Tale of a Drum Line (SCV)

That was an amazing story, thanks for that Lee. It was a great read.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee: What was the secret to the improvement in the line? Was the staff "relentless", as you put it, throughout the season? Was it the fact that everyone knew they were in serious trouble in the beginning of the season and just worked their butts off all season? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the cool comments about the article, much appreciated.

Mark, to answer your question, I don't think the 93 SCV drum line ever looked at themselves in being in serious trouble, as most of the drum line had never marched in a top 12 corps before. The staff sure knew it, though, and on Memorial Day Weekend, we figured that Vangard was out of DCI Finals unless something happened soon. Scott Johnson has the video of SCV's performance that weekend, and to this day, I've never seen anything worse in drum corps.

I guess the drum line just did whatever was asked of them. Despite all the chaos, the chemistry of the drum lne and staff was amazing, and a year that should have been filled with drum line stress, was actually really fun. Whenever anything was really bad, we just laughed, and kept going.

that's the key Lee. my first year in Shore, we didnt know we were getting good...we just kept at it.

low and behold, the results spoke for themselves