Got any interesting, pitiful, sad stories...

I apparently met myself last summer at a band camp that I was clinicing at...the assistant band director had apparently mached a drum corps so I felt compelled to go share war stories with him during lunch. He looked somewhat similar to myself, age 21 (I was 22 at the time)roughly 6', fairly light blonde hair and bluish eyes. So I asked him what corps he marched with and he said, "A little corps out of Madison, WI". Since I hadn't ever met him beofre I was a little perplexed, but humored him for a moment and let him continue. I asked what he played and he told me he played baritone for his first four years, but his age out year he was drum major.

I mentioned something about never seeing him before, and his reply was that if I saw the 2004 video, I definently had seen him. There I was, right in front of him, and he was claiming to be ME!!!!!

I just let it slide, the director overheard the entire exchange. Don't remember seeing the assistant at the band competitions after that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apparently met myself last summer at a band camp that I was clinicing at...the assistant band director had apparently mached a drum corps so I felt compelled to go share war stories with him during lunch. He looked somewhat similar to myself, age 21 (I was 22 at the time)roughly 6', fairly light blonde hair and bluish eyes. So I asked him what corps he marched with and he said, "A little corps out of Madison, WI". Since I hadn't ever met him beofre I was a little perplexed, but humored him for a moment and let him continue. I asked what he played and he told me he played baritone for his first four years, but his age out year he was drum major.

I mentioned something about never seeing him before, and his reply was that if I saw the 2004 video, I definently had seen him. There I was, right in front of him, and he was claiming to be ME!!!!!

I just let it slide, the director overheard the entire exchange. Don't remember seeing the assistant at the band competitions after that.

Laaaaadies aaaand gentlemeeeeeennnn....WE HAVE A WINNAH!!!!!

Dude...that is too wierd!!

I agree with sam... this is the creme de' la creme of pathetic poser-ness. Gotta admire drochau for not calling him out on pretending to be ...him. Yikes.

And I thought identity theft was only rampant in credit card theft.

It would be nice if this thread could die now, because I actually get bummed out thinking of all the scary misrepresentations going on out there. If these stories are

the ones that have been found out about... there must be 10x as many that haven't been caught. Sad.

Oh, and by the way... if any of you saw the 2004 DCI video, I was the guy that was DM for that little corps out of Madison.

If these stories are the ones that have been found out about... there must be 10x as many that haven't been caught. Sad.

I'm left wondering how many there are right here on DCP who have falsified their resume...

jk

And I agree ... I don't put any stock in signatures ("resumes") for that very reason -- unless I know for sure about a particular person. One of the dangers of screen names is that you can claim just about anything and no one can call you on it like they can in a face to face encounter. "Enhancing" your DCP resume doesn't make your opinions any more or less valid. In the long run, what you post will reveal what kind of a person you are and whether or not you have anything of value to offer.

(At least that's what my professors at Oxford, Cambridge and the Sorbonne told me .... Don't call them, though .... They're very busy ....)

I'm left wondering how many there are right here on DCP who have falsified their resume...

I've gotten "I don't really remember you" from Regiment people I marched with. Not surprising really when you think about big corps and group dynamics...there are plenty of people I don't remember outside the soprano section.

I've found that most people lie about marching shows you'd never check into...odd years where a corps doesn't make finals, the year before a corps goes defunct, etc.

I've also dealt with people who embelish their role with a corps. Marching for 42 minutes during a visual block, leaving the field and driving a truck the rest of the summer does not make you a marching member of the drum corps.

It is disrespectful to the members who work their tails off to finish a season when people make up stories about marching a whole summer.

In 88 Sky Ryders, we had a baritone that claimed to have marched 84 Phantom. It took the vets all of about a fraction of a second to see that he was nothing more than a rookie wannabe. We asked him about his experience at Phantom, and such, and had him talking up a good game in front of everyone. We then asked him what he thought of the DM. His response? "He was a d###"! Given that the DM was actually a girl that year, we called him out right there. I don't think he ever lived that down either. He was a constant target for ridicule. To his credit, after that rather humbling experience, his attitude was much improved and he was actually a pretty good member.