Cadets' New Sound Clip

I'm surprised if this is a new recording, because there is very little, if any, improvement from the post a couple of months ago. Part of it might be microphone placement, though. Any thoughts? Her voice still annoys me...too low for her natural range!

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArt...vd8qa5ls1.app1b

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This vocal could EASILY be replaced by an instrumental part as a solo. I can't believe the Cadet members aren't up in arms to have their corps/program being hijacked by a singer, when a brass part would flow so much better and provide a better complement to what it sounds like they are trying to do.

I think it's going to be fabulous. It's really mood music, if you will. I think when people see and hear this live with all the moving and visual treats that may be in store, I think the reaction will be different...vastly different from just listening to a bad audio clip of a horn line prior to spring training. I can already see where they are changing little things here and there to bring out more impact with the music. They tend to spend their winter and spring camps going after the construction issues more so than the musical ones. That's not to say they ignore the musical, but with the talent that they get, they tend to focus on show construction before they go through the ultra-cleaning phase and intense musical details that will come with spring training. This segment of their show has amazing potential and should be one of the unique experiences for performer and fan. And yes, some will not care for it, but I think you may be surprised.

Jonathan

This is just absolutely terrible. I feel bad for the members.

Oh, and don't feel bad for the members. This is what THEY want. If you don't believe me, ask them. But until you know for sure, 100% sure, I think comments like "I feel bad for the members" is really off base. Not every marching member wants the same things that many of you do. Not every marching member desires old-school drum corps, or drum corps with no electronics and no singing, etc. The kids marching the Cadets this year new what they were getting into. And if they didn't, they quickly found out at the early camps. If they don't like it, they can leave. Plenty of other corps to march with, and plenty of corps looking for bodies.

It's not like they were held at gunpoint, and I suspect that they desire exactly what they are getting and performing. You can like it or not like it. You can go to the shows or not go to the shows, but I think the kids also have a right to perform a show that they like, a show that they feel drawn to, and a show that challenges them. But what those kids will tell you is that THEY are ALL in this together...and my money is on them making it work. I believe in the great things these kids can do (all the marching members of all corps). And I know their staff is hard at work editing, fine-tuning, and even re-writing things so this show will be great.

Jonathan

I don't desire for old school drum corps. I desire for quality design. And I understand that the members chose to be there but they don't get to decide the design of the show. And in my opinion that segment of music lacked direction and impact for the idiom. Not to mention the many brass performance errors. IMHO they sounded better last year at this time.