Corps that has come closest to matching the power/sound of Gs

No enough "moments" to let loose. Crown was pretty full sounding last year, but I don't feel like they went for it all the way.

Some of us like loud drum corps, BTW. I know it's shocking to many "musicians" on here of "refined" tastes, but there are lots of people who liked it when drum corps played to the edge of control. It's...dare I say it here on DCP?...EXCITING!

I'm one of those fans who like loud drum corps. I realize tone is "job one" for trumpet players, but drum corps shows are outside on a football field. No one is playing on Mt. Vernon Strads or Monettes. I'm not expecting "recording studio" tone. When I'm at a drum corps show, I want to be entertained and excited by range, dynamics, articulation and good choice of music.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many corps were able to do that on G horns.

I'm one of those fans who like loud drum corps. I realize tone is "job one" for trumpet players, but drum corps shows are outside on a football field. No one is playing on Mt. Vernon Strads or Monettes. I'm not expecting "recording studio" tone. When I'm at a drum corps show, I want to be entertained and excited by range, dynamics, articulation and good choice of music.

Thank you! :beer::laugh::laugh: b**bs

Phantom 2003

Crown 2005

Cavaliers 2003 -- A show not recognized very much, but was explosive loud at times during the show

However, there are plenty of examples where tone quality, intonation, and volume were fantastic on G Horns.

Some standouts include, BD, SCV, Cadets, Suncoast Sound, PR, and Star

Bflats will never produce the blamket power that Gs did

G horns would never produce the blanket tone quality that Bflats do

Its apples and oranges

For the average hornline Gs will always produce more power

and Bflats will always produce better intonation.

That being said, there will always be exceptions.

There were plenty of G hornlines with amazing sound and tone quality.

Regiment 89, BD94.....

and there have been some Bflats with good power,

Regiment 03 for example.

All in all I think the move to Bflat was a good one.

Can always add horns for more power.

There is no quick fix for intonation.

This seems to imply that good tone was not possible on G horns. But I remember Star of Indiana, '93 Cadets, and many others.

It was not just possible, it was done frequently.

I feel that it's more of a writing issue than a horn issue. No enough "moments" to let loose. Crown was pretty full sounding last year, but I don't feel like they went for it all the way.

Some of us like loud drum corps, BTW. I know it's shocking to many "musicians" on here of "refined" tastes, but there are lots of people who liked it when drum corps played to the edge of control. It's...dare I say it here on DCP?...EXCITING!

I also like drum coprs loud and I'm a musician. :P

I'm all for good tone quality etc. However, if I want to hear a concert band sound, I'll go hear the Dallas Wind Symphony.

On a beautiful summer night, outside in a football stadium, I want raw power and passion!!! :laugh:

I also like drum coprs loud and I'm a musician. :P

I'm all for good tone quality etc. However, if I want to hear a concert band sound, I'll go hear the Dallas Wind Symphony.

On a beautiful summer night, outside in a football stadium, I want raw power and passion!!! :laugh:

Agreed! Totally.

I'm a musician, too, and a trained one--but I still like it when people throw out the "rule book" of good playing and just go for it.

Sometimes people one here like to go all "educated" on you, but if you put 'em in a time machine and stood them in front of, say, 92 Madison and their beautiful, ugly, take-no-prisoners sound, they'd be throwing the babies like the rest of us.