,

It destroys an all brass idiom, IMO. Places already exist for brass and wws. Tell me, what good comes from taking away this all brass idiom when brass and ww idioms already exist?

It provides opportunity for all who are capable to experience what DCI has to offer...and will create some more great music. No different than when mallets were permitted, IMO, or other "non-drummy" percussion. It just broadens the possibilities.

Just because there are academic music programs does not invalidate the value of a place like Tanglewood...or another music camp...or an all state band.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very simple Dan, he is saying that there is more to drum corps than YEA! and even DCI. Don't you agree?

No it's not very simple, Jeff likes to take shots at me cause he knows I'm a Cadet fan. But really, I don't care to take part in this meaningless discussion. Lets just say Jeff is right and I'm wrong, fair enough?

It provides opportunity for all who are capable to experience what DCI has to offer...and will create some more great music. No different than when mallets were permitted, IMO, or other "non-drummy" percussion. It just broadens the possibilities.

Big difference. When mallets were added it provided an extension of percussion, taking the "all brass" out of drum and bugle corps takes all uniqueness out of the activity and makes it no different than any other marching activity. DCI will not risk alienating the fans it has by incorporating woodwinds into any hornline, or they can go ahead and sign off on the junior corps activity diappearing forever.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Big difference. When mallets were added it provided an extension of percussion, taking the "all brass" out of drum and bugle corps takes all uniqueness out of the activity and makes it no different than any other marching activity. DCI will not risk alienating the fans it has by incorporating woodwinds into any hornline, or they can go ahead and sign off on the junior corps activity diappearing forever.

No, IMO it's not that big a difference at all. And it DID raise a huge stink back in the day when their use was first made...69 BAC at VFW's not being permitted to use their bells...thereby ruining their percussion performance at champs...comes to mind.

I don't think DCI is going to add WW any time soon....it's just MHO that they should.

I just read all of your posts on this thread and I have but one question:

Are we related? LOL

--

NanciD

Historical Drum Corps Publications:

http://historical-drum-corps-publications.blogspot.com/

Your personal DJ (via email requests)

Diceman Radio: 24/7 Old Time Drum Corps

Dialup:

http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719

Broadband:

http://www.live365.com/stations/diceman719h

Only in a vague Darwinian way. :laugh:

Not the same. Mallets are an extension of percussion, just like contra bass bugles were an extension of the brass chorale. A flute would extend brass like a viola would extend percussion.

"Thanks for the explanation, Yogi. Now bring on the duck"

b**bs AFLAC

Just because there are academic music programs does not invalidate the value of a place like Tanglewood...or another music camp...or an all state band.

But there are band circuits already in existance. There are marching bands in existance. Why, in your opinion, should DCI become another one of those, when now it has a unique character to it? A separate summer marching band circuit would serve that purpose, but those who have attempted it have not done well. Why would turning DCI into something that has failed be a good idea. Someone suggested separate divisions competing at the same shows. There's an idea. But to turn DCI into something that exists doesn't make sense to me. The cop-out mantra of giving everyone an opportunity is just that, a cop-out. I was a woodwind player. I wanted the experience. I was not left out. I was required to expand my musical education to another instrument. But I was not left out. No one is.